Tested/Testng New Tackle

I was at Wise Buy's in Colwood on Sunday and saw a few packs for sale. I asked the man behind the counter about Winter Springs recommendation and he pointed me towards the Durabait Glow/Bloody Nose needlefish saying it was "dynamite" for a few guys last year. Who am I to argue? ;) So that's my experimenting this winter.

Ya I wouldn't mind giving those a try as well. I'm going to try some dummy flashers dragging just above bottom and try going sans flasher.

https://www.nationalprostaff.com/r25754-a-huge-impact

I have fished our beaches over 25years and have assisted in development and/or testing new lures on the market. I have not seen such a impact that Olympic Tackle squid spinners http://www.olympictackle.com have created for salmon fishing on our East coast Vancouver Island beaches.. Our catch rate exploded last year using the 3/8 ounce sample. We have received for the upcoming season a new batch of 1/2 ounce Squid Spinners to test out and will be able to reach even farther from shore. The biggest surprise last year was we targeted Coho salmon but the Spring salmon could not resist.
getimage-6.php.jpeg getimage-3.php.jpeg getimage.php.jpeg

View attachment 30180 Got my MC Rockets today, can't wait to try em!

Looks like those have bendable metal Strips inside them. Am I seeing that Correctly? If so that may make these artificial strips more effective than ones I've used in the past. I have caught fish on the baitrix Strips, but I never found them a good replacement for the real thing. Part of the problem was they were bulky and far heavier than cut bait. You would have to troll them much faster than a natural strip to get them to spin. If you can put a bend that holds in these Strips then they should fish much better than other types of artificial Strips. Be sure to let us know how they work out for you. Does MC Rocket make mini Strips. I actually had better luck fishing the mini baitrix Strips rather than the full size. They were much thinner and closer to the weight of a natural strip. I found they fished better in a Scotty roller baiter head.

They do advertise "Solid Spine" so I would imagine it is some kind of metal (aluminum)? And they only sell them in 5" and 6" strips. What's holding me back on these are the dots on some of the colours (and the size too) as I haven't really had any luck with anything polkadotted. But also anxious to hear your success stories!

I did some reading on the forums back east about these artificial Strips. They have an aluminum insert so they can be custom bent. They have pretty good reviews, and have won quite a few big derbies on the great lakes. The glow colours are highly recommended, and those would be the ones I'd get without the spots. You can doctor them up with felt pens yourself to add your own colours. Wish they had them in mini sizes to imitate needlefish.

I did some reading on the forums back east about these artificial Strips. They have an aluminum insert so they can be custom bent. They have pretty good reviews, and have won quite a few big derbies on the great lakes. The glow colours are highly recommended, and those would be the ones I'd get without the spots. You can doctor them up with felt pens yourself to add your own colours. Wish they had them in mini sizes to imitate needlefish.

I have quite a wide selection of Mc Rockets and I usually put them on when the guests I have onboard have no experience with bait. The insert is indeed aluminum and of course the roll can be tailored and it is very good. They are not as easy to fish as you may think-you have to watch the rod tip just like a chovie-any hit will turn them into a hockey stick shape and they are no longer fishing-but they are very easy to retune and send down again. As for the dots-I like them for the west coast--remember the pilchard spoons?? Lings love the things but they are hard on them. They can be patched with crazy glue if not torn too badly. I like to put scent on them although they do have an anise scent to them. Blueberry Muffin is my fav. colour in the magnum size.

Says to use the glue they sell for repairing plastic worms to repair tears in the Strips on their website. It says you can use super glue but it hardens the strip.

The creation of the rubber net. They do not dislodge scales or remove the protective slime. It give the fish the best advantage to survive upon release. This year Lucky Strike Bait sent me their collapsible ( retractable ) handle salmon net to test and review.
P8310032.jpg

Attachments

• P8310026test.jpeg
    P8310026test.jpeg
    685.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
My buddy had a rubber net that we used for sockeye in port this past year and it worked awesome, just scooped em and flipped them out with no tangles.

The creation of the rubber net. They do not dislodge scales or remove the protective slime. It give the fish the best advantage to survive upon release. This year Lucky Strike Bait sent me their collapsible ( retractable ) handle salmon net to test and review.
View attachment 30244

That looks great, good to see catch and release nets being made in Salmon sizes. How do you find the weight. Can you use it by by yourself with only one hand.

That looks great, good to see catch and release nets being made in Salmon sizes. How do you find the weight. Can you use it by by yourself with only one hand.
They are fantastic for the fish but also on the gear. No tangles with hooks. The handle does slide into the net hoop and is easy to carry callapsed. It is not heavy but cumbersome . I would not want to go through the bush but saying that open trail or beaches it great. Catching these powerful fish takes two hands. I have used it for sockeye, springs and coho. It would be very challenging trying to use one hand on the rod and one on the net.

I do like the size of the net as the salmon is easier picked up and they seem to relax once in.

They are fantastic for the fish but also on the gear. No tangles with hooks. The handle does slide into the net hoop and is easy to carry callapsed. It is not heavy but cumbersome . I would not want to go through the bush but saying that open trail or beaches it great. Catching these powerful fish takes two hands. I have used it for sockeye, springs and coho. It would be very challenging trying to use one hand on the rod and one on the net.

I do like the size of the net as the salmon is easier picked up and they seem to relax once in.

Good for you for using and promoting nets that are more catch and release friendly.

CJ Special Salmon Lures. They sent me 43 version and various sizes . Tested the Herring and the Needlefish. These lure work best 2.5 mph for small and 3-3.5 for larger with a flasher or with a dummy flasher.

Attachments

• P2140004.JPG
    P2140004.JPG
    296.1 KB · Views: 117
  • P8260016.jpg
    P8260016.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 109
  • P8260015.jpg
    P8260015.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 112
  • P5210006.JPG
    P5210006.JPG
    347.3 KB · Views: 117
  • P5210002.JPG
    P5210002.JPG
    401.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

I used a Frabill conservation series catch and release net the last two summers. I liked this one because of the weight, the extension handle of 48-96" for fishing solo in a 14' boat with 10'6" rods, especially if you run something on a leader. At extension you can't one hand a decent fish obviously so resulted in a coordinated transition, usually using the transom as a fulcrum.

The down side is cost of about $180, and I lost it in the drink towards the end of our trip so no quick replace. I grabbed one of the Gibbs Delta catch and release nets for $80

http://www.frabill.com/nets-accesso...ries-landing-net-with-telescoping-handle.html

One of my earlier manufactures I was testing for created this spinner for saltwater and freshwater. In the fresh they were having great success for salmon and steelhead in the USA . They said they would send me a few sample but 27 of them arrived. SURPISE! I had the opportunity to test them out on the beaches of East Vancouver Island casting in the later part of the season when the Coho get stubborn to bite and they strike out out of aggression. Well these spinners really pissed them off. We caught many Coho. The paint was powder coated so they last allot longer than the painted competitor versions on the market. P3280033.JPG

Back