Tested/Testng New Tackle

I ran braid in 2016 on all of my reels with no side effects. I rince reels after every use.

I'll vouch for Amundson, I really like the product. I have 3 rod/reel combos, (not the TMX5's) but the Salmon Lieutenant MSR05. Can get the reels at Army and Navy for $180 but I got the combo at Cabela's. Regular they were $300 but paid $150 each.

Very impressed not only with the reel but the rods as well.

http://www.armyandnavy.ca/Salmon-Lieut-Mooching-Reel_p_16906.html

I bought a couple of the sumo medium action rods near the end of last summer. They both snapped in the exact same place one day of each other a week into fishing. I called Amundson and they replaced them with the heavy action. No problems yet. They said they were having issues with the mediums breaking.

Im not sure how much I like the idea of a spool full of salt-soaked braid on my fancy reels year-round.

Just to clear the myth, braid does not absorb water but mono does............

Dog breath, I second Boeshield, it works great to protect reels or anything else you want to protect from salt water.

I generally use just straight mono on all my reels, save for the 2 spares I have loaded with braid and a topshot of mono. I guess if it aint broke dont fix it. Kinda thought there would be more "strong" opinions about this.

re: braid/mono absorbing water - Is there any truth to that Sr SQ? Or science to back it up? Not that I know anything about anything (I dont), but I have a hard time imagining a strand of plastic soaking up more water than weaved/braided fibres. Very interesting if true! All things considered, it is nice to have a reel spooled with braid and not have to worry so much about thing like mono stretch and minor abrasions from flotsam etc.

I bought a couple of the sumo medium action rods near the end of last summer. They both snapped in the exact same place one day of each other a week into fishing. I called Amundson and they replaced them with the heavy action. No problems yet. They said they were having issues with the mediums breaking.

It's unfortunate but good to hear they were understanding. I can understand if they have a bad batch or something, it does happen. Thankfully though, they have a good warranty. Maybe I'll mention it and ask if they would replace the second one as well before it breaks.

Just curious, where did they snap? Mine was just above the third guide

I would use mono for backing as long as the manufacturer recommends its use. If you have any worries about drum deformation using mono you could add a small amount of Dacron attached to the drum first. Although, less knots to join different sections of line is usually the more preferable route when spooling a new reel.

That's what I do. I put on 150 yards of mono first followed by the braid. So far, I haven't noticed any issues with the setup.

I have an awesome knot for joining the mono to the braid then a mono leader. I have yet to have any issues with the knot failing or line breaking at the union. I can't find an official name for it but here's the link with a tutorial:

Thats an FG knot! I used it on my old/spare braided setups, and the knot is super strong. I fought a seal holding my 22# fish in its mouth for 45 mins last year and the knot never failed. If I go back to using braided mainline that knot will definitely be the one I use.

I use the Albright special for joining my mono top shots. Pretty tight little knot

It's unfortunate but good to hear they were understanding. I can understand if they have a bad batch or something, it does happen. Thankfully though, they have a good warranty. Maybe I'll mention it and ask if they would replace the second one as well before it breaks.

Just curious, where did they snap? Mine was just above the third guide

They both broke on the top portion of the rod just above where they connect to the bottom portion. If that makes sense. Thunder 21 has broke a medium as well roughly in the same spot.

Thats an FG knot! I used it on my old/spare braided setups, and the knot is super strong. I fought a seal holding my 22# fish in its mouth for 45 mins last year and the knot never failed. If I go back to using braided mainline that knot will definitely be the one I use.

Maybe it's just me, but I actually don't think it's an FG knot. If anything, it may be a 'modified' FG.

The way he wraps it, ties it, and finishes it is vastly different. In my video, he is wrapping both ends of the braid around the mono (main line to the leader) where in all others, it's wrapping the leader (mono) around the main line (braid). In the end, the final product is quite similar. All examples are compression knots, which I think are superior.

So do I, but I've been thinking about switching to the FG knot for its compactness. The Albright special has never failed me though.

BigGuy, that's what I like about this knot (FG or other ;)). When I'm done tying, I try to build up a little bit of clear nail polish on the knot to prevent any snagging on any of the guides, especially when dropping the rigger.

They both broke on the top portion of the rod just above where they connect to the bottom portion. If that makes sense. Thunder 21 has broke a medium as well roughly in the same spot.

That really sucks. I hope the new batch works better for you.

I really like the play in the rod and how sensitive the tips are. It seems more like a medium-fast rod. The tip is sensitive enough to alert to see shakers, P-Cod and even rockfish. And, they are affordable and don't need to break the bank.

Maybe it's just me, but I actually don't think it's an FG knot. If anything, it may be a 'modified' FG.

The way he wraps it, ties it, and finishes it is vastly different. In my video, he is wrapping both ends of the braid around the mono (main line to the leader) where in all others, it's wrapping the leader (mono) around the main line (braid). In the end, the final product is quite similar. All examples are compression knots, which I think are superior.
He refers to it as the simplified FG knot in the video, (so it may be different in minor ways), but I think it is essentially the same knot. That version just seems way easier to tie. As the old saying goes "there's more than one way to skin a cat", There are many versions of the Albright knot. I settled on the Albright Special because I found it easier and more reliable than other versions. In the end when tying knots it comes down to what knot you can tie well, and has good knot strength. Joining mono or flouro to spectra definitely requires a strong no slip knot. It is just a matter of finding the right one for you.

He refers to it as the simplified FG knot in the video, (so it may be different in minor ways), but I think it is essentially the same knot. That version just seems way easier to tie. As the old saying goes "there's more than one way to skin a cat", There are many versions of the Albright knot. I settled on the Albright Special because I found it easier and more reliable than other versions. In the end when tying knots it comes down to what knot you can tie well, and has good knot strength. Joining mono or flouro to spectra definitely requires a strong no slip knot. It is just a matter of finding the right one for you.

Alrighty then! I apologize :oops: Lol! It's been so long since I've watched the whole video :D

I would agree, I think it's way easier to tie than other versions of the FG though it takes a bit of practice to get it seated properly and nice and snug.

And, I prefer to not waste my time skinning a cat. I can't stand them!

Picked up some fantastic Glo tape as shown from a local company they're in Poco or nearby didn't make it out to the showroom but delivery was fast.

http://www.hooptapecanada.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=40

30930-dc0d4acb5bbf64c6f0243e421104e0bd.jpg

Hey guys im new to this Forum. I have been reading it for the last ~2 years & finaly signed up.

I have a question regarding the new AP Tackelworks 5" Herring spoons. Has anyone ran any of them & if so how did you do? I have been using the Sandlance spoons with great success. In fact I have even out fished bait with them.
This summer I will be fishing Hippa Island & hope to spend some time at Freeman rocks. They have BIG herring around there & I was thinking I should maybe give these spoons a try.

Thanks

Back