Tales From The Tyee Pool......2021..

Multiple factorial probably.

Dave mentioned earlier in this thread that there was signs that there were bigger fish around in July perhaps a sign there there was good oceans conditions.

also way less pressure in hida with lots of lodges remained shut. The below that 80cm max restrictions

also area F trollers now restricted to a delayed start in august.

sure there is lots of factors

Fantastic to read about such a great tyee pool season! This was probably already explained here somewhere but may I ask if it is known whether these chinooks in the tyee pool would be all Campbell River stock or are there other stocks that use this area for a pit stop?
If we know these are all staging CR fish, is this uptick of tyees this year maybe a result of some of the newish measures to repopulate the actual CR gravel sections?

Aside from the very rare fish from another system that may have tagged along with fish returning to the Tyee Pool these are all from the Campbell/Quinsam system and mostly from the hatchery, but not all.

Some may indeed be from the various gravel placement projects of past years in the Campbell itself, and some may be from the attempts to spawn big males with big females at the hatchery as best they can. You may have a big female and no big males or vice versa, so it's not consistent in application.
Other reasons for the better returns this year likely lie in the reality of there being no "Blob" in the North Pacific for the past two years and no El NIno conditions for the same period. This enables the upwelling of cooler water that is the genesis of the food chain out there. This has resulted in what is called better "pasture" as there has been much better feeding conditions for salmon for two years now.

Chinook that measured 39 or 40 inches last year were weighing in at 28 to 29 pounds, whereas this year a recent 40 incher weighed 32 1/2 pounds.
More food, better feeding conditions and lack of commercial interceptions north of us all combined to give us what we are seeing this year.
Scroll through this thread and look at some of the fish in the photos. Healthy and fatter looking than many from the past few years it seems to my eyes.

Take care.

Cheering for you next time out Dave, wishing a Big Smiley Tyee your way .

Funny you should mention Fatter healthy looking fish this year, as I've been following this thread that's something I have been saying to myself. They are great examples of beautiful healthy Chinook.

Great to see. A huge BRAVO to those helping this fishery along. Your all a terrific positive example of what can happen with a Fishery when DFO allows a River System to be assisted with a good Hatchery Program.

Thanks again for the thread Dave.
Go get em !

ID4

Just in from tonight and nada for us but a 37 pounder was registered.
Rowed by Mike Newton and boated by Ryan Newton, Mike's son.

Here's a bad photo of it but will post the official photo tomorrow.

DSCN6899.JPG

It was a wild one too.

Take care.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation, Dave. Best of luck to you and your rod holders. May there be many more tyees in all the rivers!

Ryan NEWTON... Mikes Son.

Duh.

Absolutely correct and my apologies for brain fart.

Don't know how I managed that. LOL

Thanks for correction.

Take care.

And here is the photo of the last night Tyee, boated by Ryan Newton.
Caught on a plug.

Tyee31.jpg

Nice fish men and good going.

I am NOT seasick.

I am green with envy.

Take care.

Sorry to bother you all, but I have another Tyee to report.
It's a small one but a Tyee nonetheless and much nicer than the one we didn't catch from my boat.

Rowed by Bruce Herkes and ably handled by Reid Herkes, perhaps a relative, this is one of those Tyee that might not have been labelled as such in days past, but with our modern and well-tested scale it showed 30 lbs. and 2 ounces, so it qualified.
It fell for a plug.

Here's their photo.
Tyee32.jpg

The Herkes name is not unknown around the Tyee Clubhouse so it was a treat to see it on the board this morning.

A big WELL DONE from me, for sure.

Take care.

Well, despite what must have been the finest evening conditions experienced to date this season, not one Tyee was registered last night or this morning.

With a gentle ebb to start the evening the whole fleet enjoyed a nice flow and plugs/spoons that worked wonderfully well, but I saw only four boats row out with fish on, and a couple distressingly close to our location, which always invokes the age old question, "Why not me?"

I'm pretty sure that at one time last night every boat in the pool was facing the same way, something not often witnessed in my experience.

So, a lovely evening on the water and a nice time for sure, but fishless for us.

C'est la vie.

Here's a photo to take up space.

DSCN6901.JPG

Take care.

Well, despite what must have been the finest evening conditions experienced to date this season, not one Tyee was registered last night or this morning.

With a gentle ebb to start the evening the whole fleet enjoyed a nice flow and plugs/spoons that worked wonderfully well, but I saw only four boats row out with fish on, and a couple distressingly close to our location, which always invokes the age old question, "Why not me?"

I'm pretty sure that at one time last night every boat in the pool was facing the same way, something not often witnessed in my experience.

So, a lovely evening on the water and a nice time for sure, but fishless for us.

C'est la vie.

Here's a photo to take up space.

View attachment 70170

Take care.
Dave do you smoke?

Dave do you smoke?

I rarely row THAT hard and fast but I do get all sweaty sometimes. :D

Oh, wait, you probably don't mean that, right?

I have not touched tobacco in at least 12 years after being a smoker for over 30 or so.

It was so easy to quit I did it four or five times during those years.

I am 420 friendly though, 'cause it's legal now. ;)

Ha ha.

Take care.

Yesterday was Hump day and so I did, for an hour and a half virtually non-stop against the ebb current and SE wind while my rod-holder, rumored to have once caught a 48 1/2 pounder, sat back and enjoyed himself immensely.

And after all that he didn't even have the decency to hook a fish for us.

Here he is, grinning at how hard I worked and how much he enjoyed it.

RSCN6907.JPG

Some people.

Take care.

After a busy Friday AM I had a look at the Tyee situation and discovered another one had been caught, behind my back.

Anyway, we now have 33 Tyee registered and this last one created another new member for the Tyee Club, a fellow whose name is Dustin March.

Rowed by Rick Hackinan the fish was taken just after 6:00 AM this morning and tipped the scale at 30 pounds and, I presume, an ounce or so more..
It fell for a spoon

Here it is along with the catching crew and a photo-bomb from a pal.

Tyee33.jpg

Well done men.

On a more personal note, apparently several of my pals were concerned about the state of my health recently, both my physical and mental health, considering my remarkable lack of success again, so they arranged for my Doctor to be the rod-holder last night.
The hope was he would be able to assess both my conditions and perhaps make some discrete suggestions as to how to improve them.

I've just found all this out so may not be exactly correct on how it came to be that my Doctor shared my boat last night, but I CAN tell you what happened.

At the end of the evening he admitted that, even though I'm not in THAT bad shape physically, and I didn't appear to him to be as crazy as several of my pals feared, he still had to be honest in his assessment.

To that end he told me that I was aging, my health would most likely degenerate soon, I might get some debilitating condition and, in fact, I wasn't all that far away from passing on.

Somewhat taken aback, I asked if I could get a second opinion.

"Sure," he replied.

"You're kind of homely, too."

Take care.

After a busy Friday AM I had a look at the Tyee situation and discovered another one had been caught, behind my back.

Anyway, we now have 33 Tyee registered and this last one created another new member for the Tyee Club, a fellow whose name is Dustin March.

Rowed by Rick Hackinan the fish was taken just after 6:00 AM this morning and tipped the scale at 30 pounds and, I presume, an ounce or so more..
It fell for a spoon

Here it is along with the catching crew and a photo-bomb from a pal.

View attachment 70265

Well done men.

On a more personal note, apparently several of my pals were concerned about the state of my health recently, both my physical and mental health, considering my remarkable lack of success again, so they arranged for my Doctor to be the rod-holder last night.
The hope was he would be able to assess both my conditions and perhaps make some discrete suggestions as to how to improve them.

I've just found all this out so may not be exactly correct on how it came to be that my Doctor shared my boat last night, but I CAN tell you what happened.

At the end of the evening he admitted that, even though I'm not in THAT bad shape physically, and I didn't appear to him to be as crazy as several of my pals feared, he still had to be honest in his assessment.

To that end he told me that I was aging, my health would most likely degenerate soon, I might get some debilitating condition and, in fact, I wasn't all that far away from passing on.

Somewhat taken aback, I asked if I could get a second opinion.

"Sure," he replied.

"You're kind of homely, too."

Take care.
Sounds like your doctor is a smart guy and knows what he's talking about, In all seriousness I hope your having a great year and having fun. Best of luck to you Dave.

Dave, thanks for sharing your doctor's opinions. As another "person with seniority", I always appreciate hearing I'm not alone on my position in the circle of life.
Here's my advice to your doctor (given to me by another doctor): "Stay out of hospitals. They're full of germs and sick people!"

Back