Tales From The Tyee Pool......2021..

One of the always interesting things to me is the number of new members of the Tyee Club of BC that are created each year by virtue of them catching their first Tyee.
This year is no exception, as 16 of the 27 Tyee registered have been from new members, something I noted this morning as I gazed at the board, wishing my name was on it.

Wait a minute, I hear you saying, 27 Tyee?
I thought there were only 26?

It's true, we now have 27 Tyee registered and despite the preponderance of newbies doing just that, this morning features a couple of not newbies who teamed up and caught a nice 33 pounder early this AM, and on a spoon.
I present to you one R.D. Berger, on the left, the rodman for this morning's hijinks, along with Mr. John Woodward, no stranger to the world of Tyee fishing and both an adept angler and not a bad rower either.
Good going gentlemen and a big WELL DONE.

View attachment 69863

Hoping the wind stays away and we'll give it another try tonight.

Take care.
Tonight is the night Dave. I can feel it.

Good day all.

After another Herculean effort I must confess we failed to boat a fish last night, much to my disappointment as I still really really want to get my friend into the Tyee Club one of these times.

Saw a good little bite at the usual time with four or more boats out fighting fish at one time, but we were ignored.

Ah well........

Here's some scenic photos to fill space for you.
Last Friday with what one might call a busy sky at Sunset.
Photo by Sharon Korol.

SharonMeBusySky.jpg
Here's what it looks like when some of the old-timers set up on the corner of the bar during the flood, dangling spoons down where they hope a Tyee is lurking. Note how they are sitting along the edge of the current line and are mostly in a tight pack.
It's an intimidating sight for a beginning rower, believe me. One day I might go try that out too, but I basically avoid that area when it's crowded, out of respect for those who know what they are doing.

BarJockeying.jpg
And for a slight change of pace, here are a couple having a minor dispute over who gets to eat first.
Thanks to Karen Wasilenchuk for the Eagle shot.

EagleScrapFlying.jpg

Take care.

Here's a short note following my recent chat with Bob at the clubhouse, a half hour ago.

Apparently there were two incidents last night during the bite, both new to me.
In the one case, and I think R.D. Berger might have been involved, a good fight with a nice fish ended abruptly at boat-side when a Sea-lion took the fish and scurried away with it, much to the chagrin of the involved anglers.

In the other incident a half-hour long fight also ended boat-side when a Seal took that fish.

You don't often hear stories of fish lost to marine mammals when fishing from the Tyee Pool, although the possibility is covered in the regulations, so hearing that it happened twice just last evening was an eye-opener for sure.

Looking like it might be a nice evening in the pool tonight and am looking forward to it.
Saw lots of jumpers earlier today, so I know there are fish there.

Take care.

Here's a short note following my recent chat with Bob at the clubhouse, a half hour ago.

Apparently there were two incidents last night during the bite, both new to me.
In the one case, and I think R.D. Berger might have been involved, a good fight with a nice fish ended abruptly at boat-side when a Sea-lion took the fish and scurried away with it, much to the chagrin of the involved anglers.

In the other incident a half-hour long fight also ended boat-side when a Seal took that fish.

You don't often hear stories of fish lost to marine mammals when fishing from the Tyee Pool, although the possibility is covered in the regulations, so hearing that it happened twice just last evening was an eye-opener for sure.

Looking like it might be a nice evening in the pool tonight and am looking forward to it.
Saw lots of jumpers earlier today, so I know there are fish there.

Take care.
Good luck tonight Dave .. see you on the playground

Bah, Humbug!!

Sorry, I mean I have nothing noteworthy to report as no Tyee were registered last night or this morning, and I haven't heard the bell today although I have been vacuuming my hovel so may have missed it.

Lovely evening out last night and every rowboat within 200 miles must have been out taking advantage of the benign conditions.
The usual little "bite" happened at the usual time and we saw four boats row out with fish on, but were ignored ourselves by the sought after quarry.

Hoping for nice conditions again tonight and perhaps some action for my rod-holders and I.

It could happen.

I used to be able to catch the odd fish.
Summer-run Steelhead from many moons ago.

MeAndSteelheadCamo.jpg

Take care.

Things have slowed these past couple of days regarding Tyee being caught, although a few "unders" have been subdued.

Saw a few boats out with a fish on last night, but nothing other than one second-hand big fish lost story I overheard earlier, but have no details about.

Taking out Rob, of Leaping Lena fame, and his Dad tonight and hoping some new and big fish have moved in.
Got Dad into a small one a couple of years ago but would really love to get him a Tyee.

Just for some variety, here's a photo of something you probably won't ever see again.
Two machines on the point at Jordan River trying to lower the gravel bar that forms at the river-mouth and sometimes created problems when they were trying to get a boom out of the river.
Doubt you'd be allowed to do that these days.
I lived there or nearby for 12 years so I could surf there when it got good.
You can see why.

Smun9.jpg
Photo by Dave Smuntan, R.I.P.

Take care.

Things have slowed these past couple of days regarding Tyee being caught, although a few "unders" have been subdued.

Saw a few boats out with a fish on last night, but nothing other than one second-hand big fish lost story I overheard earlier, but have no details about.

Taking out Rob, of Leaping Lena fame, and his Dad tonight and hoping some new and big fish have moved in.
Got Dad into a small one a couple of years ago but would really love to get him a Tyee.

Just for some variety, here's a photo of something you probably won't ever see again.
Two machines on the point at Jordan River trying to lower the gravel bar that forms at the river-mouth and sometimes created problems when they were trying to get a boom out of the river.
Doubt you'd be allowed to do that these days.
I lived there or nearby for 12 years so I could surf there when it got good.
You can see why.

View attachment 69997
Photo by Dave Smuntan, R.I.P.

Take care.
I like that last pic that’s cool.

They still did that up until about 2010 . I had the joy of assembling/disassembling the dozers on site may times through the 90's and early 2000's. As you mentioned it was done to allow the boom boats in and out of the river

Good rainy morning everyone, and welcome to the tale of Tyee #28, taken late last night (relatively speaking) by the always effervescent Troy Perras, another new member for the Tyee Club of BC.

Rowed by Mark Lagos, an experienced and also successful guy to have on the oars, the 32 1/2 pounder fell for a spoon just before dark.
Tyee28.jpg

Good going men and well done.

My boat remained fish-free last evening as my imported, highly trained, skilled and experienced rod-holders failed me once again.
There was a good little "bite" again and at the usual time too, and we saw several boats row out with a fish on, but nothing for us.
Apparently the word is out among the fish fraternity to avoid the old guy in the black cowboy hat and for goodness sakes, do not bite either of his oh so seductive plugs.
I've tried disguising myself by wearing different hats now, trying to escape the curse I'm obviously suffering from, but my main competitor in the King of The Cabezon annual battle always outs me, loudly and right in the middle of the pool too.
I don't think yelling out:
"Hey, you ugly old bugger, what are you doing in Dave's boat?" is helpful, because I suspect the Tyee hear that and react accordingly by avoiding my boat, which is why I have no Tyee to claim as yet this year.
It's as good a reason as any.

Curse you Bob Main.

Take care.

Ok, I admit it. Every year I am addicted to Dave's stories. Just wondering though, does anybody else notice that tyee after tyee landed this year have taken spoons as Dave laments that once again his lucky plugs have failed him. Dave, just asking, have you given any thought to trying a spoon? No matter what you decide I'm cheering for you every day.

Ok, I admit it. Every year I am addicted to Dave's stories. Just wondering though, does anybody else notice that tyee after tyee landed this year have taken spoons as Dave laments that once again his lucky plugs have failed him. Dave, just asking, have you given any thought to trying a spoon? No matter what you decide I'm cheering for you every day.

Howdy,

The ratio for Tyee registered to date is seven on spoons and 21 on plugs, and yes, I have thought about trying spoons a bit more but it's hard to take off two proven plugs to try spoons, which work best in certain conditions not the best for plugs, so I have been lax this year.

I do believe, based on non-scientific observation, that spoons may select for big fish better than plugs do.
Note size of spoon caught Tyee this year for example.

The other problem with spoons is that they don't float worth a hoot so if you break off.........goodbye spoon, and a couple of my rod-holders have shown a propensity to break off far too often.
In addition, because the hook is attached to the spoon, the rod-holder needs to be much tighter on the fish to avoid giving it even a hint of slack in order to stay hooked up. Much more difficult to successfully boat a spoon hooked fish methinks.
Plugs usually slide away from the hook after a strike so rarely have any influence on the outcome, plus you can retrieve them if you break off.
I lost the spoon that took a 45 pounder in 2013 to one of those snag traps some idiots put in the pool a few years back, and I'm still irked about that.

Anywho, thanks for the kind words and question.
I appreciate it.

Take care.

I'm not out tonight but I think I'll head down to the clubhouse and give those guys out in that boat some advice.

They are never going to catch a wave way out there. :D

ClubhouseSetWave.jpg

Must be kooks or something.

Take care.

Dave,
I feel honoured to be able to read your posts. You’re a legend, and I wish the newspapers would showcase your stories as they capture the love of what fishing is to us. I’m so glad this year has been an epic year for the pool.
I’m 100% rooting for you to find a fish worthy of your canoe. Maybe the ‘30th’ one of the year?
This thread is the best of the best.
Thank you!

Dave,
I feel honoured to be able to read your posts. You’re a legend, and I wish the newspapers would showcase your stories as they capture the love of what fishing is to us. I’m so glad this year has been an epic year for the pool.
I’m 100% rooting for you to find a fish worthy of your canoe. Maybe the ‘30th’ one of the year?
This thread is the best of the best.
Thank you!

Darn it, Mom, when I asked for a little support from you I didn't mean for you to get sloshed and then gush so effusively that I'm now embarrassed to be seen in public and have to wear a variety of hats to maintain my disguise. :D :D

Seriously, though.
Thanks for your kind words and I wish I were truly worthy of them.
I'm just a guy who likes to prattle on and enjoys this annual little event and the activities surrounding it.
I'm fortunate I live right where the action happens so can stay relatively up-to-date with my reports, although it amazes me how seldom I actually hear the bell ring from here, a mere 400 meters or so away.
Some mornings I hear it clearly and others I hear nothing but then find a fish was registered when I later wander down to the clubhouse.

I'm happy I thought of doing this annual thread some nine or 10 years ago now and it serves as my little niche relative to the long and interesting history of the Tyee Club of BC.
This year has been a lot more fun with the increased numbers of Tyee to report and comment on, although still frustrating insofar as, like last year, my "strikes" mostly came in a two day period, now nearly two weeks ago.
Merv on a Monday, then Bill and Karl on Tuesday, three fish on in two nights.
Six days later had a strike with Burt on the rod but lost it, with not a sniff since.

A brutal plagiarizing/ re-vamp of a famous Haig-Brown assertion, coming from me, would be this:

Perhaps, for me, rowing for Tyee is just an excuse to write an annual thread on the internet and meet lots of interesting people.
If so, I'm glad I thought of it. :D

Thanks again, I am very flattered but feel unworthy, having failed so far to produce a Tyee.
Tonight might be a great opportunity to score against the flow, as they say, 'cause I'm taking out the President of the Fly Fishing Federation of BC.
It would be cosmic to get a fly angler into the Tyee Club. LOL

Take care.

I'm baaaack!

Went down to pump out the boat and stopped by the clubhouse to check things out only to discover a new Tyee registered this morning.

Rowed by Peter Wipper and using a spoon, Tim Hanika became the newest member of the club when they boated a nice 35 pound fish this morning.
I didn't hear the bell for this one because I was away at breakfast at 10:15 AM today, out of earshot.

Here they are with their fish, and the second Tyee rowed by Peter this year.
He's no stranger to the leaderboard.

Tyee29.jpg

I think I heard Tim has been trying for 14 years before getting this one.

Good going men!!

Take care.

Having recovered from the crushing disappointment of once again having rod-holders that failed to entice a strike, I was elated to find that someone else managed to subdue a Tyee last night a bit after 8:30 PM.

Rowed by that well-known and highly respected split cane rod builder, one George Deagle, a happy angler named Sarah Deagle boated a nice 35 pounder using a split cane rod with a plug as the lure.
This means Sarah is the latest new member of the Tyee Club and George has outlasted his Rookie Rower status and is now a bona-fide successful rower instead.

Here they are with their catch.

Tyee30.png

Good going you guys and special props for boating it using one of George's hand-made rods.

Good stuff!!!

Take care.

Fantastic to read about such a great tyee pool season! This was probably already explained here somewhere but may I ask if it is known whether these chinooks in the tyee pool would be all Campbell River stock or are there other stocks that use this area for a pit stop?
If we know these are all staging CR fish, is this uptick of tyees this year maybe a result of some of the newish measures to repopulate the actual CR gravel sections?

The ratio for Tyee registered to date is seven on spoons and 21 on plugs,

Close, it's now eight spoons and 22 plugs I think, but I will double-check shortly and correct myself if wrong.

Take care.

Back