Sooke Reports - Spring/Summer 09

Hey justin, i always hear you on 68 ill be out for halis tomorrow, give me a shout (fishflyguy) and let me know how you make out on the halis!

i will be out either 17fathom or william head.

-Steve

Out for Hali on Thursday... What a long run from sunny shores to Constance!!!! All for a bunch of Doggies and nothin flat. :( Lots of big Coho off Secretary 500 ft. 70 ft on the rigger with anything green... I already miss the big springs.

yeah, was frustrating today - double headers galore, but I catch bigger in Langford Lake....think I'll wait until October as well...looked like a couple of older guys were busy cleaning a couple of wilds at the cleaning table. Never really ends the amount of idiots out there.

We release about 6 wild coho between 10 and 16 lbs today. (Can't wait until Oct 1) 3 miles off Secretary from 60 ft all the way down to 150 ft. Still lots of pinks out there mixed in with loads of shakers.

Well i think the cohos are catching on to my tricks. They were able to avoid my fish box today. Hit only 3 wild ones and so many shakers i am going to be having dreams about them. Felt sick at the amount of shakers we were hitting and left to drop the pick. nothing but doggies and a few big hake.

Anyone have any hali luck today? Tailspin?

-Steve

Went out with the family today, couple passes at Possesion for some Springs nothing so we headed out trying to get some fish for my 3 year old to play. 600ft of water double header as soon as we put down, one got off while I was helping my little guy with a nice coho, then he flipped off at the boat, low teens, didn't get a good look to see if it was a hatch or not. Jumping all over the place my little guy thought that was great he was screaming get the net!!! Pinks are still around. Heard a whisper of a spring bite at possession while we were out deep but can't confirm anything 2-3 ish??? Anybody confirm this? Keep trying boys, in 06' we had a good 3 days 16, 17, and 18 of September for big springs and quite few of them. We were one of the only boats out.

Was out today got 2 hatch cohos off of sec about 590 ft mark and a few other wilds and 5 pinks????? what are they still doing here???
guy came in today at SS with a 42 lber from the bluffs trailer park area.
I tried for 3 hours or so for springs off of possesion /sec area blank and didnt see much on that sounder and had a few guys i know that went to all afternoon and didnt see or here much. rumor has it the springs are all ready up the sooke river and good numbers too good to see but bad for us LOL LOL, out again tommorow

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Out 550ft mark off Church today. 2 nice hatchery coho, 3 Pinks and 6 wild coho. Lost a few others at the boat trying to see a fin. Most fish were 100 ft. Water melon spoon and some custom hootchies.
Lots of shakers. Check your line often so you don't miss an opportunity to catch a decent fish and also to get the little guys off before they drown.

Tips

Was out 10:30 - 2. Started way out off sec trolled back in. Did indeed hit a 28 white just past possession at 1:45, we were the only boat around so I can't see a big bite coming on.

Took the wife out to Sunny Shores at around 3:30 for a crack at some Coho.[:p]

Saw Wolf. He said it was getting snotty out there. Yhup, he was right. For my wife who is a fair weather fisher it was a bit of a stretch. Went out to 550' off secretary. Hooked one nice 14lb hatch right away. Shook another half dozen shakers then back to the docks by 5:30.
5' caps out there. She didn't do well. Was happy with the Ho we found but was not as thick out there as I had expected.

HL

fished tidelines this afternoon...caught and released many shakers. had a screamer on and split the hook...could be a northern coho.

fished inside Pedder Bay, few more shakers...boated a feeder spring about 25" long and released it. calm and then choppy sea.

Fished Church today, not much. Headed out to 500-600 feet by church. Nailed 23 fish, mostly wild coho and jack springs. No keepers. Released about a 15 lb Wild coho that jumped 2 times about 4 feet out of the water, awesome. Great day out there. Finished around noon. Big springs must be done. But Coho fishing is crazy. Anything was working. Big spoons and green heads.

cby

Had a great weekend on the water. saturday maanged a 21 lb red spring from Otter and 1 hatchery. Sunday lit up from 9-11 off Sooke Bluffs in 500 ft water for coho and pinks. Managed 3 hatchery to 12lbs and 3 pinks. Must have successfully released a dozen wilds up to 12-14lbs. All fish were below 90'. The million tiny shakers released don't fair so well. A lot seem to end up as floaters but there's always a gull waiting for dinner. All fish caught on spoons/hootcheys in green/white. Bait's a waste of time now cause of the little guys.

I still can't figure how some guys at the dock with a tub full of mixed coho can blatantly claim the unclipped one's are chinook when they are all obviously the same species with white mouth and no spots. Maybe their just being polite instead of saying mind my own business. Karma says their day with DFO will come.

Back