Sooke Reports - Spring/Summer 09

Thanks for the info fishflyguy, funny that that's the one that I get the most hali on swiftsure on....i'll give it a whirl.... I'll give you a yell tomorrow tailspin. Sure hope I have a better day...Good luck to the both of ya and see you out there!

Fished today from 10 to 4 and it was slow. Shakers close in so I ran out deep - very deep - >600' and found a few cohos. Kept one ~ 7#. Then nothing anymore for a while. So trolled all the way in and found another coho school near the head in 300' of water. One other clipped 10# rest wild or lost before identified. Tried the 7" Tomic spoon all day but not a sniff. All on white hootchie in 100' depth. Gorgeous day on the water but not hot action by all means.

Oh, first time this year I got checked by DFO at Cheanuh. He said he handed out several fines today... Excellent! Wish they came regularly.

No he didn't care about the OC. Licence, lures and fish check. I would even questions if the OC card falls under DFO jurisdiction.

Deceiving morning guys! Looked windy back at camp but once out of the basin it was not too bad at all.

Worked my way out from Posession. Seemed like the 2-4lb springs were in closer. As we worked our way out running all the rods stacked we honed in on some descent schools. Ditched all but two rods once we narrowed down to what they really wanted. All I can say is wow. Barely any pressure out there. It's like a ghost town. We were out from 6:30 until around 11:30. Hit several dozen shakers and springs to 4lbs. Hit another two dozen hatch and wild Coho to 20lbs and hit a screamer that has not worked me like that in years. Either a big spring or a monster Ho. While we were trying to get all six rods up and out to take chase, the downrigger button was broken off and while friggen around with what had happened and holding the rod in my hand and trying to help get gear up, the panic started to mount as the spool of line on the reel was almost all gone and the cannon ball was still down. #$%^ Thing turned and ran towards me. All I could do was run to the front while trying to keep as much pressure on him as I could. Nope wasn't to be. Popped without seeing him. I don't mind being schooled every once and a while by a truly worthy fish. Damn nice to get a challenge once in a blue moon. Very cool

Anyways, I have to say that the Coho fishing this year has been outstanding with many fish being larger than I have seen in a looooooong time!

Hey, and no bait needed either. Tidy and easy. Nice end of the season activity for sure.

See yah out there guys.

HL

Hey Highlights? What was workin for ya today? Headed out tomorrow, wondering if the regular is still working or did you find somthing new? Last few times out the big titan and tomic spoons and plugs were working well? Im assuming if u hit lots of smaller fish, you were using smaller spoons or hootchies?

-Steve

Coyote spoons. #4-5 Stacked 30/60 70/100 with two more flat. No flashers. 3.5kts- 4.2kts We limited in hatchery Ho's smallest being 12lb. Biggest low twenties

I'm hitting Renfrew for those bigg'ns later next week.[:p]

***** smaller springs were taken early while we were hunting for the school. At first every rod had a differant offering. Hootchies and bait took those smaller fish. Once a descent school was located all gear was replaced with the spoons.

Today was slower then the last few times out, fished 8-2 and hit 4 wild ones between 8-12 pounds. all on green hootchies at 125ft on the rigger.

-Steve

Hit em the other day from 45 - 70ft on Saturday Roe Bags. Non stop on a cricket hooch and a clover leaf hooch. Heard they might be deeper as well (90 - 115) but haven't tried it yet. Good luck!

Was out off Sec. in 560-580 ft of water. Hitting them up high 30 ft and of course right on the surface with the Bucktail.. Also hit a couple around 110-120. Best Ho action i have seen in Sooke in years..

Back