Sooke Reports - 2007

Friday morning at Otter point and WTF!More seals than boats.Picked up a mascot as soon as the lines were dropped and the ******* followed me up to Muir.Spotty!Couple of shakers at the ebb and 1 dogfish.Very dissapointing.Hit Sheringham,shut off the engine and WTF!Drift jigged a 17 and a hatchery coho.Guess it pays to experiment.
Heard more promising reports coming from Secretary east.Anyone fair better over there?

Got 5 springs today off of secretary 2 big 24,and a 23 and 3 teens killer whales calm then SE winds had it all today people from texas thought it was great!!!!!!

sookefishing2007001.jpg

Good luck Wolf

Nice fish Wolf!

I am wondering if you or anyone has had any luck fishing the high tides in the afternoon/evening?

Thanks!

i guess i picked wrong today, i started late and went to otter for a few hours, nothing but a couple just legal (let em go), i was going to hit secretary but too many boats, and i thought roy would never fish there with so many haaaaaaa[:p], oh well always tommorrow, maybe see you out there roy, finally got my latest boat running, blue double eagle

First trip to Sooke saturday, launched at Pedder and fished Church
for a couple hours, nothing.picked up and moved to Beechey
and hit a 22lb'er on anchovie,purple/chrome head 5' leader.
1/2 hour later ,picked up an 18lb Spring closer to the Trap.
Lots of boats, not much action we could see.
IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1117.jpg

Nice fish fellas. Can't tell for sure but from what I can see in the photos, it looks as though both of your fish were of hatchery origin. We managed a limit of four nice springs early yesterday morning in the same area and all four were hatchery fish. This seems like a very high percentage compared to previous years. Anyone else finding the same to be true? What time of day did you catch your fish?

Was out yesterday morning.Great day on the water, saw maybe A dozen fish caught in and around the head.I was lucky and managed A 24 lb.er not 10 min. after the whales past through. Cheers Wireman.

We hit the the tide lines off the bluffs around 330 and picked up a quick Coho, then otter for the 5pm show and landed a 20. Spectacular day on the water all in all.

Was out yesterday again went out for the night bite. There were half a dozen boats hanging around the head, didn't see any caught. Got lucky again managed an 18# have to start putting up some pics or every one out there will think I'm full of S_ _ T! Cheers Wireman.

Sunday 01 Jul, picked up a small Spring (6lbs) at the western end of Becher Bay and a 23lb Spring at the west side of Church (Donaldson). Both were at around 130ft. Green and gold flasher with crimson anchovy head with about a 4 ft leader. The other was with a purple flasher and a green anchovy head about the same length leader. First was caught around 3:30 the second around 4:15. Tide still on the flood - lots of current.
Cheers,
Embe

So how was the wkend overall for everyone, i did not see many caught at all, we managed 1 sat, 2 sun, and 1 today and a bunch of small ones we threw back
does anyone know the formula to figure out weight, mine today was 38" long by 25" girth, will post pic of it when i get time to download

YOUR FISH WEIGHED 32.09 LBS

FORMULA IS LENGTH X GIRTH X GIRTH / 740 = WEIGHT OF FISH

Nookta Guide - Minor point: Fisheries and Oceans site says divided by 800. Just curious as to where you got the figure of 740 to divide by and if anyone has actually used either formula and then checked it with a scale.

SUDS

I GOT MY FORMULA FROM A ALASKAN FISHERIES WEBSITE A LONG TIME AGO.

i ALWAYS HAVE A SCALE BUT TO BE HONEST NEVER CHECKED THE FORMULA JUST ASSUMED THEY OFFERED THE RIGHT FORMULA

Nokta Guide - I was thinking your formula might be more accurate as the Fisheries and Oceans without using the formula estimate the weight of a 40 inch salmon at 30.0 pounds. I weighed a 39 inch spring at 32 and my son had one 40 inches and it also weighed 32 lbs. The scale we are using is an old el cheapo from CT but we checked it using cannonballs and it seems bang on. It is supposed to measure up to 50 pounds but we can't seem to get it past 32. Ha Ha Unfortunately we never measured the girth on either one. I think I may have to invest in a digital scale before our next trip as bragging rights are involved.

Back