Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

A quick note on Sooke fishing this year "in my opinion"....Basically I cannot complain. I had three or four days this summer when springs were hard to come by but the rest of the time I was able to catch one or two ( or more on the odd occasionj)....who can complain? I certainly can't. I am not an expert fisherman but I do go out 2-3 days per week. Now that the coho are here it has been a blast. What can you do legally that is more fun?

That is good news. One needs to be carful and always check the regs themselves rather than rely on blogs and answers to requests on the VHF. It is surprising how often people ask what the regs are for a certain situation on VHF 68 and get an incorrect answer. That said I believe that Ling and Rockfish retention close in Area 20 on Oct. 1st so hopefully most will check the regs. and confirm that.

I actually always do just to back up again what I said... The last time I was out you heard me say thank Rick to be sarcastic on VHF since you were only one who had right answer LOL...Because several guys were out there and asked what was limit...5 of them got it wrong I remember until you cleared it up. It was just what was going around and this came from several businesses, and some old timers. Of course I dismissed and was told I didn't know the facts.. Many of them should know full well what the reg has always been including myself.:confused:

I am sorry that my post was taking so out of context.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was not expecting to go out today, but Newfie boy was down from up island and he has been spending the last few months doing major renovations rather than fishing, needed a break and had no salmon in the freezer so out we went. The Coho fishing is just getting better and better. We went out off the Bluffs again and fished 530 to 560 WC and a little deeper than yesterday down 40 to 80 on the riggers. No bait today, only the hot glow white hootchies and just ran the two rigger lines. As soon as we put them down they were getting hammered, including double headers. Had the lines down for a little over an hour and had our limit of two clipped and two unclipped and then came in and got out of the rain. Nothing big, 5 to 8 pounds. If you can get out there you should. Using the big single hooks with a small swivel attached and a rather short 50lb leader to liven up the plastic. Really good fish holding and not many getting off doing the twisty on the surface and easy to release.

that was re:

Nope it never has increased in wild retention from just the one you could get after Oct 1.... Being how it opened early It wouldn't be surprising them not changing it...

If anything it will be like last year 1 wild three hatchery Oct 1 if changed.But rumor is regulations will stay the same in place as they are with one and one.... Wait and see..

Just didn't like you talking dirty like that ;)

come on Roy...I appreciate your honest posts, but this is not a promo site for guides looking to promote their business (well actually it is).
Lots of guys had a poor year for springs off Sooke this year, mainly because they were not fishing the right places at the right times. But most will agree it was a poor year in general for Springs for 90% of the fishermen most of the time.
Posts from fishermen who had no luck are just as important as those who were successful and often very vague about where they were catching them.
That's how I see it.
Back to reports, from our experience lately...
Off the Race to Sheringham, 1st or second tide line...doesn't seem to matter. 60 to 120' can't miss and should continue for another couple of weeks with coho getting larger. Bait best, but hootchies, flies (flashtails if you have any) behind a flasher with no more than 40" leads.
Hali fishing is very good right now as well.
That's my report.

X2; Englishman, Please keep posting your reports. You are a great writer and your reports are honest and often entertaining. It's been great watching (hearing) you grow as a west coast angler. Cheers

Wife and I fished 11:30 TO 2 PM. Glow white hootchie and 5" bubblegum squirt were ticket today. Lots of fish at 70 to 120 ft on rigger. Finished with a triple header on the way in but could not get out second clipped. Lots of fun even though we did get a bit wet. Was fishing tomic 602, 20 pulls behind the boat. Only the one hit but what a blast. No shakers today.

X2; Englishman, Please keep posting your reports. You are a great writer and your reports are honest and often entertaining. It's been great watching (hearing) you grow as a west coast angler. Cheers

x3 Englishman I read everyones report on here and as I dont get out there to fish all that often, its encouraging to hear that not all people like myself are always so succesful as some of the guides.... keep up the good work .....C.A.

People, getting your panties in a bunch over Wolf's post. It was joke for Christ sakes. :)

Sheesh. It's not even cabin fever season yet.

Went out a little deeper yesterday and found some bigger hoes.. 60 to 120 on the rigger.. Coho killers and funky chicken spoons with dummy flashers.. Was hoping the rain would bring them up a little ??

Out in 500+ ft of water of the head between 830-3. We had our limit of coho for the three of us by 12. Surprised we only had to release one wild one to find the last hatch. Everything was working coho killers, anchovies. Tried for some lings with no luck. Looking forward to getting out again some time soon to enjoy the great coho fishing!

Out Saturday, Fishing 500+ feet. 77 feet down with White hootchie and Ab and Al #1 (digging through the old stuff and wanted to give it a try). 10 minutes in we got this one. We cleaned it on board but it weighed 11.8 dressed. I'm calling it 15, mostly cause my wife caught it and picked the hootchie. You can argue it's not, but it is 15 in her books. Apparently we should have entered the derby. She let me pose with it. Lost another similar size 15 minutes later at the boat. Ended up with 4.
IMG_2172.jpg

We also saw this little fella. They are HUGE!!! Their name suits them well.
IMG_2214.jpg

That's a good 12# - just because you shove it into the camera does not make it 15#. lol

We got our 4 hos pretty quickly yesterday but closer in than most of you. Fish were shallow but not the size some of you found. A cop car squirt worked well for us - all around 5-6#. Buddy got a decent chum as well. Only realized it was a chum once we saw it side by side with the cohos in the box. Beauty day.

Well, I'm sure it wasn't 15 either. But that's the story we're gonna tell. Biggest coho she's ever caught. I'm sure it will get even bigger over time.

I would think that if it had weighed just under 12 with no guts, the two big sperm sacs, the stomach contents (two large 5 inch herring) and assorted organs must weigh a good amount though.

Back