Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

What a beauty! 15 pounds is no stretch!

Shove it into the camera so English can see what he spends his time perusing the magical mythical beasts that do exist! LOL

-KK

Heading out tomorrow and checked the regs...Can dfo make it more complicated to read? So assuming that 20-3 to 20-7 includes Sooke/Beecher Bay, it looks like we can keep 4, including only one wild. "Portion of Subarea 20-1 (Port San Juan Light), Subareas 20-3 to 20-7: in that portion of Subarea 20-1 (seaward of a line between a square white boundary sign at Owen Point, the Port San Juan Light and Whistle Buoy, and San Juan Point) and Subareas 20-3 to 20-7: Oct. 1 - Dec. 31, 2014: 4 coho per day, 1 may be wild (unmarked)."

If that's the wrong interpretation, I'll be.

Heading out tomorrow and checked the regs...Can dfo make it more complicated to read? So assuming that 20-3 to 20-7 includes Sooke/Beecher Bay, it looks like we can keep 4, including only one wild. "Portion of Subarea 20-1 (Port San Juan Light), Subareas 20-3 to 20-7: in that portion of Subarea 20-1 (seaward of a line between a square white boundary sign at Owen Point, the Port San Juan Light and Whistle Buoy, and San Juan Point) and Subareas 20-3 to 20-7: Oct. 1 - Dec. 31, 2014: 4 coho per day, 1 may be wild (unmarked)."

If that's the wrong interpretation, I'll be.

Looks right to me, 20-5 basically Pedder to Sheringham

Here is a pic that proves that Coho well over 20 pounds are in Sooke waters. Otter Point in the background. Caught a few years back.

This pic of the same fish better shows how big this Coho was. I lost one at the net a few days later that was 3-4 pounds bigger!

Where were you guys yesterday, it was "EPIC" plenty of action to go around for the crew; bounced around off the head ~ 500'...:)

Congrats on your 22 Sculpin. If we land a keeper that size off Sooke it is going on a wall. (edit - it looks like you deleted your post so this post is a little out of context).

We do indeed get the odd bigger Coho off Sooke also. The earliest one for us was an estimated 16 lber which was caught in the 4th week of Aug one year and we did not look closely at and netted it by mistake thinking it must be a Chinook because of its size before releasing it (unclipped of course). As for the largest Sooke Coho into our boat there has been a number from 15 to 17.5 lbs caught in the first two weeks of Oct. The absolutes biggest was with newfie boy, a real hog which we estimated in the low 20’s but unfortunately that one was in the last week of Sept and unclipped Coho were not open at that time for a few more days so we had to release it beside the boat – heart breaker. Perhaps having to release it was best as it keeps us going out there looking for another one. Toasted the phone so don’t have those pictures but found a nice Sooke Buck and a Doe on another phone card, both well short of 20. There are no doubt a fair number of Sooke anglers that have landed a keeper Coho in the 20’s, like Pro’s picture, but we are still looking.

PS I understand that someone else is now using Rockfish as their VHF handle/boat name in JDF. That could cause a little confusion on the VHF.

Attachments

• 058.jpg
    058.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 856
  • 081.jpg
    081.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 851
Last edited by a moderator:
They're out there for sure.Caught a 19.5lb. hatchery a few years back straight off Beechy Head down 150Ft. in about 300
ft. of water the beginning of Sept.Thought it was a spring until it was in the boat and upon further examination confirmed
it was indeed a coho.

This was biggest for me a few years back.... Sideways like pro showed it was thick like that.... Never caught one in the 20 category yet...Again caught out in Sooke in Sept...Was measure length and girth estimated 17-18 lbs an example of nice fish that are out there. And Holy shXX it sure let me know it was big.... Never seen runs like that.... We thought it was a late run spring until we got it close to boat... Unfortunately this stupid one was caught day before the opening of slot... We should be thankful that is lifted now...

51638_450476097792_1780116_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beauty Buddy! Was that 4 years ago? 4 years ago off the head I got 5 coho to the boat in under an hour all 15-20 pounds. It was crazy. I had to chase 2 of them because the runs just never stopped! So much fun! Just skipping along the surface making white water and jumping too.

This thread is starting to prove that you don't have to go to Port Renfrew for hog Coho. Just put in your time and you will get a BIG surprise!

-KK
-KK

YEAH fishing sucks in sooke dont bother going had a limit of hatchery and wilds in less that 4 hours...go somewhere else if you dont want to see white sided porpoises and humpback whales and action a plenty ..... hooks caught the fish very sharp ones 10 ft to 120 ft in water 200 to 550 ft

Attachments

• 27547.jpg
    27547.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 728
good advice

YEAH fishing sucks in sooke dont bother going had a limit of hatchery and wilds in less that 4 hours...go somewhere else if you dont want to see white sided porpoises and humpback whales and action a plenty ..... hooks caught the fish very sharp ones 10 ft to 120 ft in water 200 to 550 ft
Wolf,
thanks for the good advice. Managed to get out on Saturday with my sister and her partner.
30+ Coho to the boat, Andrew P spoon, Gold Nugget Coho Killer and chartreuse hoochies did the damage!

YUP
Yesterday off Secretary was wonderful - whales, porpoises - great weather and - lots of fish from 75 to 150ft in 500 feet of water 4 mph - all on meat.

Stosh

Beauty Buddy! Was that 4 years ago? 4 years ago off the head I got 5 coho to the boat in under an hour all 15-20 pounds. It was crazy. I had to chase 2 of them because the runs just never stopped! So much fun! Just skipping along the surface making white water and jumping too.

This thread is starting to prove that you don't have to go to Port Renfrew for hog Coho. Just put in your time and you will get a BIG surprise!

-KK
-KK

That was that year Steve...

i think i read 4 coho per day in renfrew bay, northside to the river across the sand flats and half way up the southside .

Four hours? What took you so long....;)

On the water a bit late at 11 am. First hit was about 5 minutes in on the 602 tomic plug at 15 pulls. I was setting up downriggers and did not get to it in time. Two wild and a couple of more misses by 11:20. Lumpy out there for my 17 ft boat with chop from the east. Caught another 15 or so but all wild. No hatchery today. 200 to 500 ft and surface to 110 ft on downrigger. MP15, bubble gum squirt and glow white hootchie produced. Came in about 2:30 as the wife had enough of the pounding and had played more than enough fish. Now at home and looking out the window at near glassy water - looks like a good time to go fishing!

-KK
-KK
I think mine was 4 years ago as well,KK.Was it around the first week of Sept. if you can recall?

Back