Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Had to post this. Had an incredible day yesterday when my buddy had his niece out from Regina as she had never caught salmon before and wanted the experience. So the 3 of us fished from the head to the trap and back to Church. Trolling fast with the current. No flashers, Just Jugheads with hootchy inserts. Trolling fast clocking 5 mph on the gps. Current was averaging 2 miles per hour. Stayed in 500 feet of water. 50 feet on the down rigger. Had at least a dozen Coho. retained our 3 hatchery and 3 wild. Water was like glass and this Regina girl will never forget the her first salmon fishing trip. Playing Coho on 9 weight flyrods.

I was working next to you for a good while Coop. Saw you get her onto a nice scrappy fish and then as we parted ways we got our only double header of the day. Coho killers on 9 weights is what we were running! Great fun!

Today we fished off the head in 600+ ft and ended up with around 20 coho to the boat. Nothing over 9 pounds. But sure lots of fun shallow on the fly rods.

-KK

out today from about 8-2, out from beecher and to west , 5 between 5-10 lbs in our boat , about 5 more released and 1 snapped lure right off. had probably about 90% of action on irish mist squirt with 24 inch leader and silver/green spatterback flasher, all aprox. 80 ft on rigger, smallest of them landed on andrew p spoon

Pulling the boat Sunday so have been hitting it pretty hard.
Thursday eve solo fish done with my two 'ho's in a half hour.
Friday out with rockdog we got our 4 and targeted springs. Rocky got gang banged big time by a big spring.
Today with my kids got our fish early and spent some time enjoying the lake like conditions with shorts and flip flops.
See what tomorrow brings :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Kk, wish I had the 6-7 weights with mono on board today. Bet you had a blast!
Maybe tomorrow I will rock the fly rods

Wow, it's nuts out there. Non-stop action of the head all morning yesterday. Green and white coho killer from 60-90 was hottest for us. Mostly wilds. My six year old had a riot and even got to try his favourite Len Thompson Rider spoon. No rigger, bounced in the prop wash with no flasher. The strikes on the surface were insane explosions! He is hooked now! Amazing humpback whale show to top it off!

Im sure English will ruin the good reports soon enough .... LOL if a 6 year old can catch them im sure anyone can.....

Ouch!flaming.gif

Reminds me of one of your earlier posts...where he one - upped your challenge :p

Took my 5 year old son , 2 year old daughter and wife 9-11 this morning lost 4 got 1 wild about 7lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Hot just in front this morning. Could have been done literally in less than 5 minutes - doubleheader right away - a clipped and unclipped both 7-8 lbs. Decided to have some fun and wait for better things to come and man did they ever come. Lots of doubles and lures taken right on the surface. Finished at 10 am exhaustedly with a 9 lbs clipped and 12# wild. Humpback, dolphins, sunny, no wind - man, it was paradise! Best was white hootchie and around 80'. Second best an an apex around 40'. Spoons did not get as much action. Also bites dropped off deeper.

Opposite for us in 600 ft of water off the head--we were getting our fish at 115 ft or deeper--on spoons! ;) Go figure.
Great day to be on the water!
T2

Im sure English will ruin the good reports soon enough .... LOL if a 6 year old can catch them im sure anyone can.....

Sorry English :D

[SKm5xQyD2vE] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKm5xQyD2vE

I have the greatest respect for "Englishman"
He catches his fish when he is in the right spot at the right time.
He gives HONEST reports for his good and BAD days and is a true sportsman and gentleman at all times.
Unlike some on this site...not you Roy, but that was a low blow.
Keep fishin Englishman and keep your reports coming!
This site and fishing in general needs more like you!

Red Hot just in front this morning. Could have been done literally in less than 5 minutes - doubleheader right away - a clipped and unclipped both 7-8 lbs. Decided to have some fun and wait for better things to come and man did they ever come. Lots of doubles and lures taken right on the surface. Finished at 10 am exhaustedly with a 9 lbs clipped and 12# wild. Humpback, dolphins, sunny, no wind - man, it was paradise! Best was white hootchie and around 80'. Second best an an apex around 40'. Spoons did not get as much action. Also bites dropped off deeper.

Alright thats it! Sorry everyone :eek: Ive actually feeling a tiny bit glad when I read the reports of shity fishing this summer. Been pregnant and feeling pukey and was so worried I was going to miss out on 'the best year ever' (that never was) I haven't felt like I've missed out. Maybe missed out on being skunked (unless you were on Profisher or Wolfs boat). This double header coho action sounds good! Going to get the tackle tied up and get out asap!

Been out everyday since Thursday, today was out 2-3, was pretty awesome, not a single shaker today and all 10's boated today..... Very nice afternoon
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 520
Today, my buddy and I went to Otter Point from 7 45 am till 1 pm. I forget to bring my two rod holders, too bad my buddy didn't do a check on our gear for me. We held the rods all the day. My buddy got 6 hits on his rod and lost 4. He kept a nice 8 - 9 lbs wild coho and released undersized coho. He used a blue Tom Mack spoon. I had a pin pop two times and one was hit really hard . I missed striking it, on one shake I missed it. I had to hold the rod and control the motor . It was not easy for me. I saw one nice size about 10 lbs coho jumped out of water about 4- 5 feet in the air and another about 7 - 8 lbs coho jumped out water about 3 feet.. It was an amazing day and beautiful flat water. I used a TKO spoon, an Irish cream spoon, and anchovy. The blue mack spoon is a hottest ticket! 37' , 54, 85, 64' on downrigger. Between Otter point to second tide line. And there's lots of bait in the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back