Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

out today in front sooke. We managed four wild and two hatch in a few hours, returned about eight more. But the weirdest catch was this (in the pic) on the downrigger. Just looked over the edge and there it was on the cable. We think it is part of a whale or sea lion perhaps. Good chunk of skin and blubber.View attachment 14142View attachment 14143

okay. Thats disgusting!

Maybe it's part of that injured whale they were trying to untangle up neat Tofino couple days ago. There was a whale off Beechy this morning but don't know if it's the same one.

Yes saw you out there CJ good work although you didnt venture far from me LOL but i was also keeping an eye on you..BEAUTY day out there a bit clouding drizzle in the am but warm sunny and no wind an awesome day to be on the water!!!!!!!

Finding anything is working the yellow green coho killer the best a pink squirt and the andrew p spoon thrown a few different hoochies at them as well today got a limit in no time as well tried for springs first thing and had 3 on all to be lost one beside the boat.... depths are from 50 to 100 ft pick your fav number ..

Good luck wolf

Yeah...my new lucky colour is follow wolf!

Seriously though it helped to see you out somewhere in that same general area...gave me confidence to stick to my guns and wait for the fish.

Skunk for us out of Pedder down to Beechy. Didn't see anyone else play a fish and no coho at the cleaning table.

7 coho to the boat today - 3 keepers - fished secretary to beechey head - from 100 to 500 ft. on tidelines - fish were caught at 70 + or - on the downrigger. blue green teaser heads, and 5.0. blue green spoon all caught fish. silver betsey or green flashers. lots of action at the slacks.

Got out late and missed the slack tide and ended up fishing out front in the current. Fished from 100 out to 450 and from 30 to 110 down and we got skunked with just one hit that did not stick. Lots of weed and kelp islands in close under about 260 feet of water column and it was hard to see it in the slop and rips. Apparently some were still being caught at that time way out around 550 and less than 50 ft. down.

It was bumpy with the South Easters building around mid day and was in about 1.5 hours of (radar on) fog as well. With the sloppy south easters building we decided not to go out past 450 which was probably a mistake in terms of fishing for the mid day but that would have been another K or so coming back in with building waves slapping us in the side. Some boats fished in the lee of Secretary and we gave it quick try with no luck and lots of weed. I understand the fishing earlier was better and likely later for the tide change. Congrats. to those who did get some salmon up to the boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out in the little boat in the slop this afternoon. Nearly turned around off the bat but crept up into the Lee of secretary and trolled around for a couple of hours between 150 and 250. Two nice wilds 50 and 70 on straight chovies. Pretty marginal conditions for us. Hope the westerly holds off for most of tomorrow. One fish had an 18 cm pink smolt and one had some kind of true cod in it

Was out fr 7-2 today.Landed 5 and had a few other hits as well. Half and half anchovy and hootchy. 99 and 121 were the best depths in 5-600 ft of water but we had a double 121 and back rod 58. Slow to start but picked up mid day. The guy at cheanuh said he weighed a 35 lber fr the head today bright and silver.

YES the SE was nasty today big wave dave had it wrong today.... but ill let it slide LOVE that site and that was a freak of wind for this time of year???
Got out fish today same depths and same gear using a lil green squirt and they seem to be liking that as well.
Fish were a bit bigger today avg was close to 10 lbs and mostly all females...found they were in the 280 to 350 ft mark.

Good luck wolf

Unbelievable amount of bait in the water right now. Glad the coho are aggressive feeders. Seemed pretty slow in close so headed out towards the border. Consistent action until the tide change. 90 feet was the most productive. 4 mph troll with the current and twisting bait. Almost guaranteed strike on the turn, and almost nothing trolling against the current.
Couldn't find our hatch fish, but lots of fun trying.

Well another fantastic day on the sooke waters limit of both cohos and a spring too out there nice 12 lber....The water was like a mill pond so flat and calm love those days especially after yesterdays SE......
found the 450 to 550 ft mark out there and like others 50 to 100 ft

Season is winding down unfortunately only have a few trips left and done for the Year .......Want to personally thank the people on here and the people that went fishing with me new and returning clients have a few much needed days off... the COHO are the best ive ever seen for a while get out while they are here some VERY nice fish to be had

Good luck to all Wolf

Well another fantastic day on the sooke waters limit of both cohos and a spring too out there nice 12 lber....The water was like a mill pond so flat and calm love those days especially after yesterdays SE......
found the 450 to 550 ft mark out there and like others 50 to 100 ft

Season is winding down unfortunately only have a few trips left and done for the Year .......Want to personally thank the people on here and the people that went fishing with me new and returning clients have a few much needed days off... the COHO are the best ive ever seen for a while get out while they are here some VERY nice fish to be had

Good luck to all Wolf

Same Wolf comparing it to last few years there is a major qty out there and we haven't even got the first rains yet..Wait till next week it going to be batter and better.... There 8-10 lbs now wait until Oct...

Fished the head thurs fri sunday all 8ish pound maybe a 5 in there lol pretty decent some of the more fun fishing ive sean this summer all at around 90 feet on the rigger and a couple at 60, great way to end the four days of fun, the off day was at pender and got two nice coho. Unfortunate part somebody busted my trailer light at pedder bay and didnt even leave a sorry note

Limit of 10 coho both Saturday and Sunday by 9:30 am, largest 12 pounds also a 13 pound spring and chum. Released lots of wild but found our hatchery quite easily. 55-70 feet down and wandering in and out from 300 tp 525 feet. Finished each day fishing for springs but no luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like everyone else is saying the fishing was great yesterday Thanks to the hotel ramp crew for installing the fish cleaning table! I would only comment be careful about using the middle cleaning station. There is a big hole right in the middle for you fish to fall through. A pipe from the table to the water would be good as well. Heads and guts end up all over the dock. It sure is nice to have it there though.

Fished yesterday 9:30-11 in 550 feet straight out from the harbour... missed 4 in a row. Picked up some folks and back out... this time about 400 strait out from Otter... great flurry from about 12:30.... kept 5, released 2, missed a couple more..... from the propwash down to 60, all on strait anchovy with a dummy flasher. only lasted about an hour and the wind kicked up pretty good, but that was all we needed. Great to be out

Hye Bugs,

I have two frozen juvenile salmon from two Coho stomachs in my freezer for you with capture location and depths. Give me a call to arrange pick-up. Bye, Elmar

Back