Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Hit 2 springs 10 mins apart on the change off the trap reef this morning. 10 and 12 pounds. Sent back to swim free.

-KK

Hit 2 springs 10 mins apart on the change off the trap reef this morning. 10 and 12 pounds. Sent back to swim free.

-KK

Hey we need pics of a few keeper fish > like the ones on the mainland thread ;)

Dodger

Fished from 6:45 until 2:45 today and had an interesting day. Fished the Trap with the usual anchovy gear for a couple of hours but no dice. Then moved along to Beechy and tried there for another hour but no dice either. Saw three or four Orcas between the shore and the few boats that were out. Did not want to go 0 and 3 for 2013 so tried something different. Dug out an old silver/chrome dodger I have had in my gear for 30 years and put a small glow squirt on it (short leader). Dropped it to 140 feet and within 30 minutes had my first hit of 2013! Unfortunately, I got the fish to the surface about 30 yards back and it threw the hook. Did not see how big it was. Did not think it was a fluke so stuck with dodger and squirt for another four hours. We were opposite East Sooke on our way back when another hit at the same depth. This time we landed a nice 8lb hatch. Nothing to write home about except the odd gear I took it on. First Chinook I ever took on a dodger. (The glow hootchie we put on the flasher on the other side in response to the first fish did nothing, so I think it was the dodger that made the difference today).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats supposed to be a secret, guess not anymore!
Maybe it was....maybe it wasn't.
However I have had so much help and advice and guidance from the good folks on this forum since I started the ocean trolling game three years ago, if I can help someone else out even a teeny tiny bit I am good with that.

Maybe it was....maybe it wasn't.
However I have had so much help and advice and guidance from the good folks on this forum since I started the ocean trolling game three years ago, if I can help someone else out even a teeny tiny bit I am good with that.
Try a p4 spoon 50/50 that's old school it still kills them, and old tonic spoons 4in ,last year in June out fished bait Goodluck boomer

all i used to fish with were the les davis dodgers, '00' with a cut plug herring. but then all of this new fangled tackle started to clutter my tackle boxes. can't say that the old stuff is any better or worse than all of this new stuff. good for your 'retro' day. i started doing the same thing a couple of years ago and have had great fun rediscovering just how we used to do it :)

I think i may have some charlie white special plugs and some planer boards if you want to go old school some more .... or even a peetz rod and reel and put some wire on it with the coat hanger and dont forget the bell on the end of the rod....
Let me know English LOL

I think i may have some charlie white special plugs and some planer boards if you want to go old school some more .... or even a peetz rod and reel and put some wire on it with the coat hanger and dont forget the bell on the end of the rod....
Let me know English LOL
LOL Roy!
I have a Charlie White "The Lure" still in its packet. Don't think I will ever use it as it may have collector value by now.:)

I am using a Peetz reel. Caught the fish in question on it! Never have reel creep with that thing and the tension nut is so coarse a slight turn will free the spool and you can palm the big wooden spool for playing a fish. The simplest things are the best!

Don't think I will go as far as the Peetz rod. Instead I already married the Peetz reel with a 30 year old English carp fishing rod (glass). Seems to work fine so far, although when it comes to rods the more modern materials are probably better although even then I have read some posts on this forum about new rods shattering under loads. Nevertheless I have a more modern set up on the other side of the boat that I got from Island Outfitters, although funny thing is it never seems to catch as much as the "old" gear. (Not that I catch all that much anyway, as you know!!;))

Thx anyway

I have 3 of those Charlie White lures that I have refinished ...(again).

Maybe I'll get something with them this time.......hoping for a world record P-Cod......

001.jpg

These are Charlie White lures....

I think "The Lure" he made tho' was a herring imitation encased in plastic with a hinged middle......is that the one you have Eng/Man?

I also had and used a couple of the jigging lure he produced.....it actually worked pretty good.

Seafever,

Your refurbished CW lures look neat anyway. I hope they look attractive to the fish too!:eek:

Here is a picture of my CW lure. Similar design to yours - just a different colour and never used. Perhaps I should give it a try.....?
CWThe luresmall.jpg

YES i was out yesterday we got into a few kept 3 nice ones all feeders biggest was a 14 lb hatchery they were shallow 55 to 75 ft anchovies.I trolled up to otter for that mid morning flood and if you were to tell me in JUNE on a sat id have the place to all to myself 5 years ago I said "YEAH RIGHT" !!!!.it is really really sad to see!!!!!!DFO has done a great job. hardly any boats. THEY have F%^Ked our fishery...... now I can honestly say "I REMEMBER WHEN IN THE OLD DAYS"
the whole day I saw 6 boats....and a few further west. there is fish out there time to go get em

Good luck Wolf

Werent they calling for 35kt gusts yesterday for the central straight? That probly had a lot to do with it....

We were at the trap yesterday from 7:30 ish to 11:30--6 or 8 boats in the general area--people were picking up feeders although nothing keepable stuck for us.
T2

One look at big wave cams it was nice out there maybe a 1 ft chop ive seen boats go out in way worse if there was 8 boats at trap NONE were at sec, YES DFO has done a good JOB .

MAYBE we should put them in charge if the PINE BEETLE bet you it be gone in no time as well....

My uncle visits from Campbell river the other day. Hes talking about getting his limit of springs every time he's been out over the last while. Im recalling my buddy releasing a beauti 25 lber near Beechy head a few days before on our 1st trip of the year targeting salmon. So I was wondering why we get bullied here in Victoria/ Sooke, where as its open season for the rest of the island. They have rules, but we get the shaft. Last time I checked, The rest of the Island is no more or less Canadian or British Columbian then myself. I can attest that I pay my fair share of taxes, and alot more for mortgage and living expenses. Maybe one of these years they will rotate some restrictions to other areas. Wouldn't that be nice if the DFO decided one year to limit other areas and let us have some fun. Ahem, hint hint... SVIAC

Back