Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Couple more today 20 and 15 kept the 15 hatch. Released the 20 wild.

85 ft nastyboy original coyote was the ticket today.

Cheers

I've had them jump when the hook is in or around the eye. Happens quite often when fishing plugs. Just the plug itself on the outside of the mouth slapping the fish around the eye does it.

Anybody been fishing Beechy head and east lately? Wondering if it's worth launching out of Pedder and fishing Race to Beechy. Or is all the action west of beechy?

Cheers

There are fish all over. Personally I usually get to at least cheanuh but your plan could work out great. I think the fishing is a lot better then gets reported anyone asking how the fishing is needs to get out there and see what's going on out of 50 boats maybe 1 will report here.

Good luck when you go no matter where you launch from you'll have a shot at (releasing) a beauty.

So, I haven't been out in a month and a bit, boat maintenance and a new top.
Anyways, winds for Saturday look really good so I'm gonna go give it a try. I can't decide between Constance or fishing out of cheanuh.
Recommendations?

There are fish all over. Personally I usually get to at least cheanuh but your plan could work out great. I think the fishing is a lot better then gets reported anyone asking how the fishing is needs to get out there and see what's going on out of 50 boats maybe 1 will report here.

Good luck when you go no matter where you launch from you'll have a shot at (releasing) a beauty.

Yeah I hear ya. But I have to make the trip from the fraser valley so it's nice to get a few reports from the locals before shelling out all that time and money.

il be fishing this weekend and will give my reports as usual, looking back at last years forum it seemed like the first week of June started to produce good results.

Out for the first fish of the Season, released two, one 8Lbs. one about 15, close to the Lighthouse. both fish by 6.30 on Spoons, didnt get a touch on Bait. Good Day Driller

View attachment 7422Trailer Park to Sheringham 8-2. No Fish, didn't see any bait...not one bait ball! Most boats anchored up, but didn't see anyone hook into anything; Hali or Salmon...
Another week or two?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished for hali from 10 - 1pm just past otter point, had 1 nice one on and it spit the hook on one of its runs, no other axtion to report, fished sheringham for a couple hours for salmon, no bites, nothing marked,

What a beautiful day on the water, no wind or waves and blue skies, hopefully the fish start rolling in soon

Sudsy

Halibut fishing yesterday. Tried a new spot and a couple of hours later fell asleep in the lawn chair and the wife calls out that we got one. Scared the living hell right out of me. I jumped up thought I was going to work at first!! To funny although not at first. Cripes you'd thought the boat was on fire. lol. I reeled it in and passed the rod off to her and got the spear.I had it all lined up for the thrust and the bloody thing turned at that very last instant and wouldn't you know it glanced off the side of it. It didn't particularly like being stabbed at and went straight back to the bottom like it was on fire. Now my sweetheart isn't the biggest person in the world but she's hanging on like a trooper and she's quite excited saying take the rod, take the rod, I can't hold on. I grab the rod but not thinking set the drag a little to tight and pulled the hook. Bloody shame cause it was close to forty lbs. I think. Would have been awesome to get it on board but hey stuff happens. Funny none the less. Stayed for a few more hours hoping to snag another but no go. Pulled the pick and moved to another spot. Within an hour caught another pretty much the same scenario as the other. Max relax and fell asleep in the chair again when it hit. I'm going to have to have a chat with the wife on a different way to wake a guy up without scaring the living bejebus out of him. No trophy this time but I did manage to get that one into the boat. Disappointed to miss the big one but a hell of a nice day with my wife. Best fishing partner ever. I think all the tips I got from the people here are starting to pay off. Best one that seems to work though is falling asleep.

Last edited by a moderator:
this halibut season i converted to only circle hooks. i hooked 8 halibut and lost not a single one. the circle hooks were fully engaged and they were all lip hooked. the trick is to leave your rod in the holder and wait for the pull down, give the reel a crank and see if the fish is there, then go to work. my hooks of choice are owner 10/0 5178s. the wire is just the right size and they are razor sharp right out of the package. give'um a try and get those J and octupus hooks out of your kit bag.

this halibut season i converted to only circle hooks. i hooked 8 halibut and lost not a single one. the circle hooks were fully engaged and they were all lip hooked. the trick is to leave your rod in the holder and wait for the pull down, give the reel a crank and see if the fish is there, then go to work. my hooks of choice are owner 10/0 5178s. the wire is just the right size and they are razor sharp right out of the package. give'um a try and get those J and octupus hooks out of your kit bag.

100% agreed on the circle hooks. I use the hali rigs from wise buys. He rigs em up with downrigger line 2 circle hooks, hooch's. They are 50X as strong as you would ever need. And yes, you gotta fight that temptation to give it a yank. Let the fish eat and don't touch the rod till its bent over.

Back