Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

First trip of the year in my boat.

Got out around 9:30/10 ish and decided to burn up gas and went west. Not many boats out but most of the ones we saw were into some nice fish. Lots of fish and big arches on the sounder and we managed to get into some good fish. Kept and weighed in a 19 and a 20 at the marina and great to see some hatchery jobs coming in at 20lbs.

All fish caught between 44 and 51 feet down and all on hootchies. Not quite organized yet for chovies. Lots of surface bait balls without birds feeding on them and only saw one seal. Managed to lose a flasher and hootchie to one of the commercial crab float lines a little east of Point no Point. Our fault for getting too close to it. Once past Sheringham they are all over the place so don’t get close to them.

A great first day for the season and there should be lots of fish around for the derby on the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear that Rockfish was into some action today in Sooke, Not so much for us. Launched out of Esquimalt at 5:30 this morning, as it was glassy flat we decided to make the 1/2 hour run to P.P . We trolled from the point to Secretary and back a few times with only two small throwback Springs to show for it. After the smoking hot fishing that I just had up in Ukee it was a bit disappointing, but that's why its called fishing and not catching. Thanks for the last report I will trailer to Sooke next time and head out a bit farther.

Cheers
Rich

I'm headed up to bamfield this weekend and I am curious as to where you were having all your luck out of Ukee? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Can someone clarify something for me? A couple guys at work now have told me that the slot size/limit is changing this weekend. I cant find any info on DFO's site, mainly because im having a hard time finding the info.

Can someone clarify something for me? A couple guys at work now have told me that the slot size/limit is changing this weekend. I cant find any info on DFO's site, mainly because im having a hard time finding the info.

Yeah the slot gets a bit wider. Now the limit is 85cm instead of 67cm for wild.

June 15 - July 19, 2013: 2 chinook per day, wild or hatchery marked less than 85 cm, or hatchery marked greater than 85 cm in length.

Just a reminder that wild (unmarked) Spring measuring 85cm or less can be kept effective tomorrow June 15
85cm = 34" = approx 15lbs

Effective 00:01 hours June 15, 2013 until 23:59 hours July 19, 2013 in Subareas
19-1 to 19-4 and Subarea 20-5 (those waters near Victoria between Cadboro Point
to Sheringham Point), the daily limit is two (2) chinook salmon per day which
may be wild or hatchery marked less than 85 cm or hatchery marked greater than
85 cm in length.

Couple teener hatchery chinooks for us today on buddies boat at sheringham. Got both pretty early (7:40 and 8:00). Both on bait, around 40 ft on the rigger. Missed two more later on. Pretty nice day out on the water, t-shirt weather.

Gotta love those Yankee chinooks :)

Ya not so much actually, both came off the pro's rod..... Even after I switched over to bait failed to hook up the later two :(

Oh well, that's why its called "fishing" not "catching"....... Didn't think I farmed 'em just didn't get a hook set on those slippery bastards. No complaints though, great day to be out, the only place it was windy was sooke basin. Was an awesome day...... Like most days spent fishing with good weather and a good partner....... Which reminds me, when we taking the boys out again rocky?

Fished Friday, started at Otter 6-8am, nothing. Moved to Muir. Landed and released 6 undersized hatchery chinook. Had two nice hits that did not stick. Lots of bait marked at 60-100 ft. Anchoive and green glow spoon both working. Fish caught at 70-80 ft.

Saw lots of boats heading to Sherringham. Any further reports?

Fished Friday, started at Otter 6-8am, nothing. Moved to Muir. Landed and released 6 undersized hatchery chinook. Had two nice hits that did not stick. Lots of bait marked at 60-100 ft. Anchoive and green glow spoon both working. Fish caught at 70-80 ft.

Saw lots of boats heading to Sherringham. Any further reports?

fished sherringhamm this morning hit and caught a wild 22.2lb chinook at about 6:45 then my buddy landed a 18.2 lb chinook at about 7:30am,,only a few more hits till noon then headed to fish beechy head for an hour then off to pedder bay to weight our fish in,,a pretty rough ride on the way back,,but flat calm on the way there,,good luck to all in the derby's this weekend

Well had another awesome day. Anchored up for halibut and tried a little something different this time and hooked our first one 15 minutes later. Reset the gear and sat back and relaxed for awhile and hooked our second one about 45 minutes after that. We limited out in an hour not too bad at all. Pulled anchor and tried for some salmon but no luck there but we did see some nice ones caught off Sooke. Had a great day. Taking some down to the neighbour's tonight and having it on a bbq and having a few beers around the fire pit. Can't ask for much better than that.

I fished hard today. Beechy mainly. On the water at 6am, off at 3. One hit, I don't know how that's all I got. I watched about 15 brought to boats, and most were good size.
I tried everything, messed with leader lengths, I just couldn't get them to bite today.

On the water a 5:15 am - 2:30 fished otter pt to sherringham pt. 1-2 on the springs kept a 8lb and lost a undersized by the boat. Lots of small coho out there, got into a group of them for awhile. Did one last pass at otter pt for a second spring to weigh in and my buddy ended up releasing a 10lb wild coho!!! Round two tomorrow.

Did not fish in the Derby but instead took out two old friends from Australia whom I had not seen for 37 years!! Is that a record?
Anyway fished 10-2 pm and did not start well. Hooked up on something at 125 feet opposite tin shack when sounder showed 139 feet. Lost dodger and lure.
Continued down and in the end got two small feeders (8lb and 5lb) on chovies at 135 feet on the rigger in 200 feet of water off Otter.
Water was way lumpier and rougher than indicated by Big Wave Dave - don't understand why as wind seemed very low and mostly from East.

Last edited by a moderator:
Englishman, I wondered the same thing about the chop/waves? Last night there was a lot of wind through the GS and we were on an ebb...so were those SE waves a result of that? Great reconneting with old friends, I am sure they enjoyed the trip and glad to hear you put them on some fish.

Thought I'd ask all you "Sooke" fisherman. This question is probably ridiculous but I'm new to the area. I am wondering where exactly the "Trap Shack" is from the water. I have heard guys talk about it but I don't know where exactly it is. I tried a google search and there is no clear response. Is it just west of Beecher? Thanks in advance

Back