Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Ill comment on that I don't want ANY restrictions put on other areas AS i know first hand how it hurts. What PO,s me the most is the lack of support that comes from other areas AS some don't care and even joke about it , but when the shoe drops more people will be PO that's why SVIAC is such a good cause they want ALL areas and USER groups unaffected who cares whats in a name THEY had to start somewhere and trust me the vision is clear. its all about FISH.
And you cant and will not convince me those fish "dont" travel down the inside the numbers tell a different story and believe it or not the inside took more fraser bound fish then did the JDF so be prepared it will be in your backyard soon too. but ill support you ... now get fishing back to reports

Good luck Wolf

Ill comment on that I don't want ANY restrictions put on other areas AS i know first hand how it hurts. What PO,s me the most is the lack of support that comes from other areas AS some don't care and even joke about it , but when the shoe drops more people will be PO that's why SVIAC is such a good cause they want ALL areas and USER groups unaffected who cares whats in a name THEY had to start somewhere and trust me the vision is clear. its all about FISH.
And you cant and will not convince me those fish "dont" travel down the inside the numbers tell a different story and believe it or not the inside took more fraser bound fish then did the JDF so be prepared it will be in your backyard soon too. but ill support you ... now get fishing back to reports

Good luck Wolf

For the record, aside from my rant it was a fishing post. The beechy head 25 lber we had to let go. We also released a smaller one that was a couple cm over legal. Also released a smaller snapper/ yellow eye closer to aldridge pt. I agree with your statement 100% Wolf. The last thing I want to do is start pointing fingers at others and vice versa. We are all on the same team. But if the DFO feels they must restrict catch, it seems very unfair that we are the only ones who get hit. Let someone else have a turn.

YES i totally wasn't pointing the finger at ya... was making a statement on how I personally feel ..ill be out tomorrow but from what ive heard sooke is heating up heard of a few hitting the 30 lb mark coming in. and multiple people (what little there are out) all coming in with fish.
WE are almost half way into JUNE..... so people get out there and get some salmon and have fun!!!! don't wait for the derby day got to get out get the kinks and bugs worked out so get out and prefish !!!!!

Good luck wolf

I'm sure a lot of anglers feel the same as myself. Why head to Sooke for a shot at releasing a wild spring and maybe bumping into a hatchery fish or two when you can just fish your local waters (victoria for me) and have a better chance at landing keeper fish.

Lot more effort to trailer to Sooke when esq anglers is 5 minutes away. It used to be worth that extra effort but now? Not really. See you in August...

You could not tell that this fish is longer than 67 cm when it was in the water beside your boat? You might as well have kept. What do you think the chances of survival for a fish netted, flopping on the floor for a photo op etc is? Not that I think the restrictions make any difference with conservation but if you are to release a fish then please think!!!

Sigh... Another new poster scared away from reporting by the reports police.

Most of us appreciate the report (and the pic) sparky. Beauty! What calm sea said isn't incorrect but he could sure find a better way of saying it.

It's your fish if you want a picture get a picture if you want a measurement get a measurement. I'm sure the fish swam away strong and will be fine until its caught near the Fraser by a Vancouver angler who can keep it. Hopefully they send you a thank you card.

Sigh... Another new poster scared away from reporting by the reports police.

Most of us appreciate the report (and the pic) sparky. Beauty! What calm sea said isn't incorrect but he could sure find a better way of saying it.

It's your fish if you want a picture get a picture if you want a measurement get a measurement. I'm sure the fish swam away strong and will be fine until its caught near the Fraser by a Vancouver angler who can keep it. Hopefully they send you a thank you card.

I see he deleted his post, too bad. Nice fish Sparky; good scale retention and lifting it back in with that rubber mat it was lying on should not have been too hard on it. Please keep posting. It should have sufficient energy when it hits the Fraser to fatally impale itself into a gill net.

It would be interesting if we could all be issued tags so we could tag the big Chinook we release off Victoria and Sooke, document the catch for DFO and learn how many actually make it onto the spawning gravel or are otherwise intercepted. Unfortunately that could be the kind of research that would have political consequences and would cost a few dollars, so I can’t imagine it happening.

Annual maintenance and repairs almost completed and hoping to put the boat in tomorrow for the summer.

You could not tell that this fish is longer than 67 cm when it was in the water beside your boat? You might as well have kept. What do you think the chances of survival for a fish netted, flopping on the floor for a photo op etc is? Not that I think the restrictions make any difference with conservation but if you are to release a fish then please think!!!

It's ironic that on the General Topic forum there is a thread called Lurkers or Freeloaders. With the way that Calmsea jumped all over the poster it's no wonder that fewer people are posting on this site. If you actually felt the need to criticize the guy for his photo etc wtf didn't you just pm him?

Rather than continuing to keep this thread way off topic here is a SOOKE FiSHING report....

Out today from 600-1200, started trolling from the bluffs to otter, had one strike in the first 10 mins then nothing until muir where i released a beautiful chinook maybe 15lbs? Decided to continue trolling to sheringham and it payed off with a nice 12lb hatchery, missed 2 others throughout the day, great day crabbing in sooke basin, managed to get mine and my father inlaws limits, big feast for dinner.

Sudsy

It's ironic that on the General Topic forum there is a thread called Lurkers or Freeloaders. With the way that Calmsea jumped all over the poster it's no wonder that fewer people are posting on this site. If you actually felt the need to criticize the guy for his photo etc wtf didn't you just pm him?

Don't PM him. Thats just a joke. Ive recieved those PM's and I think people should just STFU and keep to themselves. That would make this place more enjoyable.

If you think im not catching fish out there your wrong. Im just not posting pics or reports much anymore in peak season in the summer. To many jelous people. Not my kind of fun going thru your inbox and reading how to release a fish. Those catch and release nets aint cheap either.

-KK

I didn't see the photos but after 45years fishing locally I have seen many many fish with heavy scale damage as a result of net fishery and fish with massive scars from seal and sea lion attacks but it didn't seem to affect their ability to fight on the end of my line. I will agree with you that measuring fish is detrimental to conservation

Ok been awhile since I gave an actual fishing report. So here we go. The fish are in boys and unlike the previous 2 years there are some good numbers of bigger fish around. last year it was tough to find a fish over 30 pounds. Not this summer so far. Today we finished up at Otter Point for the last hour and a half of our morning trip as I was getting tired of pulling weeds off the lines up at the light. At about 10:45 we hit what I knew was a big fish by the long powerful strokes of the downrigger boom before the line released. A great battler ensued with a very long run of line off the reel. After 15 minutes we had a beautiful super chrome spring that was an easy 35 pounds along side the boat. I snapped a few shots of the fish in the water. Also got the while thing on the Go Pro. The hooks were in the corner of the mouth. He layed there still and I popped the hooks with pliers, never had to lay a finger on him. As soon as the hooks were out he rolled upright and slowly swam out of sight. My customer was informed ahead of time that we would likely catch fish that would have to be let go. He was fine with it and enjoyed the experience. Here are a couple of the fish and one from the day before.

Great fish and pictures Rollie. Have been hearing the same thing, lots of big Chinook this year, some in the 40’s and it would appear certainly more than we have seen for quite a few years. It will be ironic if this turns out to be a banner mid summer year for Large Chinook.

Very nice Rollie! We had a good morning today. Started at Secretary and hooked quickly a nice spring - maybe just over 20#. Unhooked with pliers beside the boat. Had another tug and finally caught and release our first Coho of the year. Maybe around 4# but it was aCoho. Then ran all the way to Sheringham and while it was quiet for maybe 2 hours we did manage a 17# spring just before we took off. Nice day. Can't wait for the Banana Derby now.

Good day on the water, was out from 0600 til 12, fished from the bluffs to sheringham, all action was around muir on the purple chrome teaser head, couple missed strikes them released a mid twenties fish, beautiful color and very healthy looking, put up a huge fight for my father in law visiting from newfoundland, put a big grin on his face.

Well it sounds as if the Fishing is picking up and it should be a good weekend for a Derby, Good luck to all involved and I hope everyone has a great time and raise lots o Money for the Cause. Im not fishing but my Boat is :( Good Luck Driller

Back