Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Got out today for our first ever Christmas break fishing trip (and hope to make it an annual tradition) and first attempt for winter salmon. Unfortunately, the fish were not cooperative today, had several pops and a few shakers, but no keepers. Skunked again. But appreciate the depth information above, perhaps will try again this weekend, the weather looks promising.

Got out yesterday and fished Beecher Bay. Didn't get any salmon but did manage to hook a small ling and rock fish. The eagle fying above us was pretty interested. Though he was going to get lunch I guess but they both made it safely back to the bottom. There was a dozen or so boats around but didn't hear of anyone catching anything at all. Radio was kind of quiet which beats the endless chatter during the summer. Other than that it was a great day. Hopefully heading out again tomorrow to give it another try. Might try Sooke this time.

Will head out later today if the wind drops a bit - NNE 16 at the Race now, would be fishable but a little cold. There are a few fish around in both Beecher Bay and Whirl Bay, but not a lot. You have to be there when the short bites happen or you may not get much.

...Rob

Wind wasnt too bad today, but it was a cold wind!! Lost one off the trailer park in 110 ish ft with uv flasher and purple squirt.

Happy New Year to everyone. For the first time in about 4 or 5 years we actually made it out winter spring fishing. Fished last Saturday and managed to get a 10, 9 and 8 lbs in the boat and let one shacker go. Caught all the fish right in front of the flag pole at Cheannuh. 140 feet on the riggers in 130 feet of water. Couldn't find my modified flasher to use so I put out a cop car flasher with a white hootchie. Heck, I think I had a better day then some summer trips. Flat calm all day and didn't rain hard till we were already back and was washing down the boat. I can see another trip soon as long as it doesnt freeze out. Steve.

Finally got out today with the nice sunshine which compensated for the cold wind. Only 1 just legal at Whirl Bay, only bite all day, nothing off Bedfords or in Becher Bay. Also got around to completing the survey DFO sent out for fishing in December. They wanted to know how many days in December I fished. DFO are morons for conducting this survey for the month of December. It was rainy, cold, stormy and generally crap weather this time of year. I would have gone fishing if the weather allowed for it. Why didn't they send this survey for a more reasonable time like June to October, when was probably out 25-30 times. Of course what should I expect from DFO except total incompetence. Anyone else get this survey by email?

They don't have any creel survey staff working the winter months so i guess this is the cheapest way for them to get a representation of how many boat trips are happening.

They were actually doing this all year long. It was my turn I think in May or June and several buddies were asked at other times of the year. Not sure it that is to replace creel surveys from now on...

Happy New Year guys!

Anyone out today in the sun? I'll be out doing the yakattack from Cheanuh tomorrow--say hello if you go by.
T2

No luck in front of the flagpole today--great to be out for the first trip of 2013, tho.
T2

First trip out for 2013. Beauty day for January. Flat calm with some bright sun on our side of the JDF while strange black clouds almost obscured the Wa. coast all day.
However, I now know why there has been so little reported for the New Year on this thread. At 68 feet shakers! At 100 feet, shakers! At 140 feet shakers!. The Bluffs, shakers! Trailer Park, shakers!! Ditto Harbour Mouth. The fishing might be good in three years, but this winter has been a bust with only a couple of 4lb fish to show in four trips. (Nothing like last year with 10 or 12lb fish around at this time of year which hit 14 or 15lb by April!)

Ah well, some Coho left in the freezer so salmon dinners still possible……LOL:)

First trip out for 2013. Beauty day for January. Flat calm with some bright sun on our side of the JDF while strange black clouds almost obscured the Wa. coast all day.
However, I now know why there has been so little reported for the New Year on this thread. At 68 feet shakers! At 100 feet, shakers! At 140 feet shakers!. The Bluffs, shakers! Trailer Park, shakers!! Ditto Harbour Mouth. The fishing might be good in three years, but this winter has been a bust with only a couple of 4lb fish to show in four trips. (Nothing like last year with 10 or 12lb fish around at this time of year which hit 14 or 15lb by April!)

I saw a couple of boats off the mouth of Sooke Harbour today. Did you get hailed on? It was nasty for awhile up on the bluffs were I was working today. It looked nice out there today.

I saw a couple of boats off the mouth of Sooke Harbour today. Did you get hailed on? It was nasty for awhile up on the bluffs were I was working today. It looked nice out there today.

Yep, two other boats out there with us.

No hail for us though. One light shower about 1:15pm shortly before we came in. Other than that real nice out there with sun from about 11:00am.

(Nothing like last year with 10 or 12lb fish around at this time of year which hit 14 or 15lb by April!)

We could pick up where we left off last year ;)

call me on my...DonAdams.jpg

Slabber you have a shoe phone??

Do you have Maxwells number? I want one.. Do you think he has a spare or two?

Out yesterday for 3 hours beginning at just after noon. Got a bite within 2 minutes of going out - 12 lb 12 oz fish, thought it might be a good afternoon but no more bites! The fish was caught on bottom in 125 ft. of water near Lamb Is. using a UV hoochie. As per the last few trips there is very little bait around and I am not marking any fish on the sounder, Whirl Bay is much the same, however I am scratching up a few decent fish in both areas.

...Rob

Out yesterday for 4hrs,crack of noon start(Beecher Bay)... hit 7 Springs,,kept 2; 8/10lbs, glow hootchy/flasher trolled on bottom

Back