Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

rs, The hole is drilled in the edge of the flasher near the tail bend and causes a bubble disturbance in the water, "they" say it helps to attract the fish. I don't know if it will work....lol. It was one of those winter ideas that I found to waste some time, it beats sharpening hooks.... Steve.

You were out yesterday? Today's paper showed huge waves crashing along Dallas Road, ferry sailings cancelled! Where were you?

Read the post he was in sooke! "Protection from the Dirrection" If you fish regularly and keep track you can put together a spot to fish on almost any wind around here!

Headed out to give it a go! Will report later!

-KK

Read the post he was in sooke! "Protection from the Dirrection" If you fish regularly and keep track you can put together a spot to fish on almost any wind around here!

-KK

Gosh what can a poor lad do with sporatic work and crappy weather, tough it out and go fishing :)

-KK

KK, not sure if you were implying that I am somewhat dimwitted by saying "Read the post he was in sooke". I did see the reference to Sooke, but, to me, that refers to miles of coastline. I'm really only familiar with the area from Pedder down to Secretary. 300 ft. implies, to me, at least, that FISH was offshore a little bit. Perhaps there are 300 ft depths in well protected areas, I don't know for sure. Regardless, I was genuinely curious as to where he was during that storm, and, I was hoping for a more specific answer as to his location. In future, knowing that somewhat condescending Sooke experts are about, I will be more careful with my questions. Waiting for your fishing report with baited (sic) breath.

It wasn't really windy in Sooke(wednesday)... I drove into work not knowing it was windy till I hit the gorge

KK, not sure if you were implying that I am somewhat dimwitted by saying "Read the post he was in sooke". I did see the reference to Sooke, but, to me, that refers to miles of coastline. I'm really only familiar with the area from Pedder down to Secretary. 300 ft. implies, to me, at least, that FISH was offshore a little bit. Perhaps there are 300 ft depths in well protected areas, I don't know for sure. Regardless, I was genuinely curious as to where he was during that storm, and, I was hoping for a more specific answer as to his location. In future, knowing that somewhat condescending Sooke experts are about, I will be more careful with my questions. Waiting for your fishing report with baited (sic) breath.

Did not want it to be taken that way. If you use Bigwavedave. ca you can get up to date wind reports. Gordons beach and Cook St. both have cams you can see live. Helps alot when you can see what direction its blowing and that its rough at Cook and Calm at Gordons that is when fishing the harbour would be nice.

On a side note. fished for 3 hours yesterday with one pin popper on the fly rod. Pinned light could have been anything bigger then a shaker. Just dieing to get my first winter on the fly rod off the rigger with no flasher. Should be a hoot me thinks.

KK

On a side note. fished for 3 hours yesterday with one pin popper on the fly rod. Pinned light could have been anything bigger then a shaker. Just dieing to get my first winter on the fly rod off the rigger with no flasher. Should be a hoot me thinks.

KK

Thinking about trying the fly rod for winters as well. Only tried a fly rod on the rigger once before. Never really got the whole thing dialed. Looking for a few pointers KK. What type of rod holder do you use? Is it a standard fly rod or a switch or spey rod? Dumby flasher? Regular release clip or the mini trout clip? How do you get it off the clip if you get a small fish on (small enough so it doesn't release from clip)?

Thanks man!

The Scotty power lock rod holder works great when using fly rods. I use a least a 7 to 9 wt fly rod. You can use dummy flasher, or one of those small 4-6 inch flashers. I prefer a dummy flasher myself. I like about 2-300ft of mainline, in case you lose some line you can still fish. Lots of fun to catch feisty winters on a fly rod! If you use the mini clip it can be easier to get it off. Remember if you can't trip the line off the clip just bring it up with the cannonball - caught many fish this way. Good luck!

What ive been doing is stacking my main rod with flasher and hootchie and then running a spoon on 10 ft up and a few feet further behind the ball on the fly rod.with the hootchie rig below working below. I use a normal scotty release clip and set it on light mode. Then clip just past the black line. I spooled my 9wt reel with 400ft of 20 pound sufix and 150 ft of braid backing. I use a normal scotty open face holder and have a fighting butt on the fly rods I use.

-KK

If I cant trip it I turn the rigger on. But im new to this aswell only done it 3 times now and nothing over 4 pounds to the boat.

-KK

When I get a chance to get back out again I wanted to try pulling around a bucktail with a spinner and use a dummy flasher. I caught springs on Coho-killers this year and think they would work great for winters without flashers.

Was fishing right out in front of Sooke Bay ....to the Bluffs and Back to Secretary Island...Some swell but calm as could be.

tumblr_ld536cILbL1qfntcio1_500.jpg

And then..................

Fished the Sooke bluffs to Trailer park for 2 hours 120 to 150 ft using the usual hootchies nothing but shakers. Kept one that was big enough for dinner. Got skunked in my usual hot spot for crab no even a female, Esg lagoon at 70 ft. Great day to be out though calm seas and sunshine.

Fished the Bluffs to Otter point yesterday, got two keepers and hooked lots of shakers. Also hooked a Halibut near Otter Point, damn shame to let that go. Crabbing was quite disappointing for us in the Basin, but the unexpected sunshine and flat seas were awesome!

Merry X-Mass To all!

Fished Beecher for 3.5 hours and lost one low teens and Landed one Low teens! Made for a fresh X-mas gift for Mom :)

-KK

Out yesterday for 5 hours - 10:30 to 3:30 pm. Started at Whirl Bay and got a 8.5 lb in the first 5 minutes then only 3 shakers for the next 3 hours. Trolled back to Beecher Bay against the current then hit two springs in the bay around 2:30 to 3:00 pm. Landed one 10 lb. and lost the other which was a similar size, maybe bigger. Didn't see much else caught but saw a Skagit Orca boat land one in Whirl Bay and when we talked to them later they said that they had 2 fish.

...Rob

Telstar26: The fish in Whirl Bay was 180 on the rigger (150 ft of water). The two fish in Beecher Bay were at 150 ft and 137 ft on the rigger, both in ~130 ft of water.

...Rob

Back