Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Way to gloat steve..:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to hear bad repots here too! that will make me feel better :p :(

Aldridge to beechy and around 3-7 not a sniff saw a few on the cleaning tables on the way in and one caught out there. Stayed up till 2am tying a milllion different tackle selections, didnt work. sigh

A., There is a huge learning curve with summer chinook off Sooke so don't feel too bad. KK is an incredibly knowledgeable expert, and an exceptional angler even for this forum so do not measure yourself against him. I myself have not had more than two strikes in a single day this year yet and nothing over 10lbs with several blanks during May. Last summer I caught zero chinook from my boat, just lots of coho. And I did post all those failures!! LOL;)
Keep reading this forum, keep trying different things, go out fishing with other folks if you can and eventually it will come. (Even I caught three summer chinook off Sooke in 2011 so it is possible!! :cool:)

Brian messaged me back and said it was a Tyee with those measurments. But im thinking more like high 20's The measuring was a first for me. Anytips on getting the girth? I just threw the paper tape around it and pinched it and slid it off?

-KK

11 lbs id say, LOL
if you can get your little hand around the wrist of the tail its not a 30 lber.
just saying!!!

Nice fish i predict with the better currents starting friday we will see better fish....

Wolf

CBY sure it wasnt 11 lbs????

Fishing was definatlly slower today and currents were a tad weird compared to last couple of days??????? COHO everywhere at tide change lost count as to how many etc threw back a couple of 8 to 10 lb springs. didnt see much spring action....

Good luck wolf

Hey Wolfy, Nice try, lol 11 must be your favorite #. Fish measured 33.5 inches x 22 inches = 24.59lbs. Derby winner if there was one.

Attachments

• IMG_20130622_161714.jpg
    IMG_20130622_161714.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 294
omg what a kick in the junk!

I was running at least one green spoon at all times. on a 46" leader(?good) I thought that may have been my issue. but running either 40 or 65' down. running along the 150 or 250 contour line but sticking mostly to the aldridge side of the head. moved out once that werid water thats always there dissapered. but by then I had givin up and threw down a mint tulip hootchie and white uv splatter. Not sure how accurate the nav app is but was running about 1.9 for speed. Going to put the new eltie 5 in this week so will know for sure. Im guessing I wasnt out deep enough. and/or leader length. ?thoughts

Depth and speed look good to me. Nothing wrong with your choice of lures either. If nothing happens on the shallow maybe try deeper and don't be afraid to go three digits until you find them. There was tons of bait just east of the Head on the weekend so your location was right as well. Maybe time your fishing time better according to the tides or get up real early.....

Brian messaged me back and said it was a Tyee with those measurments. But im thinking more like high 20's The measuring was a first for me. Anytips on getting the girth? I just threw the paper tape around it and pinched it and slid it off?

-KK

If you care less what a fish weighs, even for your own logs , I find the taping of fish a great way to get consistent measurements from fish to fish rather than using several different lousy spring scales ( on the dock , on the boat , while on buddy's boat ...etc etc ) The tough part is what method to use ......just for fun I tried KK's fish using all the methods in this website and the girth x girth x length /800

http://www.wherewisemenfish.com/fish-weight-calculator

Heres the results of KK's fish just for fun :

Ally McGowan method : .........42.3 lbs
NASCO ........................21.2 lbs
Salmonid Counsil: ...............20.9 lbs
Mean estimate : .................28.2 lbs
Using inches: girth x girth x length/800 ...........34.9 lbs

The aspect that really adds the weight is the girth - KK's fish with a 27.2 inch girth is VERY girthy fat fish proportionately for 37.8 inches long ( 96cmx69cm as KK reported) . For example I just landed a more 'streamline' chinook of 35" with a girth of only 19.25 inches. I have found that you have to very accurately tape your fish for the girth x girth x length / 800 equation to be good but if you do, it is very close to true weight. I have compared with lead weights and its is amazingly accurate for most fish.

Hey Wolfy, Nice try, lol 11 must be your favorite #. Fish measured 33.5 inches x 22 inches = 24.59lbs. Derby winner if there was one.

For CBY's fish, as another example using girth Xgirth x length /800, it comes out at 20.26 lbs (rather than the 24.59 lbs from another method)

A., There is a huge learning curve with summer chinook off Sooke so don't feel too bad. KK is an incredibly knowledgeable expert, and an exceptional angler even for this forum so do not measure yourself against him. I myself have not had more than two strikes in a single day this year yet and nothing over 10lbs with several blanks during May. Last summer I caught zero chinook from my boat, just lots of coho. And I did post all those failures!! LOL;)
Keep reading this forum, keep trying different things, go out fishing with other folks if you can and eventually it will come. (Even I caught three summer chinook off Sooke in 2011 so it is possible!! :cool:)

I have a feeling we are going to be getting one delightful report from a happy fisherman today....eh English?! Let's hear it!

Hit otter for a few hours before work for a solo fish today. Lots of bait, even on the surface. Huge pod of porpoises out in deeper water was pretty cool. Lost two at the boat and was getting pretty disappointed then picked up a beauty oversize wild that was cleanly released and kept a nice mid teener hatch for BBQ. Nice morning and calm seas.......although getting my boat out of the water at Sooke with that low tide was pretty interesting. Anchovy 40'-60' for me with flasher, strangely enough the dummy flasher side didn't get a single hit....oh well!

I have a feeling we are going to be getting one delightful report from a happy fisherman today....eh English?! Let's hear it!
The curse got broken or did roland put his black box on finally...
Hi guys,
Yes, here is the amazing (for me! ) story.

Fished on my boat with Dave S. from 6:45am till 2:00pm today and had the most astonishing (for me!) and incredible day. Flat calm so chose to run all the way to Sheringham and west.

In first hour Dave got a 12lb hatch and I got an 8lb wild at 50 feet in 120 feet of water. Anchovies with Betsy flashers. We also hit one wild coho which was released by the boat.
Then nothing for over three hours while we manoeuvred around in the strong ebb.

Then Dave’s rod suddenly went off out of nowhere and he played a beauty 23lb fish, which did a couple of jumps, to the boat which I netted at second attempt. Anchovy at 57 feet in 90 feet of water. This was the largest chinook ever to my boat at that time but alas still no big summer chinook for me!! :(

Nothing more for a another two hours and we were about to call it a day as we followed the 90 foot contour, when I got weed off my anchovy for the umpteenth time and lowered to 62 feet. Down for 10 minutes and I had a pin popper. After a pulsing head shaking fight on my old Peetz plus 40 year old English carp rod, Dave expertly netted a fantastic 25lb chinook. :)

FINALLY ! My first decent summer chinook for two years and my largest fish ever. What a day….what…. a …..day……..

P.S. High Five did not have black box on but Dave checked my voltage again running the voltmeter right back to the negative on the battery terminal (I usually ground only to the engine mount). According to that measurement I am 0.6V natural so I seem OK. Certainly was today!!

Attachments

• june2013.jpg
    june2013.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 484
STOP the presses, STOP the presses, Englishman caught a summer spring. I knew you could with all the studying and practicing you have done. But now you will be more of a monster and more addicted to the West Coast fishing. 25lb salmon will no longer cut it, now you will need a 30 then a 40,50. Good luck on your new addiction, and congratulations. Nice fish

damn engllish looks like you have a pimp butt boat! congrats on the fish! thats it! im going west and learning how to run bait!!

Hi guys,
Yes, here is the amazing (for me! ) story.

Fished on my boat with Dave S. from 6:45am till 2:00pm today and had the most astonishing (for me!) and incredible day. Flat calm so chose to run all the way to Sheringham and west.

In first hour Dave got a 12lb hatch and I got an 8lb wild at 50 feet in 120 feet of water. Anchovies with Betsy flashers. We also hit one wild coho which was released by the boat.
Then nothing for over three hours while we manoeuvred around in the strong ebb.

Then Dave’s rod suddenly went off out of nowhere and he played a beauty 23lb fish, which did a couple of jumps, to the boat which I netted at second attempt. Anchovy at 57 feet in 90 feet of water. This was the largest chinook ever to my boat at that time but alas still no big summer chinook for me!! :(

Nothing more for a another two hours and we were about to call it a day as we followed the 90 foot contour, when I got weed off my anchovy for the umpteenth time and lowered to 62 feet. Down for 10 minutes and I had a pin popper. After a pulsing head shaking fight on my old Peetz plus 40 year old English carp rod, Dave expertly netted a fantastic 25lb chinook. :)

FINALLY ! My first decent summer chinook for two years and my largest fish ever. What a day….what…. a …..day……..

P.S. High Five did not have black box on but Dave checked my voltage again running the voltmeter right back to the negative on the battery terminal (I usually ground only to the engine mount). According to that measurement I am 0.6V natural so I seem OK. Certainly was today!!

Congratulation Englishman! now its my turn :)

Back