Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Me and a good buddy fished yesterday aft from 330-930... what a beauty! Full moon, sunset, water was glass, beer was cold..sky went the oddest purple I have never seen - surreal. 3 springs to the boat released 1, + missed one. The big one was bang on 33.5 inches and fat and tall, and took a couple great runs. The rusty spring scale on boat said 22lber but I think that was light. All anchovy for us but tried nothing else this trip. Saw 1 or 2 other big fish being played between 4-6.

Wow it has been a long time coming. 1st time out on the water. This is the latest I have ever been out month wise in about 24 years. I usually start in April. Thanks to my good buddy Prettyboyfloyd we did a night fish. Unbelievable weather. Glass calm and the coolest skies I have ever seen. Got the fattest spring I think i have ever had. Really stubby nose. It was bang on Post to Post 85 CM (33.5 inches) We could not believe it. We measured it 4 times. Buddies scale said 22lbs but I don't think that scale was accurate. Don't think it had been used since 1961. I would say at least 25lbs. Took some huge runs, fought great. Thanks prettyboy for getting me out finally.

Did you get one?

Friday
I was fishin 2 rods by myself with a headwind that kept turning me. I got a double header springs. Lost one as the other rod lit up. Got it to the boat, measured up 75 cm. I released it. Big thanks to the guy who informed my dumb butt that I was allowed to keep up to 85 cm now. I should pay more attention to the regs. So now i'm thinking theres no way im gonna get another one after releasing a keeper (murphys law). 45 minutes later, boom another double header. 2 more to the boat and I kept the 1st one. They were all about 75 cm and they all smashed the gear hard. All the fish caught around 330-380 ft deep. at 50, 70 & 90 ft. Another one didn't make it to the boat, and a small coho released.

Sat
Went out with my buddy and got nothin. He however pulled in a big fat butt Spring that was 2 mm under 85 cm, and a coho we had for dinner. Crab traps produced as well. Most of the kids were gone and we had a feast fit for royalty along with more then a fair share of lucky lagers. Smokin some spring today and planning to go out for the night bite this evening. Yes summer is here!

Someone weighed in a 24.4 lber at wise buys Saturday morning. It was right on the line. We didn't weigh ours that was on the line, but there was nothing in its stomach.

Fished Trap shack to Secretary this morning picked up two , a 12 lb white wild and a 10 lb hatch both at 90 ft in 150 of water right at the tide change. Bullet roll chovie did the trick.

Fished the trap from 6-12 and got 3 springs to 18lbs and 2 hatch cohoes. Springs all on green spatter back and green flasher. Cohoes on chrome kripple "K" all at 70ft. Lots of crap in the water early, lots of BIG lumber.

1 10 lb spring and a cople of shaker at he trap and Head today. Kitchen sink.
T2

CBY sure it wasnt 11 lbs????

Fishing was definatlly slower today and currents were a tad weird compared to last couple of days??????? COHO everywhere at tide change lost count as to how many etc threw back a couple of 8 to 10 lb springs. didnt see much spring action....

Good luck wolf

Wow, what a morning! The trap lit up big time at first light. And Red Hot was right in middle of it. It was a real feeding frenzy out there for about an hour between 4:30 - 5:30 am. I lost count how many fish I had to the boat during that hour, I'd say at least 10-12. A few double headers when I did finally get two lines in at the time. It was crazy. All shallow, most between 27 and 37 feet, all on anchovies. Springs, sockeyes and coho. Ended up with 2 springs at about 11 and 16 lbs. Lost another screamer spring due to a broken leader - and I even sacrificed the only hatch coho I had all day for it - was playing the coho beside the boat trying to see if there is an adipose fin or not - plyers in hand. While the coho is still doing cartwheels as I am holding the leader in my hand I see the other rod doing two big dips and then the reel screams. I knew this was a good spring and I quit playing with the coho and just as I pop the hook out and the coho swims away I see it was clipped. Oh well, the unfortunate part is though that I lost this spring after a good 5 minute battle - big head shakes and then the leader was see-sawed through. I think because it took me so long to get to that rod the spring probably had the anchovie completely inhaled and the leader was right between his sharp teeth.

After 5:30 it slowed right down and I had only a few more sporadic bites - a few smaller springs and a couple more coho and one real nice sock - probably pushing 10 lbs. Fish moved then a little deeper down. But that first hours was unforgettable! Only 2 or 3 other boats out that early and they were into fish too as far as I had time to look up. Back home well before noon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, Chris. I had 2 guests who refused to come any earlier than 8 AM otherwise i would have ben there for that.
T2

5:45pm-7pm. So a little more then an hour. But about the time to troll from the head to cryke against a slow ebb. If thats a hint enough for ya ;)

I got a 32ft'r today.... bout it.

A lot better day up west this morning. Hit 8 springs landed 4, 21.5 being the largest and right on 85cm's again. Included 2 doubles one of which hit on the surface as I was trying to clear a line. Had an epic battle with a seal that grabbed our last spring. Had me down to the backing on an Mr2. The sucker went straight down and was in the strong back eddy behind Otter on the flood. Had to keep pulling off pounds of kelp that kept getting on the line making it even more difficult to deal with him. Finally got most of the line back on the reel and as we were about to get a peak at either him or the fish it just busted us out, lost the works. Lasted about 25 minutes with all of us taking a turn fighting him.

I want to hear bad repots here too! that will make me feel better :p :(

Aldridge to beechy and around 3-7 not a sniff saw a few on the cleaning tables on the way in and one caught out there. Stayed up till 2am tying a milllion different tackle selections, didnt work. sigh

We are looking into getting a couple of halibut reels, around 200 each. Any suggestions? Thanks Xena

Fishstalker what boat were you in I was at the head from 3-7pm got 9 springs including this 96cm long by 69 cm around. What a freaking beauty but great to see her swim off super strong and healthy!. Took some massive runs and sounded down deep. Thinking about 25-26 pounds? Anyone convert those measurments?

69ft on a green spoon was where all the big fish and even a 10 pound sockeye hit!

-KK

Back