Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

YEAH i think Fishfly is looking thru his beer goggles...... as a 11 lber isnt even close to that... cmon man

Only boat on the water today. Hit 4 springs, got 2 lost 2. 21 and 12 pounds. Also trolled up a chicken halibut. Started at Otter where the ebb current kept the inside tack fairly decent most of the morning, hit 2 there. Trolled up to Muir and hit 2 more and the hali. Lots of bait and birds at Muir. Unfortunately had one guy that was chumming all morning and by 11am the water was getting ugly and they called the trip short.

YEAH i was out there too with ya Rollie saw you at the dock.. was into some as well landed 1 hard to play fish in that wind......

New trophy handles? What did you go with islander or shimano? Cost?

I've got one to upgrade now too. Great report - hope that was English you saw getting fish he will certainly let us know.

Yes Englishman hooked up as he was passing me. As I had done just an hour earlier to him. Awsome! We were into 5 fish. Landed 4 let go 2 8's and kept a bleeding 6 and a 15. Trap and Head. Nice to see You out there putting on a show High Five! That water was ripping and that can cause alot of trouble as my Granfather found out getting spooled today.

-KK

Late start today because we got away from the ramp and realised gas level was lower than expected. Back to gas dock and 40 minutes later headed out again. Fished Trap and west from 8:15 until 2:00pm.
Got two hits on the dodger/squirt combo but one was only 3lb or so and went back and the other was literally a fat shaker!!
Anchovy on the other side rolled for hours doing nothing just like the previous two trips. Around 10am changed out what looked like a perfectly good anchovy for a new one just for something to do. Put it down for only 5 minutes at 100 feet and finally got a decent hit, east of the Trap in 160 feet of water. Boated a nice fat 10lb fish, which is my biggest for 2013. For me that will take some beating!! LOL:)

(KK that was the little 3lb fish I got passing you. I was just about to come up to the depth you advised when it hit. Took the 10 lb fish in sight of High Five. Well done HF, two fish that size are something to write home about. Makes mine look like a tiddler !! LOL):D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for clearing that up English. Thought for a minute you had caught some big summer springs today!
But you found the left over winters out there. LOL!

(Just joking with you of course, but man you got the summer spring curse. LOL)

Tips

Thanks for clearing that up English. Thought for a minute you had caught some big summer springs today!
But you found the left over winters out there. LOL!

(Just joking with you of course, but man you got the summer spring curse. LOL)

Tips
Man you got that right TU!! No big summers for me. But I shall keep trying. A day on the water today was fabulous......just to catch anything is a bonus!

Had a few hours at Sheringham again. But with no luck. I think I will try Secretary and the Trap tomorrow. Hope I have more luck.

Had a great day today. Light this morning landing a 30 nd a couple around 10 pounds. Lost 1 other. Then up to Otter for the afternoon. Ended up with a 20, and a couple around 13 pounds. Kept 2 nice fat hatch coho, released 2 wild and also 2 sockeye. Had an interesting encounter with Mr Doubleheader. He sets up inside of me in the flood rip just east of Otter, cuts right across me and clears to the outside of me. I keep going on my straight tack, I'm going faster than he is. He is sitting in the front seat never looking over his shoulder. Now he cuts back directly across me back to the inside. I'm only 30 feet back of him I have a line down 70 ft and I'm in 80 feet of water and holding my line. He starts yelling at me when he finally turns around and sees me right behind him. I start chuckling to myself. Sure enough my inside gear gets his inside gear and my rigger starts to vibrate as we get some separation. I start to bring the rigger up to clear him. His rod pops off the rigger because his hook is around my cable. He jumps up thinking he has a fish on. I get his gear to the top and flip the hook free. He starts screaming ahh Fnn F F it s gone...thanks a lot. Stay away from me ..blah blah blah I know others have posted on here about him...but now I know he is oblivious. He has no clue.

I should have pretended like he did have a fish on and said sorry that was the biggest fish I've seen in my life, must have been 60 pounds plus. lol

Out with newfie boy (down from up island) to work on the boat and got it done by 1:30 so decided to pop out front and try and scrape up a fish or two. The waves dropped and it turned into a nice sunny day. Did the harbor stroll back and forth for a couple of hours with no bites and not much on the sounder. Started to think we may have to stop being so lazy and go back to fishing Chovies. Current started to slow down and fish and bait started showing up on the sounder. We finally got a fish on and was playing it when the other rod just got hammered, - double header. Played them both and eventually lost the 2nd large hog but got the little 7lber. Fished the same spot and got another nice one but not as heavy as the one we lost. Got it up on the surface when one very large seal grabs it. We fought it for forty minutes and it was just playing with us. Eventually it bit off the head and we got back a nice large set of jaws along with the hot hootchie and flasher combo that has been working so well for us. Apparently seals are boycotting the slot restriction. Lots of fish off Sooke and soon the Coho and Pinks will be showing up in numbers. Also some nice size fish jumping, possibly Sockeye and a small group of those little brown Harbor Porpoise. Going out tomorrow to battle with the weekend crowd.

Out yesterday 8am to noon at otter. Saw a few fish caught, not for us, until around 10:15 at the last rock, closet to the beach. Pin popper. After a couple of great runs, finally to the boat, beautiful, fat wild spring. A quick measurement and DAM!!! 87 cm. back to live another day. In about 70 ft of water at 50ft down, green glow head.

Oh yah and we had some company on the beach....a teenage black bear doing some beachcoming near the point. Quite a sight.

That was all for us. Quit at noon.

COHO hits dont count fishfly.... LOL

All kidding aside today started out in fog and basically it stayed most of the day, nice fish out there lept one at 20 lbs and had a strange thing happen notice weeds as there were TONS out there today knew i had something heavy on the rigger start bringing it up with the rod still clipped on (as that how I do it) look down see a big stick on my rigger stop it at water level. I can see the clip cause the water is super clear today id say about 10 ft or so down start clearing off the crap when BAMMMMM rod jumps like crazy screaming line for about 10 seconds!!! im like WHOA what have we here???? as soon as the flasher pops up and its doing the forward side to side thing I know right away cool a halibut!!!!
nice 20 lber for the box .good bonus.
Then the coho start showing up I see them finning and jumping got into about a dozen or so of them and managed to get 2 hatchery close enough to put in box.
Client says to me at the end of day You know what we live in such a great place to have all this in one day. really makes you think doesnt it....we are lucky... especially compared to whats happening in calgary....

Good luck Wolf

Client says to me at the end of day You know what we live in such a great place to have all this in one day. really makes you think doesnt it....we are lucky... especially compared to whats happening in calgary....

Good luck Wolf

You can say that again Wolf! The folks back in the UK cannot even imagine what we have here. It is so far beyond their ken that I cannot communicate the fecundity and wild beauty of it to them. But then again that is probably good or there would be hundreds more immigrants like me escaping the industrial wastelands of Britain.....LOL;)

Definetly slower for us and almost everyone up at the light. Saw 1 caught then nearing the end of the morning right on the change we got lucky and picked up a 31 pounder. The afternoon at Otter was as nice a day as you could ask for. Calm, a nice workable flood and the boats thinned out. Saw 5 or 6 caught we ended up with a 8 pound spring, let go some wild coho and one the way home scooped up a barely alive floater pacific cod about 8 -9 pounds. That was our bonus. Crabs on both trips too.

Beautiful day on the water today, we were out with our kids from 3-7 this afternoon at Otter. At the dock, someone told us the bite was just coming on at 90'. We got out there and our hits were shallower, 50-60', and all on green spoons. Brought home 2 hatch coho and one good enough spring, had 2 more on and other lost hits, one was a real nice wild coho safely returned to fight another day. First fish of the season in the boat!

Fished possession area from 5-8ish last night. A dozen plus boats out there and only saw 2 fish. Nothing for me. Spoons 75-110ft. 'Thinking I should have come up shallower. My buddy forgot the rods when he came down to the boat, which im pretty sure caused us to miss the current change...... That's my excuse anyway!!

Back