Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Rumor has it a 39 was caught off sheringam yesterday.NOW don't all go up there looking for it . that fish is GONE, just a sign of some nice fish in our area herad of reports from trap was good as well so it seems more fish are moved in EVERYWHERE....except for the renfrew beaches

Good luck Wolf

Rumor has it a 39 was caught off sheringam yesterday.NOW don't all go up there looking for it . that fish is GONE, just a sign of some nice fish in our area herad of reports from trap was good as well so it seems more fish are moved in EVERYWHERE....except for the renfrew beaches

Good luck Wolf

It was only a 35 :)

But it was buddy's first tyee and it was a freight train.......unless someone else got a tyee off sherringham?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chose the wrong day to get sick. Ended up staying home today. Dad and my buddy Mike got out for a troll this AM and landed the largest sooke spring for us since 2001. She went back healthy. No measuring or dicking around they just let her go. They also lost a high 20's at the boat and got 6 around 6-7 pounds and a double header of 10 and 12 pounds. Now thats a wicked days fishing. Home by 10:30.

Fish was caught at 104ft on a spoon and purple haze!

Guess I will have fishing on the brain when Im camping all weekend without a fishing pole!

-KK

Chose the wrong day to get sick. Ended up staying home today. Dad and my buddy Mike got out for a troll this AM and landed the largest sooke spring for us since 2001. She went back healthy. No measuring or dicking around they just let her go. They also lost a high 20's at the boat and got 6 around 6-7 pounds and a double header of 10 and 12 pounds. Now thats a wicked days fishing. Home by 10:30.

Fish was caught at 104ft on a spoon and purple haze!

Guess I will have fishing on the brain when Im camping all weekend without a fishing pole!

-KK

Spring was mid 30's for anyone wondering.

Nice fish karma kazi, keep the reports coming!!!

Fished Sooke for the first time this season (Becher to Secretary Isl from 6:30 to noon). 4 Chinook, released two little guys, kept one in the mid-teens and another beauty just shy of the 85cm max. Fat football that peeled line with a few huge runs ... great fight. Also caught 8 coho, two hatch and 6 wild. All fish caught from 40-80 ft and on bait, hootchies and spoons. The big Chin was on bait, other decent Chin hootchie and the Coho loved the spoons and hootchies. Lots of large debris in the water for the ride back to Victoria. Also saw a dingy floating in the middle of nowhere past Race Rocks. I towed it in and will contact the police to see if someone reported one missing. If you know of anyone missing a little inflatable let me know. O, was also boarded by RCMP to check for safety gear, got a note saying I was "fully compliant" to avoid future fishing interruptions. A little sloppy at times with gusts of wind but all in all a great day!
Jarett

Good for you so thats about 4 times now that I know of RCMP are out looking (checked me once) they told me they were going to be on the water alot more!!!!As there is too many complaints about non compliant boats without proper stuff .Also heard now they can fine you as well as of this year.
So word of warning the sport sector may want to make sure we have all documentation and safety gear put on our boats . as it would really suck if you got in trouble.
REPORT yesterday was good kept 2 nice springs BOTH of which were hatchery mid and high teeners and some nice big coho for this time of year. back out again this am.
Good luck wolf

Hey Rollie our fire extinguisher is in need of replacment soon. Can I get one from you? or do I go to a store to buy it?

-KK

Good for you so thats about 4 times now that I know of RCMP are out looking (checked me once) they told me they were going to be on the water alot more!!!!As there is too many complaints about non compliant boats without proper stuff .Also heard now they can fine you as well as of this year.
So word of warning the sport sector may want to make sure we have all documentation and safety gear put on our boats . as it would really suck if you got in trouble.
REPORT yesterday was good kept 2 nice springs BOTH of which were hatchery mid and high teeners and some nice big coho for this time of year. back out again this am.
Good luck wolf

Hey Wolf, or anyone else being checked by RCMP, have they been checking your ROC-M? I have a ROC-A but from what I read that doesn't mean squat if using a marine VHF

Got a late start yesterday around 10am, waiting for rain to stop. Got into coho immediately out from the Trap Shack, double header produced 2 keepers, then nothing but wilds. Didn't see any Spring action although there were some teeners back at the dock @ Cheanuh. Heard it was good early morning. We fished til 3pm without any bite after noon. Fish were from 40-80'.

I think ROC-A is for aviation. I have that one too.

You don't need your ROC to just listen to VHF conversation right? So can you actually get a ticket if your not talking on it?

Really that's a stupid rule IMO. VHF is a safety device ROC or not somebody in trouble should use the VHF. They should remove the ROC requirement and include VHF training in the pleasure craft operator card.

WELL GDW its the law so is running a stop sign (if you get stopped) imo.YES they checked for EVERYTHING he also aske di fI had up to date flares etc and said yes and was about to haul em out for him he said thats ok.

Report today was good 3 on only one landed unfortunatlly, trolled up west for a bit what a mistake must have landed 40 coho got a limit of hatch in no time!!!!was a lot of fun triple headers and such clients had a blast.
As for radar High five it doesnt help you see logs much sorry to say just got to go slow and eyes open....

wolf

Went out with TheB55 around 6:30am in the fog today. To Otter point and had a lot coho action. Got a few keepers and a nice Spring.

Was strange when all of the sudden the boat showing up beside us in the fog was a whale watching boat. Then we noticed the Orcas too.

When we went back to Sooke around 2:00pm I had the spring and a coho in my Hand just standing on the back platform of the boat before stepping on the dock and was talking too long when a seal jumped up and ripped the spring out of my hand. I was feeling like getting after him.
That's what you get for standing around in the wrong spot and chatting.

Thanks to TheB55 for letting me join and drive his Boat a bit and thanks to Wolf for giving me a ride up the hill at the resort.

What a 'great' day :)
Michael

When I go to the government website for the marine forecast for Sooke, what area am I looking for? We are going to be there Mon-Fri next week but don't want to bother if we are going to get hammered with a strong wind warning. We only have a 17 ft boat so would suck to spend the money and get stuck in the harbor. What would be considered a bad direction and over what speed would be considered unsafe?

When I go to the government website for the marine forecast for Sooke, what area am I looking for? We are going to be there Mon-Fri next week but don't want to bother if we are going to get hammered with a strong wind warning. We only have a 17 ft boat so would suck to spend the money and get stuck in the harbor. What would be considered a bad direction and over what speed would be considered unsafe?

i use juan de fucas section and if you check sharinham point lite or race rock lite sooke is in the middle so that you got a good idea of what is going on or i also check (bigwavedave.ca)than(check gordon beach) and he is better and closer of what is the future forcast. marine weather and warning for canada seem to be alway high for prediction i feel they play on the safe side.

that is my opinion

Big Wave Dave all the way. Way better forecast. I've got a 23ft and usually draw the line at about 15 knots not because the boat can't take it, just becomes more work and not as fun.

Back