Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Yup! I was out solo at the trap at 10am and off the water by 11 with two... Well not solo, but my dog doesn't have a fishing license so I had to go in...

Last edited by a moderator:
Was also at the trap today with my daughter and her boyfriend from 7-1 and had 6 to the boat and only managed 1 both of them busted off to nice ones right at the boat. Pissed me off both of them were close to 20lbs. All at 60-80ft and Chrome Kripple K and Tom Macs. Went old school today and it paid off except for the getting them in the boat part. LOL. They ended up with one small for dinner so they were happy. All in all a nice day with my daughter, only the 2nd time fishing with her in 20 years. Last time was when she was about 5 years old. Addicted saw you out there, I said to my daughter "I wonder how many fish that dog caught today". Didn't know it was you.

Still a couple hanging around later in the day today too...picked up a 15 lb spring (75 cm in case anyone cares) at trap around 4 pm. There was only one other boat there and we saw them hook up one as well. We had another pin popper at the same time as the one that we got but nothing after that. We were 65 and 85 feet on downriggers with anchovy.

Fished halibut earlier in the afternoon and kept 2 chickens. All in all a great afternoon on the water.

Wow, Sounds like maybe wrong place then. Should have battled the storm and moved down to the trap. Seemed like it got super weedie once past the head.

Great job on all the fish guys.

Two nice wilds yesterday. We were out between Sheringham and Point No Point. 150 ft of water, 50 ft down. Trolling around 2 to 2.5 knots. One on chovy, one on Durabait. Both between 10:30 and 11:30. 9 and 13 lbs. Lost another 9 pounder at the boat, and had 3 or 4 shakers.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Missed out on a fathers day fish over the weekend, so the old man and I headed out yesterday afternoon to possession. 100ft water, downrigger to 89ft. small green spoon with a 6ft+ leader. Wasn't out more than 5 minutes when we got it. The wind picked up right after we landed the fish, and we went back in. Round trip was probly just over an hour! It was great! looked to be 12-15lbs 82cm and fat!

Got out this am Got into a few landed 2 lost 1 to a seal at sec. good battle SO with these regs had to really look at one of them as it was (in my mind) about a 20 lber we got so I have a 32 inch gaff so laid it beside it good to go BONK!!!!!!! after it was dead weighed it was 21.5 lbs and it was 31 inches sorry dont use cm lol as we are allowed a fish just a bit under 34 inches so im guessing a 23lb ish will be ok to go.
And yes lots off weeds today

Good luck Wolf

Yes I am, based out of sooke harbour marina. you can check it out on the web

Wolf

Wow that is a heavy fish I got a 31" fish the other day weighing only 11 pounds. That must have been a feaking football!

-KK

I have decided to head over to Sooke for the first week of July putting the size restriction aside. The smaller fish are better eating they say anyways. But with my luck when we are going after smaller ones we will catch nothing but big ones. I am wanting to try for Halibut possibly one day outta the 4 days we will be there. Is there an area close that we can try? Do you recommend anchoring up or is drifting an option? I was also considering a guide for the day. We will have our boat, I have lots of experience with trolling for salmon, not so much when it comes to Halibut. Any advice would be great, not asking to give up a secret spot or exact gps location, just looking to get sent in the right direction.

There are some decent hali tides the first couple of days of July. Your best bet would be to hire a guide for the first day, get your hali fishing done and the lay of the land. Your guide can probably get you some hali and finish the day with a bit of salmon fishing. Then you can salmon fish on your own for the rest of your trip.
Hali fishing is Sooke is about knowing the areas, currents and how we fish here. You may waste your time trying for hali if you are not in the know.

My opinion.

Tips

Back