Sidney

xrocx- they are anywhere and everywhere- you have to watch the areas of fast current. They got me smack in the middle of the sidney channel. Shouldn't be a problem if the water is like Andrew P's picture. Beauty day!

ther size slot limit is to protect the early running chinook heading up the fraser, as they are hurting as far as numbers go. Looks like a good day for sure

I think it's more out migrating Fraser and cowichan fish they are protecting. Minimum size in Sidney is 63cm minimum off Victoria is 45cm. It's the no wild fish over "X cm" that protects early timed Fraser and its season specific. The minimum size in each area is always in place.

I think it's more out migrating Fraser and cowichan fish they are protecting. Minimum size in Sidney is 63cm minimum off Victoria is 45cm. It's the no wild fish over "X cm" that protects early timed Fraser and its season specific. The minimum size in each area is always in place.

do you know why it is 45cm in Victoria and 63cm in Sidney?

you guys are talking about the minimum size for chinook allowed, the dividing line is Cadboro point, from there all up the west coast 45 cm minimum, from there up the inside to port hardy its 62 cm minimum.

need to make a line somewhere, that's just where it is, check out area 19 regs as it splits in that area.

slot size is a different issue.

often when we have to release a 61 cm fish we joke that we coulda kept it in victoria

do you know why it is 45cm in Victoria and 63cm in Sidney?

Like I said in the post you quoted I *think* it's to protect out migrating Fraser and cowichan fish. It's true those fish can be caught in the Victoria area but probably not nearly as many as the gulf islands through Sidney.

The inside waters need more protection then the west coast they don't see nearly as many American hatchery fish and our inside rivers have been hammered. It's 63cm all the way up the inside isn't it? And 45cm all the way up the outside?

Like I said in the post you quoted I *think* it's to protect out migrating Fraser and cowichan fish. It's true those fish can be caught in the Victoria area but probably not nearly as many as the gulf islands through Sidney.

The inside waters need more protection then the west coast they don't see nearly as many American hatchery fish and our inside rivers have been hammered. It's 63cm all the way up the inside isn't it? And 45cm all the way up the outside?
Wouldn't inside waters start at Flattery? To be honest I think the pressure is pretty high out Sooke way, so if they wanted to avoid pressure that would be the place. I'd think you're right about it protecting the fish that don't hang a left off Victoria, that makes sense.

Short and sweet for me today. The creel survey guy said I was on the water for 2 hours total. I put 1 crab trap off Sidney island and then went and then and went with the flow down James island. I got an 8 pound spring in the second pass and went to pull the trap.

The trap would have been down for 1.5 hours and had 19 dungees in it! All males. 5 undersized. Took home the best 4 and the rest went back.

Good 3 hour hall pass from my wife! ;)ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362272155.623369.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1362272174.908047.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1362272204.550050.jpg

thx andrew p heading out in the morn may try sidny fair fax area or polier will see what the weather is doing.did you try any anchovie ?

Went out sunday and fished Sidney Channel. Lots of action. We had 6 fish between 50-60cm to the boat and would have kept the two at 60cm, but not in that zone. Good day of catch and release under perfect sky and no wind. Stung a tad getting back to the ramp to find a couple anglers quickly cleaning one that was clearly over 62cm and two that were clearly under. had it been the day before the creel guy would have been there. We gave our disapproval on the way by.

I'm confused, can I not keep a chinook over 62cm?

Looks like only if its hatchery

Effective 00:01 hours March 1, 2013 until 23:59 hours June 15, 2013 in Subareas
19-1 to 19-4 and Subarea 20-5(those waters near Victoria between Cadboro Pt to
Sheringham Pt.), the daily limit is two (2) chinook salmon per day which may be
wild or hatchery marked between 45 cm and 67 cm or hatchery marked greater than
67 cm in length.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x..._notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=148606&ID=recreational

Looks like only if its hatchery

Effective 00:01 hours March 1, 2013 until 23:59 hours June 15, 2013 in Subareas
19-1 to 19-4 and Subarea 20-5(those waters near Victoria between Cadboro Pt to
Sheringham Pt.), the daily limit is two (2) chinook salmon per day which may be
wild or hatchery marked between 45 cm and 67 cm or hatchery marked greater than
67 cm in length.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x..._notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=148606&ID=recreational

That is the regs for Sooke to Victoria...

Sidney is north of Cadboro Point:

62 cm
N. of Cadboro Pt.
(Subareas 19-5 to 19-12)
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s19-eng.htm

But.....as far as I can see, this means that the slot limit that is in place from Sooke through Vic is not in place out there meaning that a wild or hatchery over 62cm is keepable. Under 62cm hatchery or wild has to go back, which is tough to do when it is a nice 6-7pound hatchery fish that could be kept a few miles away. These regs don't really make sense to me, but the rules are the rule. The hatchery fish are the same US hatchery fish from Constance through Sidney, but the early Fraser Chinook(wild) that the slot limit is meant to protect is not in place in this zone...Correct me if I am wrong on this because it goes against logic that I would think would apply...

Nice Hali near Sidney Island

IMG_0224.jpg

Was able to get out on Sunday and picked up this nice hali near Sidney Island. Saw a few other boats anchored for halibut and a few trolling for Springs. Are there still some winter Springs being picked up?

View attachment 6841

Was able to get out on Sunday and picked up this nice hali near Sidney Island. Saw a few other boats anchored for halibut and a few trolling for Springs. Are there still some winter Springs being picked up?

We did not too bad, managed to pick up a nice spring waiting for the currents to mellow out. Then managed to pull off a Hali double header, absolute chaos for 10 minutes! Total blast.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 432
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 434
Fished Sidney on Friday to avoid the wind.
First time hali fishing the area. No hali but great morning of exploring and good shelter from the unfishable winds at the waterfront that day.

Trolled back up the chanel on the way in and picked up an 8lb spring near the red can.

Great day covering some new ground.

Tips

Back