Best type of gaff for bottom fishing?

1704468170030.jpegEvery commercial troller uses these unless the stern is too high. You need to get the right length for your boat. Shorter gives you better control and accuracy. I always bent mine out a bit and you have to keep them sharp. Don't flail away with your gaff, wait until you get a good clean shot at the head, no point in having a fatally wounded fish fall off your hook and your gaff too. Did I mention, keep the point sharp!!!!

I have the gaff onefish likes, a huge barbed shark hook on a rope for over but legal halis, and a modified princess auto meat hook on a 6 foot handle that I use as a boat hook, pot retriever, and back of the truck crap reacher.
I usually net rider lings.

Thanks for all the great tips and advice on this thread everyone. Just picked up a new Danielson 32" commercial gaff and added some diamond wrap heat shrink.

Attachments

• 20240106_174445.jpg
    20240106_174445.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 65
When it comes to choosing the right gaff for lingcod fishing, it ultimately depends on personal preference and fishing conditions. Both the methods you mentioned have their advantages and it's important to consider the size and behavior of the fish, as well as the ease of gaffing and landing it.

Downward force gaff (Top of the skull): This method, commonly used in BC, involves applying downward force onto the top of the fish's head. This technique aims to immobilize the fish by controlling its head movement. It can be effective for lingcod, as they have a bony skull.

Upward force gaff (Underside of the head or side): The technique you observed in videos from Alaska, California, Florida, and the Caribbean involves using a longer gaff and pulling upward into the softer underside of the fish's head or its side. This method offers more leverage and can be effective with lingcod as well.

It's worth noting that when using a downward force gaff, accuracy and proper technique are important to ensure a successful gaff. Deflection can occur if the angle or force applied is not optimal, resulting in a missed gaff.

Ultimately, try experimenting with both methods and use the one you feel most comfortable and confident with. You may find that one technique works better for you in specific fishing situations or fishing grounds. It's also a good idea to talk to experienced anglers in your local area or fishing communities to gather more insights and recommendations based on their experiences with lingcod fishing, just as you have here in this forum.

For what it's worth I gaffed a ~25lb free swimming ling with a V style cedar gaff. It followed a rock fish up, then hung out under the boat watching the rock fish dangle on the hook beside the boat. It would occasionally swim out and take a lunge at the rock fish. Missed on the first swing, but got it on the second. Don't think I would have had a chance with a U shaped gaff.

Not to say that scenario is very common, but made for a cool experience and in one isolated case, the gaff on hand made the catch.

For what it's worth I gaffed a ~25lb free swimming ling with a V style cedar gaff. It followed a rock fish up, then hung out under the boat watching the rock fish dangle on the hook beside the boat. It would occasionally swim out and take a lunge at the rock fish. Missed on the first swing, but got it on the second. Don't think I would have had a chance with a U shaped gaff.

Not to say that scenario is very common, but made for a cool experience and in one isolated case, the gaff on hand made the catch.
I was actually going to tell a similar story, kind of. We were into some great bottom fishing near Galiano and we started getting a little too loose in our boating techniques. My buddy tried to yank about a 20lb ling over the rail and it snapped off. I was about to start screaming when he flailed over the side, damn near falling out of the boat, and with one big swing he caught it by it's butt as it tried to swim away. Wouldn't have happened with the U shaped gaff. One in a million shot doc!

I was actually going to tell a similar story, kind of. We were into some great bottom fishing near Galiano and we started getting a little too loose in our boating techniques. My buddy tried to yank about a 20lb ling over the rail and it snapped off. I was about to start screaming when he flailed over the side, damn near falling out of the boat, and with one big swing he caught it by it's butt as it tried to swim away. Wouldn't have happened with the U shaped gaff. One in a million shot doc!
Ya, I've had the same thing happen with a spring when I was a kid. We fished without a net in the boat, all the fish got brought in with the gaff. Fish broke off at the side of the boat, gaff man caught it in the back before it could bolt.

I am a fan of the stainless hay hook style of gaff. They are inexpensive so if one accidentally gets dropped over it is not the end of the world. Have wrestled quite a few big Ak halibut in the boat with them. You do need to be carefully with the swing because if you miss the tip likes to dig into the side of the boat. Feel like the t handle provides good leverage for hauling in halibut.
IMG_6684.jpeg

I am a fan of the stainless hay hook style of gaff. They are inexpensive so if one accidentally gets dropped over it is not the end of the world. Have wrestled quite a few big Ak halibut in the boat with them. You do need to be carefully with the swing because if you miss the tip likes to dig into the side of the boat. Feel like the t handle provides good leverage for hauling in halibut.
View attachment 101543
This is what I use but I bent the tip in just a little bit

That is what I use, with a better angle on the hook.
I thought it was a meat hook, not sure where I picked it up, had some pretty wild nights back in the 90's, just showed up on the boat one day.
Now I know it was from a farmer, which kinda makes sense in retrospect.
When I was looking up meat hooks to post a picture, they all have too short of a shank.

I've used both types, and carry both on the boat, but for lingcod, I prefer the J shape to the V. If you strike down with the V-type, you then have to twist your wrist to lift the fish out of the water and into the boat, creating lots of opportunities for the fish to thrash and twist, and the line to get involved. Lifting up through the bottom of the head lets you boat the fish in one fluid motion. A barb on any gaff for fish the size we're talking about seems like overkill.

I'm surprised that none of the gaffs pictured have a hole drilled at the top of the handle to accommodate a loop of 1/4-inch shock cord big enough to slide easily over your hand, but tight enough to keep the gaff from being dropped accidentally.

Hopefully people aren't keeping lingcod over about 25 pounds unless they're gill-hooked. The likelihood of them being spawners and/or wormy increases rapidly above that size, and the meat gets coarser and less desirable. Here's a picture from about 25 years ago, before we knew better than to keep the biggest ones.
1704831791778.jpeg

Last edited:
Back