Sidney

Nice work man, talk about instant happiness after putting out all the loot on the new boat n gear, my first trip out in my new to me boat i left my 90$ scotty net on the roof n peeld out when the water turned ugly, guess that what i get for the ole dip the net theory. regardless real nice fish man congrats!

Going to have another try tomorrow... Drop the traps and have a fish.... Going to be a good trip however it works out. Try the new ace line hauler (that I got at trotac today) ....hope it works sweet like most members say :)

I was out two weeks back and fished coal on the ebb for an hour, nothing, so headed over to the channel and made passes on the ebb past powder down to the first crab string a few hundred yards past the end of James. About the 4 th pass we hit a nice chinook and it made two big runs and my partner horsed it to the boat and when it came alongside and looked up it decided to snap the line and swim away with my flasher dragging behind it. It had nice wide shoulders and looked to be around 15lbs. If you catch him with a green and white coho killer and purple haze flasher, PM me to return my gear. LOL. Then on next pass my buddy drove us into a submerged crab line and lost a cannon ball, about 60ft of cable and another flasher and spoon. I think I need to buy a machete to clear that channel each time before fishing it.

Last week I fished north or Darcy for hali for about 2.5hrs on a slack, but no bites. decent crab around sidney spit it if there is not a crowd of commi traps.

When i lived in Sidney, I found the month of May was always the best month to fish. Moresby on the flood. 120' to 150' is the ticket. The best lure was always a green silver coyote followed by anchovies. Hambley can also produce as well in front of the Sunkist house to Wain rock

FYI

JL

Out of Tulista for 7:30, dropped crab traps. headed around back of Sidney island for an anchor. After 30 minutes, a hali liked our octopus/salmon bellies. landed our first halibut, 30 pounder!! picked up 5 crab. beauty day, sun came out and calm seas, not Sooke for sure!! Xena

Fished Pender Bluffs first thing this morning, till the commercial guys bombed the area with traps. Pulled up and went to Fairfax and dropped the gear and got one right away on a Chrome Kripple-K@ 80ft. Went in and found the dock sitting high and dry so had to stay out till the tide was higher. Went back out and fished Coal, there was about 8 boats working it hard saw a couple caught nothing more for us. Packed it in about 4.

We started out this morning at Hambley. Lots of action on the sounder, but had a real hard time keeping the weeds off the lines. Moved to Coal around noon and like Casper said there were quite a few boats working it. We got one small one around 8lbs at 120ft on a white hope hoochie and saw one other landed.

Out of Sidney this morning. lines in at 8am, this fellow tore the line out and then sat on bottom for an hour and a half. Hubby figured out to lay the 30 pound test (ya salmon rod too!) in the Scotty prawn puller. He pulled the rod back a foot, then reeled the line back to the puller. He repeated this maneuver for half an hour. slowly, this guy came to the surface, another short run and then hubby grabbed the spreader bar (now bent to ratsh#!) He tried to get the hook out, but this guy didn't like it, so he cut the line at the hook. Mr. halibut now has a piercing. ANY GUESSES ON THE WEIGHT? WE THOUGHT HE WAS AROUND 5- 5.5 FEET LONG.IMG_0081.jpgIMG_0084.jpgIMG_0085.jpgIMG_0086.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
He wouldn't lay out for the tape measure, but by the size of his mouth, he was a monster for us, halibut noodling anyone? Xena

That mouth does look huge maybe Wolf or Rscraven would have an educated guess of its weight. You may have underestimated its length.

you're bang on Spring Fever, somewhere between 110 and 150lbs.
A real nice Halibut.
Congrats on the catch and release.

:)

Commercial prawners were working the zero rock area and I wondered if this would impact hali fishing. I'm thinking the scent from the traps would be a major attractor and draw them in to that area. And no I'm not suggesting anchoring in the middle of their set. Just thinking it might be a poor place to fish because the fish would be drawn away.from where it was safe to anchor.

IMG_0091.jpgIMG_0096.jpgIMG_0097.jpg Out at 7 this morning, headed for the backside of Sidney Island. Had a couple of nibbles right from the start, then nothing. Then a couple cod, dogfish and a starfish. I landed my first halibut and thankfully, then same size as my husband's from a month ago! 40 inches, 30 pounder. The water got calmer as the morning progressed. T-shirt weather and dinner in the boat, awesome. Good Luck to all in the Derby! Xena

Nice fish Xena. Any salmon reports at the Tulista dock?

Back