Sidney

Nice fish Xena. Any salmon reports at the Tulista dock?

Thanks, as far as salmon, not that I heard. The volunteer from Sidney Anglers only said that my halibut was the nicest size of halibut that he had seen that day.

Anybody else?

Xena does it again, congrats (Jadie says WOW!) . We took the kids out jigging the Red can and Powder wharf. Lost one small Halibut close to the Powder wharf caught in 90' on a Gibbs minnow and wifey lost a fish as well but we aren't sure what...lol. Other than that not much in the way of bait or birds. Sucks to be rookies but what a beauty day!

Tried Fairfax Pt, then Coal, then Powder Wharf/Channel from 7 to 12. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Bait jumping on the surface lots around fairfax, but no signs of salmon, and no nets out on the dozen boats that were all rotating around hunting salmon today. Great day for a tan, dead calm, but no derby winners for me.

I posted this under General, but thought those who monitor Sidney may be more likely to have some advice. While I"m out on Pender, I'm thinking of going for some hali, catch one like Xena's woud be great!

Hi, I'm planning a family camping trip on the boat (first time!) from Sidney over to Pender Island soon, and would like to put the boat in at Sidney, and then leave the truck and trailer there for 4-5 days. Anyone know if there is short-term, overnight parking options in Sidney at or near a marina/ramp? And any suggestions as to where the best place to launch is? Thanks.

Drifted the powder wharf and red can from 230pm-630pm and jigged up 12 dogfish from 120' up to 80'. Not many birds or fish on the sounder. Just have to figure out how to hook into the eating kind now. Only saw 4 other boats and no action.

Sidneyboy

set the anchor @8, spent the morning flipping dogfish off :) a couple of rockfish too. had a friendly visit from the new RCMP unit, we were prepared and got our paper. get day on the water! Xena

Any action around Sidney yet for coho? I'll be out there the next few weekends and want to get my son into some easy salmon fishing, so he doesn't get bored. Any action yet at pender bluffs?

Anybody out today? thinking of taking the kids out to Coal or the Red Can tomorrow am. Sooke is on fire , just hoping there are a few around the Sidney area

Out 6am-noon today, drifted the Spit, Red Can and Powder wharf and nothing but 3 Dogfish. Tonnes of birds and bait in front of the spit and saw a few arches around the 60-80' and 110' mark but nothing was interested in what we had...that's 3 strikes for us now.

Are you drift-jigging SidneyBoy? Just jigs , no downrigger stuff?

You can take an ordinary Spinnow or whatever you are jigging with:-

6ft of leader from jig to Sampo plus beadchain, clip to a 6 or 8 oz trolling weight (with swivels at each end) and tie trolling weight to main.

Then troll....just fast enough to get a pulse on the rod.

Don't forget to debarb your hooks...

I've caught Coho that way.......

We were drifting and jigging Gibbs Minnows and various others between 3-4oz. Tested out new Garmin Sounder and it worked vary well with lots of arches showing out at the spit. No trolling for us as I am running a 7.4 MPI Bravo 3 with no kicker (wife says new kitchen before kicker) however the sounder showed a water speed between 1.9 mph and 2.7mph at idle so from what I have read on this sight I might mount the downriggers and try. I always though I would be too fast Did anyone else catch anything in Sidney this weekend?

1.9 mph and 2.7mph is perfect spead for trolling. You could also drag a bucket off a cleat to slow ya down a bit.

fished Saturday from 6-8 at Fairfax but no bites nor any action seen, other than some seals eating when I arrived. Headed to coal from 8-10, nothing there either. Then back to the Inlet to empty and reload traps. Prawning was slow, and crabbing was all rockies and massive female dungies. Ended the weekend with a feast of halibut, prawns and crab on the deck, so it all worked out.

Hit the Pender Bluffs yesterday for some pinks. Figured the kids had the best chance of landing their first fish. Well luck shined down and they each caught one. Mom and Dad lost 4 lol. I realize pinks don't excite a lot of serious fisherman but wow the kids were pumped. As I had read on this Forum, the big smile from a kids first salmon is priceless and I was fortunate to experience it! It was definitely worth the 16 GPH to get to the fishing! Thanks to all for the info and advice here on the site. Only a few boats out. One boat had 4 guys casting from it and they were in non stop action. The boy wanted to bonk his fish and well, it took a few hence the blood!

Sidneyboy

Attachments

• IMG_1979.jpg
    IMG_1979.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_1985.jpg
    IMG_1985.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 363
there's a few pinks at Pender, forgot to take photos but here are some going into the brine. Got one coho and one small spring at fairfax between 11 and 1 on saturday, both released unharmed.

Attachments

• IMG_1583.jpg
    IMG_1583.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 332
Anyone fish Fairfax or the Bluffs recently. Thinking of taking the grandkids out tomorrow. Hoping to get them their first salmon.

Has anyone fished out towards Sidney lately/over the weekend? With the evening winds on the Vic waterfront all week and the good amount of chinook off Oak Bay and the waterfront the last couple weeks, there could be some fish around there. I've have never had much summer luck on that side, only winter. I'm keen to try anywhere from Ten Mile through Coals...

??!!

Keep an eye on the Chinook closure boundaries from Aug 1 on from Saanich inlet through to somewhere by Moresby I believe. No recent reports that I am aware of, but those chinook heading for the fraser are likely nosing around shorelines that way as they have been so heavy off Sooke , Constance and Oak Bay lately.

Back