Best type of gaff for bottom fishing?

Howesoundhound

I know we're still 4 months from bottom fishing season, but anyone have insights on which gaffs work best for lingcod fishing? I see many in BC use the type of gaff that is applied with downward force onto the top of the fish skull. But when I watch YouTube vids from Alaska, California and even those going for other large species in Florida or the Caribbean, I only see people using the longer type of gaff that it is pulled upward into the softer underside of the fish's head (whatever its chin is called) or its side. Any thoughts on what's better? Personally, I've had a few situations where I used the gaff downward onto the top of the fish head and it deflected off, missing the fish.

I use this one. It’ll pierce a ling skull, release salmon and snafoo a trap float. I like it and don’t see a need for a different style.

when I have time, i would like to make my own out a chunk of arbutus I have, it’ll likely be this same style

Attachments

• IMG_4122.png
    IMG_4122.png
    76.2 KB · Views: 43
I was very much a top down gaff guy for a long time. This last season I tried my first long handle hook gaff and have to admit I loved it. Planning on getting a bubba gaff for next season
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking I'll end up experiencing too. It seems so many now use the long handle style, esp outside of BC waters

I have both. The long (U-shaped ) one works well but it confused the hell out of most people. It's really sharp too.

Last edited:
Can’t aim at the top of the head on Lings. Too bony. I’ve gaffed a few over the years and I’ve knocked off a couple but it’s usually a quick and decisive “whack and stick.” I lose more salmon at the net than Lings at the gaff. Hazards of the job. I bet for every 50 Ive gaffed, I’ve lost 1 due to knocking if off.
I like the downward style personally. And the gaffs needs to be long enough to reach down over the gunnels.

Few years back I was up it @Captain PartyMarty neck of the woods and attempted a gaff shot on a big ling. Bounced right off the bridge of her nose and tore out an eye (think Chubbs Peterson off Happy Gilmore.). That reel screamed for 200’ as she went straight back down 😂. Got the fish finally and made for a funny story.

Love the longer handle gaff - makes it very easy to reach the water line to release salmon. Equally effective for bottom fish. I started using shrink wrap grip for the handle, which makes it far easier to maintain your grip on a wet handle.

Love the longer handle gaff - makes it very easy to reach the water line to release salmon. Equally effective for bottom fish. I started using shrink wrap grip for the handle, which makes it far easier to maintain your grip on a wet handle.

^^^Protip^^^

I think it's the U hook Vs. The V that he's most interested in understanding.

Personally, I think the sharp gaff you are skilled at using is the best one.

I've used both, never really got comfortable with the U hook style.

As for bouncing off lingcod heads with the V style gaffs, it's a skill like any other and a sharp gaff goes a long way to reducing the problem.

These are my go to units, shorter version is a modified long handle that sadly broke after about 15 years hard use.

IMG_5052.jpeg

I’ve had many different gaffs over the years but last year I picked up a Scotty gaff. Still my favourite to use when a Hali comes up. It’s got some weight behind it when I whack!

I use both. Troller gaff for salmon, small lings, small butts and black cod. I use the hook style for larger lings and butts over 20. The small hook is good for smaller fish and shaking fish as well.

I fish by myself a lot and it's easier to just lower the hook and lift to gaff a fish. I have made several hook gaffs for others and they now swear by them.

It is a fun project to make a gaff for you diy guys.

I second the shrink wrap for handles. I put them on all four of my gaff handles.

Attachments

• 20240103_081252.jpg
    20240103_081252.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I also have this one but it's a bit big for BC unless one is chasing salmon sharks. It's an eight inch aftco fling gaff. Hangs in the man cave. I try not to play with it after 10 beers.

Attachments

• 20240103_092144.jpg
    20240103_092144.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20240103_092120.jpg
    20240103_092120.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 52
I just bought this one and will try it come May 1. Hoping it's better for the lings, as the v type of gaff hook has led to a few strikes bouncing off the thick skulls of bigger lings.

1000015663.jpg

I like the good old solid garden variety wood gaff - really helps dispatching a salmon beside the boat before you gaff it. Some guys (particularly those who worked on trollers) are amazingly lightning fast at dispatching a fish and almost instantly gaffing and hauling it over the gunnel. Having a gaff with some weight to it really helps. Guy in this video isn't nearly as fast as few guides I know who are gaffing artists.

Last edited:
I made a couple of these early last year after a trip to Hawaii. They are exactly 133cm long. My buddy uses his for hali instead of harpoons. Wide enough to get past the head and deep enough to penetrate all the way through the fattys. He says the fish just give up after he sticks em. Haha.

Attachments

• IMG_2060.jpeg
    IMG_2060.jpeg
    645.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2061.jpeg
    IMG_2061.jpeg
    733.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2052.jpeg
    IMG_2052.jpeg
    527.3 KB · Views: 83
Back