SFBC Forum Members Derby 2014

Hey, Owen... I'm reminded of the old adage: "You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."
You and your crew have done a great job for the first time out. Congratulations!

I think this was a great Idea! Enhancement projects everywhere are in need of resources. Who better to kick a bunch of that in, than us who reap the benefits. What better way than to tap into a broad range of anglers than to put a little fun competition before us. Sure this year it is Little River. Next year it will be somewhere else. Each project benefiting from the involvement of anglers all over the province,Country for that matter. Only requirement is that you are a member of sfbc or the emediate family of one.. It also, as by design eliminates putting a bunch of pressure on any one spot.Yet has the potential to see far more participants than if held in one location.

Who cares if the recording and documenting is not being done at one location on the same scale. Who cares if my location is not as known for big fish as others . Non of that matters. Who cares if you don't win . It is a 25 buck donation to a worthy cause that we all benefit from in one way or another. Through some creative thinking and some volunteer effort this donation adds a little more to our time on the water in the form of anticipation and competition. Why not sign up. Take the kids,the friends and family out as you always do. See how many of them you can get to join the derby and have fun. If in Sept you end up having a winning fish then whoo Hooo !! Bonus for you. If you are able to attend the wrap up gathering then at worst you will meet some fellow anglers and forum members. At best you might win a nice prize. Either way the season is still the same except now there is a little more fun to heat up the anticipation every time a rod pops. The best part is at the end another hatchery or enhancement project of some kind will get a few much needed dollars and it will have cost each of us very little.

Anyway I like it and I will be signing up. I hope you do too.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are going to be some small changes to the verification process that will be posted shortly. This is to make it easier on people when recording and entering their fish. If you have any questions or ideas feel free to email sfbcderby2014@gmail.com

Changes are in RED

How To Enter Your Catch

• Please include name of fishermen, date, location, and necessary verification outlined in the rules.

Rules

• Possible derby winners (Large Fish) will have to be verified and weighed in at a lodge, marina, fishing store or another derby the same day as being caught and be documented by the lodge, marina, fishing store or derby hosts in writing as well as photos. It will be up to entrant to obtain necessary verification

• Other entries will be verified by single photo. These fish are entered for hidden weight prizes so the verification is much easier.

I would be more than happy to weigh in and verify any fish in the Port Hardy area. I will have a scale on the dock at the QuarterDeck Marina where I keep my charter boats. Take a left right at the bottom of the ramp, can't miss my boats, all deck out in company name and logo's

Cheers,

wade

Hello Owen
Just checking on how we will know when you receive our registrations. I'm sure you have a ton of people to email back. Just wondering if I should be look for a SFBC pm or in our email.
Thanks
Angus.

When the registration is received you will receive an email confirming your entry from the sfbcderby2014@gmail.com account.

Please view the email when received ..... If I need more information the email will state what is required.

I am still looking for volunteers for September 27th at Bowen Park, and I still need people to talk to their local sporting goods shops and businesses about donating prizes to this derby. Maybe there's some guides or lodges owners here on SFBC that would like to donate a short fishing trip :) This would be a great way to learn from a pro and fish some other waters around BC. If you would like a copy of the donation request form to give to some businesses I can email you a copy.

We have received some great donations so far.... http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?26786-Donated-Prizes-and-Recognition

Hey Owen looks like it should be a good derby! Going towards a great cause. By the sounds of things there's going to be some awesome prizes to. I'm in and will be sending my entry fee in early next week.

11 more weeks to sign up and take part in the SFBC Salmon Derby 2014 this summer ..... :) http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?26747-SFBC-Derby-2014

Been getting some awesome prizes donated the last couple weeks. http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?26786-Donated-Prizes-and-Recognition

Keep the entrees and donations coming in.......

I've noticed several add banners in the sponsor section of the SFBC Derby and it does not list a specific contribution. Details? What are those companies putting forth? Peetz for a recent example...

As the packages are received that info will be update. The folks at Peetz just emailed me this morning and offered to put a package together for the derby. Very kind of them.

CV Marine just donated 2X$100 gift certificates for their store. Which is awesome....

Many more still to come......

FB I have not got your entry yet. :)

FA, any thoughts on setting up a PayPal account for ease of payment? I realize they may charge a fee but I'd pay a little extra to save a trip to the bank for a money order. I don't have cheques. Just a thought, either way I'll be in for a good cause.

It was talked about... But it was just more to do when I really didn't have a committee or a group of volunteers to get it all done. If you want to make a E transfer to me as some others have done already we can make arrangements but please contact me directly before doing so. Most banks allow a few free ones a month.

I felt renting a PO box was going to be ok and so far it's been working just fine.

If anyone wants to volunteer their time, or discuss becoming a hub to collect entrees please PM me or email me at sfbcderby2014@gmail.com to discuss.

Thanks,

Unfortunately, my Credit Union doesn't do e-tranfers but great idea for others. No big deal, I'll get something out to you.

My credit union will print two free checks or I can buy 10 for $3 so that is cheaper than the money order.

I think you've created a monster with this Owen and friends...The support on the sponsorship thread is getting out of hand. Bang up job mates!

And yes...my entry is now in! lol Cheers!

Can someone please inform me of when the cut-off for registration is?

My friend and I are just getting a boat ready for the season and would like to register once we ensure the thing floats.....

Also - thanks to all of the organizer for putting their time in to organizing this derby.

Cheers.

Can someone please inform me of when the cut-off for registration is?

My friend and I are just getting a boat ready for the season and would like to register once we ensure the thing floats.....

Also - thanks to all of the organizer for putting their time in to organizing this derby.

Cheers.

Entries Must be postmarked no later then June 1st even though the derby starts May 1st. But why wait, enter now :)
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?26747-SFBC-Derby-2014

Thanks for the support guys,

Back