SFBC Braggarts Fishing Derby

Ok, all 100% of regular ticket sales is going to the Southern Vancouver Island Anglers Coalition to help them help us! The coalition needs funds if they are going to be successful at fighting for the recreational fishery and our fish. I do have receipts for my out of pocket costs which I will recover but that is it. 100% of the side bet ticket revenues go to the winners of each side bet. There will be a 50/50 draw at Pedder Bay and those proceeds will go to the Charters River side channel project that will begin and finish this summer. A $60,000 improvement to Coho, Chum and Stealhead over winter and over summer habitat. This is money that will do immediate work to create more fish. Also the food services are being handled by the Charters River group (JDFSRS) and those funds are going to the same cause. The Sooke Food Bank will have a tote on site at Pedder Bay and any donated fish give you a chance at a nice prize in a separate draw. We also get a portion of proceeds of all T-Shirts being made and sold at Pedder Bay Marina all weekend. Sales, that is heading to the SVIAC.
IMPORTANT...there is only one more opportunity left to purchase side bet tickets. They will be available at Wise Buys on June 14th (the night before the derby) from 5-7pm at Wise Buy's in Colwood. I would like to make those tickets available at the vendors but it wouldn't be fair to them. They are trying to run a business and just one type of a ticket is already infringing on their time. I've already put in 6 hours selling tickets at Buffy's and the 6 Mile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those of you who aren't already signed up as a member of the Southern Vancouver Island Anglers Coalition should ask the derby ticket vendors to sign you up as a member before you buy your tickets. I know Wise Buys and Island Outfitters are both selling coalition memberships in the stores. The membership costs you $40.00 and with this membership you will save $20 on the price of each derby ticket. If you buy 2 tickets you break even, 3 or more and you come out ahead. More importantly you are supporting an organization dedicated to restoring fish populations and your access to those thriving fisheries.

Here is a list of the prizes and generous sponsors who have supported the derby to date. There will be more to come in the weeks leading up to the derby weekend. I think for this derbies 1st year I have been fortunate to have had such a great response from local merchants and individuals. It is now up to you guys to spread the word to your fellow anglers who don"t frequent this board and make this a very well attended event. The organizers promise to make this a fun weekend regardless if you win a prize or not. I want to stress the most important part of this effort for me are the important and badly needed donations to the causes we are supporting. This is what I stressed to our sponsors and is the single reason they were all so generous in their support of this derby!!!!

Prize Value Courtesy Of
SportFishing BC Banana Challenge Trophies priceless Perma Construction & Envision 3D Studios
2- Brodie Mountain Bikes (2 prizes) $1,400.00 Advance Collision, Marty's Mountain Cycle & Brodie Bikes
1 Night Stay & Full Day Fishing Port Renfrew $1,400.00 HindSight Fishing Charters (Valid for June 2014)
2 Scotty High Speed Downriggers $1,200.00 Perma Construction & Scotty
Complete Anchoring System $700.00 Canpro Construction
2 Months Storage in 2 full size lockers $672.00 U Pak Mobile Storage
includes pickup and delivery
Custom Salmon Rod & Mooching Reel $600.00 Wise Buys
6 Month Inside Page Banner Ad $600.00 SportFishing BC.com
Bradley 6 Tray Digital Smoker $550.00 Island Outfitters
Islander MR3 Reel $550.00 Islander
Kohler Toilet & Install $550.00 Cairn View Mechanical
1 Night Stay At Sooke Harbour Resort & $550.00 Sooke Harbour Resort & Sooke Harbour House
Dinner for 4
6 Hour Sooke Salmon Charter $550.00 Sooke Salmon Charters Ltd
Trophy 10'6" Titan Rod & Trophy Tyee Reel $500.00 Trotac marine
Asus 55 Series Notebook $500.00 Gizmo's Computers
Scotty Long Arm Electric Downrigger $475.00 Esquimalt Auto parts
Scotty Prawn Trap Puller $450.00 Special T Events &
2X2 Adult Whale Watching Passes $420.00 Spring Tide Whale Watching
4X $100 Forsch Marine Vouchers $400.00 Forsch Marine
4X Stormtech Home Lumber Jackets $400.00 Home Lumber
2 X $200 Auto Service Vouchers $400.00 Volvo Of Victoria
Assorted tackle $400.00 Oki Tackle
Assorted Tackle $400.00 Hot Spot Lures
Assorted tackle $400.00 Rhys Davis Ltd
Assorted Tackle $400.00 Krippled Lures
Talora Halibut Rod & Tyrnos 16 Reel $350.00 West Coast Collision
4 Cordova Bay Golf Passes $328.00 Home Lumber
Yamaha Jacket & Vest $300.00 SG Power Products
1 Night Stay Prestige Best Western $250.00 Prestige Best Western Hotel
Shimano 9Ft TDR & GT4000 , line,flasher & Hootchy $233.00 Eagle Eye Sooke
6 X 2/12 lb Fire Extinguishers $220.00 Fire Safe
Trotac Gift Certificate $200.00 Belmont Collision
2 Night Off Season Accommodations $200.00 Seascape Inn
2 X $100 Service Certificate $200.00 Island Hoghway Automotive
2- Single Day Mid- Sized Car Rentals $200.00 Budget Rent A Car of Victoria
2 Zip Line Passes $180.00 Adrena Line
Pair Of Muck Boots $175.00 Burnsy22
100 Quart Marine Cooler $170.00 Seapro Distributors
2 X Bauer Prawn Traps $160.00 Aquamarine
2 Heavy Duty Sport Chairs $160.00 Capital Iron
2X Mt Washington Lift Passes $140.00 Mt Washington Alpine Resort
Satndard Horizon GSX 1150S VHF Radio $129.00 Silver Streak Boats
2 X Combo Crab/Prawn Traps $120.00 Sherwood Marine Centre
Victoria Plating Voucher $100.00 Victoria Plating
5X $20.00 Vouchers $100.00 Great Canadian Oil Change
Shimano Insulated Tackle Box & Berkley Tools $100.00 West Marine
Marine Battery $100.00 Beacon Auto Parts
Marine Battery $100.00 Burt's Automotive
Pellet Pistol $100.00 Leier Construction
Shimano GT 4000 $90.00 Innovative 3D Cad Design
Home Room Painting Kit $90.00 Cloverdale Paint
Peetz Halibut Harpoon $90.00 Peetz Manufacturing
Men's Personal Care Gift Basket $90.00 Sidney Shoppers Drug Mart
Heavy Duty Sport Chair $90.00 Marks Work Wear Langford
Oil Change $65.00 Royal Oak Automotive
2 X Mens Hair Cuts $60.00 Fish Salon
Burton 12Volt Travel Stove/fishing rod lighters $50.00 Industrial Plastics & Paint
Boat Cleaning Products $50.00 SG Power Priducts
Plus assorted fishing odds and ends, shirts, hats, and a jacket from Scotty

Very impressive Rollie! Ill be grabbing my tix asap! I know a few more guys who will be in im sure too. Love the fact its a draw system. I feel I have no chance against the pros around here and guys who will be fishing west. Thanks for all the effort!

Bought three tickets for my team today. Can't wait to unload some of those goodies in my driveway...lol Hope to meet a bunch of you in person at this event. Will be camping out at Pedder if the weather isn't too tenting-unfriendly. If a bunch of you stay overnight there too I would expect that could be a fun evening around a campfire...

Got our tickets today, excited that even us newer fishers, who can catch them but maybe not the biggest, have a shot at that amazing prize list! Looking forward to taking my 7 year old son fishing on fathers day!

Tix bought on Friday! Nice list and thanks to all the leg work to all involved in getting that prize list looking so good!

Y.w. :)))))

Here is a list of the prizes and generous sponsors who have supported the derby to date. There will be more to come in the weeks leading up to the derby weekend. I think for this derbies 1st year I have been fortunate to have had such a great response from local merchants and individuals. It is now up to you guys to spread the word to your fellow anglers who don"t frequent this board and make this a very well attended event. The organizers promise to make this a fun weekend regardless if you win a prize or not. I want to stress the most important part of this effort for me are the important and badly needed donations to the causes we are supporting. This is what I stressed to our sponsors and is the single reason they were all so generous in their support of this derby!!!!

Prize Value Courtesy Of
SportFishing BC Banana Challenge Trophies priceless Perma Construction & Envision 3D Studios
2- Brodie Mountain Bikes (2 prizes) $1,400.00 Advance Collision, Marty's Mountain Cycle & Brodie Bikes
2 Scotty High Speed Downriggers $1,200.00 Perma Construction & Scotty
Night Stay & Day Fishing in Port Renfrew $1,200.00 Hind Sight Fishing Charters
Complete Anchoring System $700.00 Canpro Construction
2 Months Storage in 2 full size lockers $672.00 U Pak Mobile Storage
includes pickup and delivery
Custom Salmon Rod & Mooching Reel $600.00 Wise Buys
Bradley 6 Tray Digital Smoker $550.00 Island Outfitters
Islander MR3 Reel $550.00 Islander
Kohler Toilet & Install $550.00 Cairn View Mechanical
1 Night Stay At Sooke Harbour Resort & $550.00 Sooke Harbour Resort & Sooke Harbour House
Dinner for 4
6 Hour Sooke Salmon Charter $550.00 Sooke Salmon Charters Ltd
Trophy 10'6" Titan Rod & Trophy Tyee Reel $500.00 Trotac marine
Asus 55 Series Notebook $500.00 Gizmo's Computers
Scotty Long Arm Electric Downrigger $475.00 Esquimalt Auto parts
Scotty Prawn Trap Puller $450.00 Special T Events &
2X2 Adult Whale Watching Passes $420.00 Spring Tide Whale Watching
4X $100 Forsch Marine Vouchers $400.00 Forsch Marine
4X Stormtech Home Lumber Jackets $400.00 Home Lumber
2 X $200 Auto Service Vouchers $400.00 Volvo Of Victoria
Assorted tackle $400.00 Oki Tackle
Assorted Tackle $400.00 Hot Spot Lures
Assorted tackle $400.00 Rhys Davis Ltd
Assorted Tackle $400.00 Krippled Lures
Talora Halibut Rod & Tyrnos 16 Reel $350.00 West Coast Collision
4 Cordova Bay Golf Passes $328.00 Home Lumber
Yamaha Jacket & Vest $300.00 SG Power Products
1 Night Stay Prestige Best Western $250.00 Prestige Best Western Hotel
6 X 2/12 lb Fire Extinguishers $220.00 Fire Safe
Trotac Gift Certificate $200.00 Belmont Collision
2 Night Off Season Accommodations $200.00 Seascape Inn
2- Single Day Mid- Sized Car Rentals $200.00 Budget Rent A Car of Victoria
2 Zip Line Passes $180.00 Adrena Line
Pair Of Muck Boots $175.00 Burnsy22
100 Quart Marine Cooler $170.00 Seapro Distributors
2 X Bauer Prawn Traps $160.00 Aquamarine
2 Heavy Duty Sport Chairs $160.00 Capital Iron
2 X Combo Crab/Prawn Traps $120.00 Sherwood Marine Centre
Victoria Plating Voucher $100.00 Victoria Plating
5X $20.00 Vouchers $100.00 Great Canadian Oil Change
Shimano Insulated Tackle Box & Berkley Tools $100.00 West Marine
Marine Battery $100.00 Beacon Auto Parts
Marine Battery $100.00 Burt's Automotive
Pellet Pistol $100.00 Leier Construction
Home Room Painting Kit $90.00 Cloverdale Paint
Peetz Halibut Harpoon $90.00 Peetz Manufacturing
Men's Personal Care Gift Basket $90.00 Sidney Shoppers Drug Mart
Heavy Duty Sport Chair $90.00 Marks Work Wear Langford
Oil Change $65.00 Royal Oak Automotive
Burton 12Volt Travel Stove/fishing rod lighters $50.00 Industrial Plastics & Paint
Boat Cleaning Products $50.00 SG Power Priducts
Plus assorted fishing odds and ends, shirts, hats, and a jacket from Scotty

Very impressive list of prizes, and proceeds go to great causes, I will be buying tickets for sure!

opps...and I thought I got everyone....even pulled the pile of prizes apart to make sure I got them all....figures I would miss yours :( sorry about that will edit it now

added!!`;)

Lets just say I'm hoping that the trend for all derbies holds true and most sell in the last 2 weeks. Makes for a huge headache not being able to plan ahead. I'll be running out of time to give to this once we get into June as I'll be fishing most days. That sucks because I have a bit of time now but can't make final decisions based on the count now.

Lets just say I'm hoping that the trend for all derbies holds true and most sell in the last 2 weeks. Makes for a huge headache not being able to plan ahead. I'll be running out of time to give to this once we get into June as I'll be fishing most days. That sucks because I have a bit of time now but can't make final decisions based on the count now.
always a problem Rollie..that is why we tried introducing an early bird incentive price along with prize draw. Usually that at least reels in 1/2 of them, but even then its very difficult with last minute ticket scrambles (brutal for trying to tell the kitchen how many people are coming!)4. Case in point is our early bird runs out end of the week, yet only about 80 confirmed out of the average 250 we get. In this case, that is good though as food costs are hurting this year and regular pricing will serve us much better!

Just to be clear on draws and such. Each ticket holder may enter 1 legal salmon and 1 legal halibut per day. So best case scenario would be 4 total entries into the regular draw for prizes. If you enter one of the larger fish you may win the trophies and or the side bet money. You may also choose to donate a portion of your catch to the Sooke Food Bank for a chance at that draw prize. If you are a junior angler (under 16) you may enter your fish into both the regular draw and the junior draws. Limit is one prize per derby ticket.
There will be hidden weight prizes and the weights used will be realistic to the size of fish that may be legally retained in all the derby open areas. In other words they will be smaller than larger. There is also a prize for the most confirmed seal encounters...bring your proof to the scale. I'm sure there will be a few more surprise categories as well added in to make this a fun day.

So besides the trophy there is no separate prizes for a Hali vs salmon?

Will there be a salmon and Hali hidden weight or just a fish hidden weight where a salmon or Hali could win? Will it be hidden weight for the weekend or one for fish weighed day one and another for fish weighed day two?

Just thinking ahead about what the best game plan will be looks like a multi species weekend. Might fish hard Saturday then take my three year old out late morning on Father's Day for a short fish and hang at the weigh in.

Does Jr. Need to reel in the fish to enter that draw category or just being out participating is good enough if she can pick the lucky lure for Dad? I'd feel bad winning a youth bike for my toddler - but it would pass. Lol

I might have to tell the wife to move Father's Day up to this weekend - I want to fish the derby but don't want to miss out on my day either. I'm in the buy tickets at the last minute category for sure - Sorry!

I mentioned before but if this is an annual event consider restricting to the slot limit area I think the winning fish is going to be bonked in the slot area (where 80-90% of entrants will be fishing) and the winner will tell ya he was fishing beyond sherringham. Extra incentive to cheat with not only that epic trophy but also lots of money if you have the side bet tickets.

People will always cheat on their own you can't stop that but by allowing over slot wilds to be weighed in, qualify for draw prizes etc. there is extra incentive to cheat. Think about it keeping an over the slot fish on the weekend is probably a good gamble if you take ethics out of it. I bet your chances at winning a pair of new electrics is higher then your chances of getting a ticket.

You almost need to say a photo of a wild released fish gets you a draw ticket too (assuming no other salmon weighed in by that ticket holder) because if Joe Smoe has not caught a fish then Sunday at 11am tags a nice wild in the slot area he will want to keep it just for a shot at a prize. At least if he can take a photo and release he gets to follow the regs and have a chance to win the same stuff guys who caught legal fish can win. At 1st I thought separate prize category for a wild released but maybe just a draw ticket like any other salmon weighed in would be better - then all you miss out on is a hidden weight opportunity.

Not sure how the released fish will do after Joe cuts a slab of meat off it for the food bank draw... But a release is a release right?

All derbies rely on some form of integrity and honesty as you can't patrol everywhere. The rules are set, not changing anything further. If junior has a ticket he can enter a fish whether he lands it himself or with some help. Hidden weights for both salmon and halibut each day, so a total of 4 hidden weight prizes. There will be a released fish/photo prize as well. We will announce on Friday night around 8pm what you have to include in the foreground of your pic. Everyone will already have it so no need to go buy it. I think the boats will still be spread out quite a bit, as this is both salmon and halibut and even Port Renfrew is open. Not everyone will be sitting at Sheringham. Wild salmon side bet tickets holders will be up west for sure but the hatchery salmon side bet is as likely to be won from Constance Bank as anywhere.
If the whales blow through Sat or Sun like they have in past JDF derbies....you have a few more options with this format. Switch to halibut or run to Constance and still feel you are fishing with a chance at landing something and winning a prize.

Sounds good! I think I mentioned my suggestion of slot size is only if this event becomes an annual event (IE for next year). Who knows like you said before maybe just maybe we will go to one over one under before then I think we got that last season mid June.

I do like the format leaves everyone with lots of options on how they want to fish. Makes the focus more on fun then big fish.

Anyone know if there is ample dock space at pedder for boats to pull in to weigh their fish and to stay for the round up? I won't have a slip there and deffinetly don't want to pull my boat at esq anglers and then drive to pedder.

Call Martin at Pedder Bay and explain what you hope to do. I'm sure he will accommodate you if he can. Making this a little less about big fish has gone over big with the sponsors. They like that their prizes can be won by anyone, not just the top rods.

Can you post ticket prices again please. Can't seem to find in this long thread or on the derby link above.
Also are side bet tix per angler or per boat?
Trophy to largest salmon only regardless of wild or hatch?

Trophies are for the largest legal salmon and halibut period. Side bet tickets are per person, you can buy one, two or all three. (largest wild. largest hatchery salmon and largest halibut) Side bet tickets are $50 each (no discounts available on side bet tickets) and will be sold on June 14th at Wise Buys from 5-7pm.
If you are a SVIAC member with your card or temporary card or a member on this site you get a $20.00 discount on each regular ticket bought. Regular prices are $100 for a single ticket...$80.00 each for a pair, and $60.00 for three or more. Take $20 off each ticket with your discount. If you are buying for friends who aren't members (but you are) we will let you have all at the discounted price but we encourage you to get your buddies to join the SVIAC at the closing ceremonies at Pedder Bay.

Back