SFBC Braggarts Fishing Derby

While the dance on Saturday night is no longer an official derby function we will have a donation box and some info on the Charters River side channel project. We will be encouraging folks to donate a few bucks to this worthwhile project. This work will be started and completed this summer so the effects will be immediate and long lasting. Hope to see many of you there for a fun night. Here are a couple of links. The first is the Hermann's Jazz Bar calender with a link if you click on "Consenting Adults" in the Saturday night lineup. this will give you a description of the band as seen from Hermann's perspective.
http://www.hermannsjazz.com/pages/calendar.cfm

This one is a youtube video clip of the band a few years back during their frequent appearances as headliners at the Esquimalt Buccaneer Days dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caCnnpWLxCs

Just a quick update before heading downtown for dinner. Chris Bos will be at the dance tonight and it would be a great opportunity to chat and see what SVIAC has been up to, where we they are going and find out the latest gossip on the area 19/20 regulations. Chat to him before he has a few drinks and the accuracy goes all to hell. LOL Here is a picture of just a small portion of the prizes I have gathered so far. I have picked up many more since I shot this and I will take another on towards the end of the month when I'm closer to been finished with that job. Over $15,000 in donated prizes so far.

Ha Ha I knew someone would try and get that included. I'm working on adding one maybe two Brodie bikes next week. Will get one for sure as the junior (under 16) draw prize. It could turn out that I get a pair of them with some luck. After that I'm working on a Bradley Smoker. I'm also sitting on a nice pile of envelopes that have some great prizes inside as well. Not a Sea Sport but nice!!! Maybe when I retire that is how I will get rid of it!! LOL

How did the SFBC Banana Derby social go at Hermann's Jazz Club last night Rollie?

Unfortunately, I had a pre-planned familly thing going on last night.

We had fun, but only a handful from here showed up. Had we known that the band would have invited more of their friends to fill the room. We had 60 people there at the peak of the night, the room holds 130. Most of the people there were my friends, Bill's friends (lead guitar) and Hermann's walk in customers. Christoph and his wife were there and were introduced to a German couple who were travelling through Victoria. Was funny as they handed me American cash at the door so I asked if they were American and was told, no from Germany. They had just come up from San Francisco. So I said there is someone you have to meet inside. Kinda funny how things work out.

Had a wicked hangover this morning lol! Was well worth it though! Thanks for organizing this Rollie, it was good fun! Too bad so few here made it. The band was awesome and we enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. Hope the pub made enough to made it worthwhile for them and the band. I certainly contributed my share...lol

I crawled into bed at 4am. Helped Bill pack up his gear, then back to his place and helped off load into the garage. Then had a couple of drinks before catching a cab home.

Would like to have made it but was up Island for a Ducks Unlimited fund raiser dinner and auction. I am always impressed with how well organized and run their events are. What a great cash generating machine for Habitat restoration.

We can learn a lot from that fund raising model for Salmon.

sorry to here that Dave.... You know we are in same boat when it comes to that stuff...Anyhow sounds like fun with the event sounds like missed out...BTW Dave you better go to the derby...

yeah, wish I could say it gets easier :(
as for derby, yep, I'm in - I'll even take side bet if he does the hatchery angle. I'm not interested in 'largest fish' where the advantage goes to the bigger boats that can head west though.

Dave, there will be a side bet ticket for the largest hatchery salmon. So the guys fishing Victoria or Sooke up to Sheringham can buy that one and not worry about what they are catching out west. I'm happy you raised the issue because in hindsight adding this category makes a lot of sense. Could have been the solution for the JDF as well. Open it up to Renfrew and have 2 winning categories instead of one. Then you don't have to worry about what the regs might be.

I'm always thinking of ways to get more prizes on the derby table. The next on the wish list is a decent set of golf clubs. Was thinking that if many of the guys on here from out of town who can't make the derby this year would toss in $20 towards this, it wouldn't take long to make it happen. This could be SFBC members only draw prize.

Just confirmed that with some generous help from Advance Collision, Marty's Mountain Cycle and Brodie Bikes we will have not 1 but 2 Brodie Bikes to give away to junior anglers who land a fish and then get their names drawn. So take the kids out fishing on Father's Day weekend! These bikes retail for $1400 for the pair!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I mentioned this already but a quick check of previous posts and I see I haven't. Kelly (Lastchance) of Gizmos Computers has also stepped up and donated a Asus 55 series laptop to the prize table. Another generous donation and a great prize for someone to win.

have a few more of the prizes in my hands so I thought I would post a couple more photos of what will be up for grabs. Still have lots more to collect. I won't bother with any more pictures as it is a bit of a pain hauling this out and back and I couldn't get much more in a picture anyway.

Also just a reminder that SIDE BET tickets will be sold on Tuesday May 21st from 7-9pm at Buffy's Pub in Sooke. Then again on Wednesday May 22nd from 5-9pm at the 6 Mile Pub. Final sales of Side Bet tickets will be on June 14th form 5-7 pm at Wise Buys. Regular derby tickets will also be available on all the dates listed. Cash only for SIDE BET tickets. We will process VISA or MasterCard for regular tickets only.
SIDE Bet tickets available at $50 each - Largest Hatchery Salmon - Largest Wild Salmon - Largest Halibut

Buy the tickets that suit the area you will be fishing. If you will be fishing Port Renfrew buy the halibut and wild salmon tickets. If you are fishing Constance Bank or Sooke waters east of Sheringham Pt buy the hatchery salmon and halibut tickets. Al waters of areas 18, 19 &20 are open.

The pile keeps getting bigger and still 3 weeks to go!!!

Bring the kids at a chance for 2 of these great Brodie bikes, courtesy Advance Collision, Marty's Mountain Cycle and Brodie Bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a nice pile wow....Great work Rollie. Sending you a PM, I procured a prize for the derby as well.

Rollie, any way of buying into the side bets if you can't make it to those places at those specified times?

Back