Scuppers one way rubber flaps

Greg, did you order those Perko flappers directly from GW? If so, do you just phone direct or order on line?

Sorry Gord, been away from site for a bit- GW won't sell parts directly as far as my experience goes and thats because Grady expects GW dealerships to take care of that service (Eg. GW passed me on to TH Marine for ordering the seacock control arms/rods only because I had difficulty with the GW dealer here ordering the arms for me ) Most of the parts/ hardware/ add ons on a GW are not manufactured by GW as you probably know. TH Marine supplies GW in NC with the control arms for the 228 and getting parts like this from TH Marine is likely way cheaper than going through a GW dealer anyway. I just got the TH rods/arms via my local marine shop ( Martin Marine) who got them supplied via Western Marine Wholesale - Western Marine, not to be confused with West Marine as they are very different. West Marine and Western Marine can both supply TH Marine products but often there can be a minimum number of each piece required when going the West Marine route. You can only buy direct from Western Marine Ltd if you are a company that has gone through the application process and are approved to buy wholesale from them.

TH Marine makes a scupper flapper (kit) which will fit the 228 HOWEVER when I talked to Grady customer service they explained to me that Perko is the type they use on the 228 and offered to send me some to try out N/C instead of buying the TH product. I never bothered ordering the TH Marine flappers since the Perko ones GW sent me did arrive and look ok. The Perko rubber flapper may not last as long as the rubber apparently will curl with age and leak whereas the TH Marine ones apparently don't curl because they are made of a synthetic material.

GW uses several Perko products ( eg. nav lights ) on their boats - Intersting however is that the Perko flappers they sent me don't seem to be anywhere on the Perko website .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Greg. I see West Marine lists that scupper repair kit. I'm going to order it and give it a try.

Hey Gord I ordered that kit from westmarine. It took about a week to bring it in and it worked good. I havent put the boat in the water but the size of the flapper is a better fit than the perkos that were on from factory. The only downside is the kit has 6 flaps in it and you can only use two of them. I got lucky and there was a third flapper in the package that fit so I was able to change all three on the stern of the boat.
Scott

Got same exact issue with my Grady. Giving up on those flappers and going with the ball valve style. I had them on my last boat and they were bullet proof.

Got same exact issue with my Grady. Giving up on those flappers and going with the ball valve style. I had them on my last boat and they were bullet proof.

X2 I have gone the same route with my Grady and I'm very happy also....... :)

Ok Derby lets get this right, you used to be a moocher and now you are a sports dragger, you used to own a tinner and now you own a grady we are going to have to have a chat when you come down to Sooke for hockey :)

I have seen the light and have come from the Dark side......Darth :)

Searun thx, yeah I may eventually do this as it seems most guys eventually go to the ping pong style. Thats saying and proves alot for sure however it seems on the 228G that going that route would involve a much longer and more complicated replacement. It seems to me that with the Grady bronze thru hull that you'd have to re & re the original thru hull with a new thru hull/ping pong style scupper asssembly ( correct me if I have this wrong) . I am not sure there is a way to attach that ping pong assembly to the outside of the present original bronze thru hull ?

Here are photos of the two types that may help my explanation - you can see that the ping pong assembly is screwed onto ouside of scupper thru hull ( 4 screw holes around the ring). Simple job to replace but with the bronze Grady thru hull/scupper (that is also shown) you can see there is no way to attach the 4 screws to outside of that thru hull/scupper

Grady 228G bronz scupper/thru hull with rubber flapper inset:
IMG_0369%20228%20scupper.jpg

Sea Choice Ping Pong scupper attaches to outside of platic thu hull scuppers with 4 screw retaining ring:
50-18281.jpg

4 screw retainer ring type scupper with rubber flapper ( can be replaced easily with the Ping Pong scupper assembly shown above):
1143876c_2.jpg

One big advantage of replacing with rubber flappers ( IF THEY WORK !) is they can be replaced in 5 min. all while the boat sits in the lift for 10 min. ( half lift charge only - back in the water in 15 min!!)

I replaced the rubber flapper scuppers on by B/W last year with the ball type and they worked perfectly. Fortunately, on my B/W it was just a matter of taking the old one's off and installing the new one's no new holes to drill about a 10 minute job. Here are a couple of pictures.

Attachments

• 100_0779.jpg
    100_0779.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 346
  • 100_0783.jpg
    100_0783.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 297
Like the look of that skupper AIK, where did you find that unit?

Hey Pea Head - I see the issue you are facing. Got 2 of those units also. :eek: Don't think there is any way around just replacing it with rubber insert. I also have 3 of the standard units on transom, so will go with ping pong ball one's there and just replace rubber flapper. It would be a major job to re & re the s/s units we have...although, may be worth it to fix the problem with the GW 225. My buddy has same boat and back feed of water when you get everyone on one side is an issue. I don't experience that because with wider beam (9 feet 10 inches) the boat won't heel over as much. Just thinking out loud, but maybe we can find a ping pong unit that is large enough to go right over top of the s/s ones we have??

Like the look of that skupper AIK, where did you find that unit?

I bought them last year through Amazon. They cost me $10.15 each. Total cost including shipping and pick-up charges at Point Roberts, WA was just under $40. Look for "Flow-Max Ball Scupper", they are still under $11.00 each.

Just thinking out loud, but maybe we can find a ping pong unit that is large enough to go right over top of the s/s ones we have??

Now that would be nice - was just talking to martin marine about this. That would be 12 more screw holes in the transom but hey it would work !

I am still thinking these deck ball scuppers might work well but they are very expensive

http://www.perko.com/catalog/category/underwater_hardware/product/447/

Had my boat hang'in in the lift today for 45 minutes and managed to install the new Perko flappers in all three scuppers, change leg lube on both motors, install new zinc, replace a scupper hose and do a pwr wash .....and she was back in the water - the bad news is the flappers do still allow water passage into the hoses to the deck. - less and less quickly but it doesn't completely stop it . I had the drain hose of the live well off the tank and lowered the tank end into the bildge and water came through the hose and the new flapper, not pouring in but some coming through.

If anyone sees Ball type scuppper valve that can fit outside and overtop of a Grady /bronze scupper - like Searun described above - please let me know

That deck mounted unit looks promising. I wonder what would be involved to install it. Do you have access plate that can be removed to get you below decks - my Grady has a large floor plate so I would have access that way, but not sure about the 225's. I do think you need a ball valve style to stop that back feed, so if this works there will be a lot of 225 owners who would benefit. I know my buddy who has same boat as you has had the same issues and hasn't found a way to resolve it.

Thanks AIK for tip, will look for them. Those do look more robust than any others I've seen so far.

If you're in Nanaimo, Harbour Chandler had a few different sizes last summer.
They were between $50 & $125. If they're sold, HC can get more in a day or two.
If you're not in Nanaimo, any local chandlery should have access to them.

F D

Hi Peahead how much are the Perko ones ? I couldn't see any prices on the site http://www.perko.com/catalog/categor...e/product/447/ Has anyone esle seen anymore of these style around or on different sites

Hey Paul, your link just goes to a general page. You reffering to these cockpit/ on deck bronze chromed ball valve scuppers/ drains? :

http://www.perko.com/catalog/category/underwater_hardware/product/447/

I saw the price in the Perko Catalogue at Martine Marine and they were about $150 - $200 range each !!!! depending on material you choose

I have the ball type and they work well. Mine are a couple inches above the water line. When i do have lots of weight in the stern and when in bigger seas they will go underwater. If there is any debris in them they will leak water back onto the deck. On those days I put a rubber stopper into each hole on the inboard side to prevent it. If I need to hose off the deck I remove them and then put them back in once the water has drained. Simple fix and cheap.

Back