Watershed Watch Salmon Society From One Fisher to Another

wildmanyeah

Crew Member

Watershed Watch Salmon Society is at Vancouver Island.​

https://www.facebook.com/watershedw...HFdy1mAsLjpgODMrtt5zpoSjlSoZHOc&__tn__=,O,P-R

Chinook PART ONE: “From One Fisher to Another”.
1f3a3.png

“Prized Chinook can now be retained on the East coast of Vancouver Island. I don’t take this opportunity for granted, and I’ve changed how I approach these fish. Data shows unacceptable mortality for ‘catch and release,’ so I'm only fishing openings. We jig instead of troll. It’s a social, effective and active way to fish plus we save gas and the absence of flashers reduces strain. If we’re uncertain the catch is legal it stays in the rubber net, IN THE WATER, while it’s measured. The only time Chinooks come on the boat is when they’re coming home - like the male pictured below.
Today, we saw anglers scratching their heads at the size, and struggling with species identification while fish lay on the deck. Those salmon will never make it to their spawning grounds. Back at the marina, clearly undersized specimens were stashed in coolers. I can’t remember the last time I saw Fisheries and Oceans Canada on the river or patrolling the waves.
However, we also saw families fishing together and friends enjoying each other’s company. A humpback whale pushed its way up onto the shoal to bubble net and feed. Everyone made space. A family of harbour porpoises pursued herring and pinks.
I’ll keep this day's memories with me as our team works together finding new ways to fish smarter.” - Dave, Watershed Watch Campaign Manager
1f41f.png

#chinooksalmon #fishingbc #fishinginbc #vancouverislandlife
May be an image of 1 person and body of water

7 Comments
3 Shares

Comment

FFS. Another guilt trip article and more lectures. Stand back everyone Watershed Watch has spoken. Don't worry now it is your angling friend.

What a joke this group is and the person that leads them. Surprised Greg didn't write it honestly.

Still crying how there catch and release mortality paper never went anywhere.

Last edited:
they deleted all the comments a bunch of us have posted

Yeah saw it. Think it's time DFO address the elephant in room.

We can all disagree in our working groups but to publicly accuse anglers are poaching on a public platform is not right. Legally it crosses the line.

I think an apology is in order from this group. Shame on Watershed Watch. I think it's disgusting honestly.

Imagine if the sport fish advisory board was able to communicate with DFO like the tooth fairy! Make it up as you go along!

Pretty much. The fact remains this group never is held accountable,and that remains a serious problem. They tend to think they are above anyone, and can just say or do what they want. That doesn't sit well with people.

This group has lost it's way from years ago from the original purpose as you know. It's truly sad.

More questions need to be asked of government what the MCC Caucus really represent. No one can answer that for some reason.

Pretty much. The fact remains this group never is held accountable,and that remains a serious problem. They tend to think they are above anyone, and can just say or do what they want. That doesn't sit well with people.

This group has lost it's way from years ago from the original purpose as you know. It's truly sad.

More questions need to be asked of government what the MCC Caucus really represent. No one can answer that for some reason.
Why is this group not held to the same rules as the SFAB?

yeah i dont get why they seem to be able to lobby and collect money from the government but they seem to get away with it

It was not clear, but here for what it's worth is the link to the mainboard of the SFAB and groups represented based on the TOR.

How is this relevent to discussion? Talking about Watershed not SFAB. Don't know how SFAB is dragged into Watershed article. So what your posting TOR to imply what?

You environmental guys that lurk on here are hilarious.

How is this relevent to discussion? Talking about Watershed not SFAB. Don't know how SFAB is dragged into Watershed article. So what your posting TOR to imply what?

You environmental guys that lurk on here are hilarious.
it seemed me there is some confusion about the MCC/SFAB (based on what I found to be a confusing comment about the BCWF) and it would be helpful for clarity of the thread...that is it.

Now are far as your comment about being an "environmental guy that lurks" I will have to admit I am both a long term angler (and hunter) and conservationist and I would certainly not consider myself a lurker. My angling bio is similar to others in my age bracket where we have witnessed a tremendous decline in a short period of time in our life time and so if that makes me an "environmental guy" so be it.

tremendous decline in a short period of time

generally it seems there was high ocean survivals in the 1990s and then declined basically to now (lots seem to remeber this period in the 1990s).

Though its not all bad news out there ECVI chinook seem to be doing okay. It looks like some sockeye runs this year are seeing record returns. Columbia river sockeye highest return on record, Port alberni looks like the sockeye return could be close to a million. Skeena sockeye is way above forecast and now IN season predicted to be 3 million if not more. Summer run fraser river chinook are seeing huge returns above 100k when the run was down to less then 5k in the 1980s. Fraser early Stuart sockeye are seeing a run size of above 300k this year when some years it was down to 20k.

I guess it all depends where people fish and for what stocks and for how long they have fished them.

it seemed me there is some confusion about the MCC/SFAB (based on what I found to be a confusing comment about the BCWF) and it would be helpful for clarity of the thread...that is it.

Now are far as your comment about being an "environmental guy that lurks" I will have to admit I am both a long term angler (and hunter) and conservationist and I would certainly not consider myself a lurker. My angling bio is similar to others in my age bracket where we have witnessed a tremendous decline in a short period of time in our life time and so if that makes me an "environmental guy" so be it.

Familiar with your posts over years and stand by what I said. We're all conservation guys on here and many of us also part of the early days. We are concerned about the actions of NGO groups right now and relationship with government. That is why we are discussing it here.

Back