Rain Water In The Bilge

Sharphooks

This sounds like a Captain Obvious question, but it’s still got me scratching my head.

Every boat I ever owned collected rainwater in the bilge. That seemed to be part of the rules of engagement with owning a boat. Then my last boat, a 26 foot SeaSport, completely surprised me for the first season of ownership, the surprise being that the bilge stayed 100% dry after even a monsoon extended rain. That was a pleasant surprise. Now all of a sudden that’s changed——one season later, I find the bilge is completely loaded with water after a rain.

So what changed? I still dog down the deck hatches. Hatch combing surfaces are squeaky clean. There is a seal up on the bow beneath the anchor winch that could be doctored up a bit but the manufacturer tells me that any rain or seawater would go into the anchor locker and drain over board.

Any ideas how I can track down where the rain might be now sneaking in where before, it wasn’t?

Thanks for comments on what I might be missing (and saying that, Lord, I hope it’s not a thru-hull fitting and the water has a salty taste...ha ha)

My experience is if any portion of the deck is exposed, rain water will find it's way to the bilge.
If boat is moored the bilge pump should activate and discharge the water ?

you might try a water tracing liquid, mix some in a gallon or so of water and pour a little on an area you suspect may be the source of the leak. Start at the stern and do not progress forward until you are satisfied the area you just checked is not the culprit. Make sure to use a biodegradable and non staining dye and wash down the area you tested with plenty of water after each test.

Rod holders? If you have flush mount holders installed in your gunnels they probably drain into the bilge. Might have had something in them last year?

Sometimes the anchor locker drain gets plugged with muck so it can't drain outboard,the water backs up until it finds a way to the bilge or your V-berth cushions.

Look carefully for dried water marks and steaks everywhere inside bilge and cabin. When water is getting in it will usually leave marks once it dries up. That's how I found my anchor locker was leaking a bit.

All really helpful answer, Gents——the dyed water solution might be a good place to start —-I’ll give that a try...rod holders are those Burnewiin things but they would drain onto the dance floor, not into the bilge so dyed water might cut to the chase...thanks again!

All really helpful answer, Gents——the dyed water solution might be a good place to start —-I’ll give that a try...rod holders are those Burnewiin things but they would drain onto the dance floor, not into the bilge so dyed water might cut to the chase...thanks again!
Are you sure you don’t have water coming in from a under water through hull??? Seen a few boats sink at the dock for that reason, or your drain plug, or drain plug housing ???

My SeaSport was dry as a bone like yours and all of a sudden started getting water in the bilge etc. I finally found out the leak was on the intake pipe of the water tank. Seems it only leaked when the boat was coming up on plane as the filler was at the stern. Maybe worth a look

I had the same issue on my SeaSport. I think it’s the small, round 8” access hatch in the deck above my tank. I’ve replaced it but I haven’t left her in the rain yet to confirm

That circular access hatch should have an O ring, mine does and I also get a small amount of fresh water into my bilge. Perhaps it's here on mine too? Gonna try it next time I'm out...

Back