Watershed Watch Salmon Society From One Fisher to Another

Familiar with your posts over years and stand by what I said. We're all conservation guys on here and many of us also part of the early days. We are concerned about the actions of NGO groups right now and relationship with government. That is why we are discussing it here.
Hi Spring. New poster here. I'm a longtime fisherman, former guide and conservationist as well. Notwithstanding the Watershed Watch post discussed above (which was appalling in many ways) I'm curious about your concerns about NGO's. What are the main concerns that you have with NGO's and are there particular NGO's that you are more concerned about? I'm currently studying Fisheries Management and support a number of NGO's as a volunteer. But I also fish for salmon enthusiastically as I have for more than 50 years, and as my father and grandfather did and I hope future generations will be able to.

One problem I see is there seems to be an inordinate number of NGO's all pushing different agendas and competing for (scarce) resources. I also see problems with megafauna bias and uninformed 'opinion' being presented as fact. That said, I also see some of these problems surfacing with the various lobby groups (including SFAB). I have serious challenges with DFO on a number of fronts. But I also see good work being done by NGO's. Thousands of volunteers and hours committed to stream recovery, monitoring and activism on critical issues for salmon and many other species. Same with other groups (like this one) and even DFO is doing some meaningful work in some areas. Indigenous groups the same. So all that to say from what I've seen so far on balance the NGO's I've encountered are a net positive. I'm interested in your perspective on them and which ones you see as problematic and why?

The Public Fishery Alliance's rebuttal to David Mills posts on recreational fishing release mortalities:

The Public Fishery Alliance's rebuttal to David Mills posts on recreational fishing release mortalities:

Great post.

Back