Sand Lance Spoon

I am going to do a batch of 200 that are dedicated to SFBC members....because I very much respect you guys both for your fishing skills and love for the resource and way of life that it brings.

NO NEED to flood in the 'reserve X amount for me'....no time to deal with a list of sorts. I will think of a way so that anyone interested can get in on the first batch.
Ap

Hopefully this is still true and first dibs go to the guys who followed instructions and are waiting patiently instead of flooding PMs or spamming this thread ;)

Although the 7 page thread is probably good for business. Keep these things hidden for the JDF derby Andrew! Release em after you put the biggest hatch on the scale using your own spoon.

Hopefully this is still true and first dibs go to the guys who followed instructions and are waiting patiently instead of flooding PMs or spamming this thread ;)

Although the 7 page thread is probably good for business. Keep these things hidden for the JDF derby Andrew! Release em after you put the biggest hatch on the scale using your own spoon.

Ha. I do intend to try my best to find that big hatch in the derby....but I wouldn't mind seeing this lure bring in a bunch of nice ones for all to sit alongside mine!! ;)

So, without further ado, I do have some of the first batch ready to hit the salt. Production took a huge leap forward with the addition of press mold that can put all of the different bends into it in one fell swoop. As a result I have about 350 pressed blanks sitting in front of me and about 20 hand pressed, which look almost the same...and the fish haven't minded. The machine pressed ones look a tad more perfect.

Right now the bottleneck is in the polishing. I use a rock polisher which takes about 8 hours for brass and copper and about a day for stainless and can do about 30 at a time. I am going to try and ram some more in.

One thing that I have learned is that PM for this stuff is impossible and even most have followed the original instructions to just simmer....my inbox has been constantly full and kind of tough to manage.

To make it easiest for this batch which is going out to SFBC members, I have set up an email address for easy communication. After this batch we will put them up on sitka.ca online store.

fishing@sitka.ca

The Deal:

Hand Pressed Stainless Steel: $5
Machine Pressed Stainless Steel: $7.50
Machine Pressed Brass: $7.50
Machine Pressed Copper: $7.50

Unless requested before it's all done, I will be sticking glow eyes on all. I'll provide a couple of strips of glow tape that you can choose to put on or not.

Hook Not Included: At this time I am going to sell them without a hook, as I know for certain most of you would swap to what you think would be best. I would really like to know what you guys think for hook size. I am slowly inching towards a 5/0 Mustad Siwash although they have done well between 3/0 and 6/0. At this point they will come with #4 extra strong split rings. Welded rings could be an option going forward if most people agree that the extra cost, which is significant, is worth it.

I live a stones throw from Esquimalt Anglers boat launch so for Vic people come by would work fine. I can mail these things out for $2.50 for anywhere is Canada. Maybe more if it is lots.

So, regardless if you have posted a message in the forum here saying you want some, please send me an email to fishing@sitka.ca. And of course please keep in mind this is not my full time job.

Thanks and Tight Lines!

Andrew

ps. for all you guys on the inside, the first try of the sand lance spoon did very well. I got a text from my dad at about 9am with a picture of a nice looking spring with a spoon in it's mouth that he had just caught on his way home from Cowichan Bay (visiting family) to Pender Harbour. Epsom Pt, Thormanby Island.

IMG_3287.jpg

Those look crazy good Andrew. I would love to get a few for the tackle box. I live over in Abbotsford . If you shoot me contact info I will do whatever is needed to get some if these artistic creations.

Hey Guys,

Craven, thanks for reposting the email address; I'll edit the first post in thread to include it.

I am happy to say that this batch is ready to go, so those who have emailed me, it looks like all of the requests can be filled and they will be hitting the mail over the next couple of days, which my wife is kindly helping out with.

Don't expect much communication from me over the next few days though; I will be out of service off Nootka doing some serious R&D!! ;)

Tight lines!

Hey Andrew....just looked at the domain for your address; I shop at the store!

My house is about 8 blocks down Cypress on the Point. When you're back I can pop up to the store as I will definitely take a few if that works and can save shipping.

Edit....I see you are on the South Island where your original store is. Let me know if you're on this side or we'll figure something out....sending an email.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried a stainless one last night, and although fishing was slow
the needlefish spoon caught a nice low teener which had to be released due to the slot restriction.:(

I tried a stainless one last night, and although fishing was slow
the needlefish spoon caught a nice low teener which had to be released due to the slot restriction.:(

Hey Scott....haven't read the entire thread but I assume you're behind a flasher Given it's size what kind of leader length....same as people normally fish spoons?

I think you could fish it either way Pips, but I fished it behind a flasher on a 40" leader
with a 3/0 VMC Siwash.
Looks real good !

They are available! :D

Email the link provided earlier on in the chat :)

You are as big a tackle ***** as me, Jeffy.

Just got a handful and going to test them out at Thrasher this weekend! Look like serious killers!

I got my test batch and will give them a good washing in the JDF this weekend. Thanks Andrew

Back