Jetski fish or use a boat, ? For a newbie?

Booniefisher

Here is the dilemma. I already have a JetSki set up for fishing but have not gone in the ocean and done it yet. I am an expert Surfer so I am not concerned about the ocean but I have found a really good deal on a 21 foot Seaswirl striper boat, should I just jump into the boat or start with Jetski and make sure I actually enjoy the sport. Appreciate any advice.

Unless you are very mechanically inclined and rich I would stick with the jetski. Find friends with boats and get out and fish with them, it will help you learn to fish on the jet ski. You can also figure out which boat will suit you long term.

Boat fishing allows multiple lines and lures at different depths so will be easier than jet ski fishing. I love the the idea of jet ski fishing but it is likely a lot harder than it looks. @jwood99 is now our resident expert! Check out his clearly coastal YouTube videos

If you don't even know if you like fishing yet, I wouldn't buy anything until you've answered that question. Easiest way to do that in my opinion is to go out on a few charters. Just keep in mind the guide is a pro that probably fishes over 100 days a year. They will make it look easy, but you probably won't be nearly as successful by yourself at first.

Well here’s what got me going in the first place. I did go out on a panga in Panama and it was like the greatest experience ever and made me think. When I retire I want to do this well I’m retired and I’m starting to look into that path, etc..

I still would advise going out with some local guides to fish for the typical species in BC waters and conditions. Get your feet wet before diving in. The charter day rates may look expensive at first but they are actually reasonable when you consider the operating costs and the fact you have a much higher likelihood of actually bringing fish home than you will winging it on your own. And I promise they are cheaper tHan ownkng a boat, especially an inboard.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't buy a boat and don't learn to fish on your own. I've done both. I'm jst saying make sure you like it first, before going all in.

Unless you have another experienced jetski fisherman to go with I’d buy a boat. Catching fish without other knowledge able fishermen is pretty hard. Easier to take a friend who knows how to fish out on a 21 footer than riding …..tch on a jetski.
Inboard 5.0 gxi volvo

I rode a jetski last year on the ocean, and would do it again with fishing lines out. As others have said, learn the basics with good friends and guides, but in terms if investing, I would start with the boat you already have and use the knowledge you have to gain experience first. Be careful of course, pick your days and locations and get the necessary safety gear. It would be a lot of fun on the ski. And yes, check our Clearly Coastal.

There are folks who fish in the salt with a kayak. Including for salmon and ling, which blows my mind. So jetski is certainly doable. But if it was me...I'd get a cheap fishing boat with an outboard to get a taste. Cheaper than your jetski probably. Then you can do downriggers, which is a game changer. We were using a 16' aluminum with a 25HP outboard, for a couple years. It was fine in calm weather, and got the family hooked on fishing. Manual downriggers for the salmon, and we'd drift for bottom fish. For safety and comfort reasons, we decided to move up to a 21' welded aluminum boat that could handle more weather, with a kicker for trolling and backup. Zero regrets.

Unless you are very mechanically inclined and rich I would stick with the jetski. Find friends with boats and get out and fish with them, it will help you learn to fish on the jet ski. You can also figure out which boat will suit you long term.

Boat fishing allows multiple lines and lures at different depths so will be easier than jet ski fishing. I love the the idea of jet ski fishing but it is likely a lot harder than it looks. @jwood99 is now our resident expert! Check out his clearly coastal YouTube videos
The fishing off of a jets definitely isn't easy, after one season I still have a lot to learn, having said that when you do get into some fish its absolutely amazing, a way different feel than in a boat!

Fishing off a Sea Doo is a ton of fun, but not sure it is the best place to learn. Getting setup to use a downrigger is a custom job also.

Attachments

• Anson on the Water.jpg
    Anson on the Water.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 13
Back