Shimano Tranx 300 - 5.8 or 7.6 Gear Ratio?

J. Farrell

Hello,
I am totally new to bait casting in the ocean, having only fished lakes with spinning gear. I am looking at the Tranx 300, it meets all of the requirements I have for inshore fishing in the Victoria, BC area. My thoughts are on the 5.8 gear ratio, as it will put a bit less stress on my rod & line... maybe, what do I know? I guess the trade-off is slightly slower hook setting & of course, slightly slower retrieve rate, but again, what do I know?

Do you have any opinions on this? What is the preferred ratio for non-species specific shore fishing?

Thanks for your thoughts.

You can use such a reel for this. One limitation I see is that since it is a smaller reel it may have lower line capacity. If you get a big fish on, or get snagged you may find that you don't have enough line for a full days fishing.

Most people use larger spin casting reels designed for saltwater use for shore casting as they are easier to cast then bait caster reels - until you can the hang of casting a bait caster.

The gear ratio is totally a personal choice with most folks using single action mooching reels for trolling. The gear ratio depends on how much you want to fight the fish bringing it in or let the reel do more of the work.

Last edited:
I don't think it really matters since you are unlikely to catch anything from shore that will be so big that the higher gear ratio is going to be that much more work. But if you think you will need the lower gear to winch them in then go for the 5.8 ratio. The hookset will come more from the rod than the reel.

Also, the lures you will be fishing won't need the faster retrieve to get the proper action, so the 5.8 will be plenty fast.

The Tranx 300 will hold plenty of line for anything you come across casting from shore. I have a Lexa 400 TW with 50 lb braid that I use for an all round light jigging setup on the boat for salmon, ling cod, tuna and even halibut. It has a 7.1 gear ratio; I probably would have gone for one of the lower ratio models, but got a screaming deal on it and have been happy so far.

I don't think it really matters since you are unlikely to catch anything from shore that will be so big that the higher gear ratio is going to be that much more work. But if you think you will need the lower gear to winch them in then go for the 5.8 ratio. The hookset will come more from the rod than the reel.

Also, the lures you will be fishing won't need the faster retrieve to get the proper action, so the 5.8 will be plenty fast.

The Tranx 300 will hold plenty of line for anything you come across casting from shore. I have a Lexa 400 TW with 50 lb braid that I use for an all round light jigging setup on the boat for salmon, ling cod, tuna and even halibut. It has a 7.1 gear ratio; I probably would have gone for one of the lower ratio models, but got a screaming deal on it and have been happy so far.
Most stores are clearing out the Lexa's HD's right now, I grabbed one for 47% off MSRP.

Hey J. Farrell the info that Whole In The Water suggested you'd be better off with a spinning reel for ease of casting is bang on, they also have less backlashes. You can also pair it with a longer rod with softer tip for added casting distance.

Thanks for the input & advice. I am locked into casting, as I have already purchased a rod. I considered many posts in forums & decided that I should learn to cast (vs. spinning) as it will, hopefully, allow for further casting - once I have the hang of it.

Rod purchased - Shimano Technium. 11"6, 12-25 line rating, 3/4-2oz lure rating, med/heavy power, med/fast action.

As it is only rated for 25 lb line max., I thought I would run 30 lb. braid for ease of casting with a 20 lb. leader, to protect the rod. Many posts say "don't run any braid less than 30 lb., as it may dig into the spooled line & cause problems". I am somewhat limited by budget, or I would look towards the Calcutta Conquest 300s. There is a Calcutta D in a 400 that may be of interest, but that may be lot of reel for the distance I expect to be casting. I don't have any access to boats, so I don't expect I'll ever be out on the open water.

Again, thanks for your thoughts. I probably shouldn't have locked myself into a rod first, but I have to buy things in stages due to my budget. There was a good deal on that rod, so I grabbed it. This month I match the rod to a reel, which is why I'm here.

All the best to you.

To explain myself further, I'm looking to do a sort of Florida surf casting arrangement, using light(ish) lures (given the rid specs). That's why such a long rod, at this point, I'm mostly concerned with casting distance. I figure if I can cast far enough out, someday I may catch something of reasonable size. The rod matched what I was trying to do, or so I think, maybe, I'll see.

The length, weight and action of the rod and the weight of the lure are the biggest factors in how far you can cast. If you find you cannot cast far enough with your current rod then you may need to get a new casting rood.

For example, look at the specialized rods that surf casters and spey rods for fly fishing. They are designed for maximum casting distance. If you want to cast farther get a long rod with the right flexy action to whip your lure out there farther.

The length, weight and action of the rod and the weight of the lure are the biggest factors in how far you can cast. If you find you cannot cast far enough with your current rod then you may need to get a new casting rood.
Thank you. If I do have to get a new rod, it will be the lighter of the purchases. I'm starting to think hard about the Calcutta Conquest reels now. I may have to delay the purchase, but it looks to be a worthy investment that will easily suit my needs for years.

Thank you. If I do have to get a new rod, it will be the lighter of the purchases. I'm starting to think hard about the Calcutta Conquest reels now. I may have to delay the purchase, but it looks to be a worthy investment that will easily suit my needs for years.
Calcutta's are nice, I had a 401D but sold it. The lexa's are nicer for casting and the higher retrieve rate but again you'll cast much further with a spinning reel and that's coming from someone with a fair amount of experience using a conventional or levelwind.. Be prepared to get very good at figuring out birds nests hahaha, it happens even with experience.

Be prepared to get very good at figuring out birds nests hahaha, it happens even with experience.
I thought I was prepared, however, now you have me thinking hard in the other direction & pricing spinning equipment. Thanks for the advice. I know I could learn casting, eventually, but if spinning equipment will do the job, maybe I will stick to that.

Back