Sand Lance Spoon

I was wondering how people are tying there line onto the split ring? It seems to me that the section of the split ring that has only one wire might impede on the lures action, with the possability of hanging up. Maybe I'm just overthinking it. Any comments would be appreciated.;) eman

hey Eman,

I am personally using a palomar knot, which is super strong, easy to tie and doesn't slip around once tightened. I place the knot centered on the opposite side from the opening(one wire section) so that the lure is being towed by the one wire section. It's hard to say if the ends of the ring effect the action. It does not seem to hang up. The fish don't seem to mind, but again this is another reason to go welded rings....but doing that locally will really drive the price up, which I'd live to avoid.

I'm interested to hear others take on this too!

Andrew,

Why not put a barrel swivel on the split ring on the terminal side and tie to that? Most of the commie spoons do have the welded ring on both ends, but they also have a barrel swivel on the terminal side. Do you think it will effect the action negatively?

The other end should be easy enough with an open eye hook pinched around the split ring.

Andrew,

Why not put a barrel swivel on the split ring on the terminal side and tie to that? Most of the commie spoons do have the welded ring on both ends, but they also have a barrel swivel on the terminal side. Do you think it will effect the action negatively?

The other end should be easy enough with an open eye hook pinched around the split ring.

They do work great with a swivel up front and I have done on both ends. It does affect the action a bit, but not dramatically and actually a brass one with swivels on both ends and a big mustard siwash 6/0 hook was the most successful lure for us at Nootka a couple weeks back.

Nice feature for sure but also pushes up the price.
image.jpg

Andrew......received my spoons today........pls check your email, I need info......

Cheers.....Seafever

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew,
Have you had success during the mid summer when the bait gets bigger. 4/0 looks like it fits nicely does the 6/0 affect the action since it seems quite big.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I'll try 'em like this and see what happens....

View attachment 11970

ooooeeeee! Those look great Seafever!

Goitzy, the bigger hook does affect the action a bit and it helps to give the lure a little extra bend to compensate...but still works. I agree that 4/0 seems like the happy balance. As for the bigger fish....I have done well with variations of the design...but they were not quite up to the same standard last summer. I am quite excited to see what comes.

Seafever's gettin his R&D on. I'm liking that two tone. Let us know how that fares.

Glow tape........Harbor Chandler, Nanaimo. they sell by the foot.

They also have Green metallic tape similar to that.....I might have got that at Wholesale Sports though.

Cracked Ice tape......(both spoons are the same..........I just showed the front and back)....I got at Wholesale Sports Nan......

Sometimes I buy online if I need a color that can't be found around locally.

Don't know how long the tape will last........might have to redo after a couple of trips if the fishing is good.

hedu5ame.jpg

So I picked up some glow spray paint from Home Depot , put 5 coats on. On a charge its glow is really strong for 5 minutes after half hour it got pretty week will be trying it out on Sunday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks awsome! Good luck with it buddy!

hedu5ame.jpg

So I picked up some glow spray paint from Home Depot , put 5 coats on. On a charge its glow is really strong for 5 minutes after half hour it got pretty week will be trying it out on Sunday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

image.jpgimage.jpgI got some good r&d in last night in a little summer hole west of Vic east of race rocks. It wasn't a huge fish, 13.5, but it gulped it right back into the gills so the spoon was right in its teeth for a really good battle. This is a lighter gauge then all of the recent ones, but it still held up reasonably considering. It needed some reshaping, but happy with the results.

This particular one has now had 4 teens between 13-19 and lots smaller and still going strong.

Check your email bro. I would still like to purchase some spoons, haven't heard anything back from ya since may 12

Check your email bro. I would still like to purchase some spoons, haven't heard anything back from ya since may 12

Hey Dan, I see my wife sent you a message this evening. It looks like your email one that was maybe blocked because Google thought we were spamming, but really we were sending out a message to everyone who had emailed to say they were ready. Some got through and some didn't. Anyways, gład its sorted.

Thanks, ap

Back