RANT! Generally annoying behaviour...

It also happens on MacKenzie Ave in Victoria. Heading south approaching the island highway. There is a long line of traffic waiting to turn right onto the highway. These same people I'm referring to above will rush to the front of the line in the lane that is carrying on through the highway then try to force into the turn lane. Now when all the unselfish drivers who've been waiting their turn in the turn lane won't let the cheaters merge in, the cheaters now block the through traffic with their selfish act. :)

One thing that frosts my butt is in gridlock traffic, generally around road construction where drivers are being forced to merge from two lanes into one, there's always some donkey who blows by everyone from way in the back of the pack in the lane that needs to merge then tries to force their way in. You know who you are. And I'm the guy that won't let you merge in. ;)

Wait your turn like everyone else you selfish......

Not my fault you were ignorant and merged way to early and are now blocking the intersection looking stupid. Life's short, start living it. LOL :) Just Joking

Maybe learn how those signs around construction zones are set up, and what the distances are from the sign to the next one is as well as the distances from the actual construction is. People who don't know merge way to soon and bang there heads on theirs wheels as everyone doing right thing is merging as they should.

You not letting the person merge as the signs indicates is wrong. I'd merge right into your quarter panel :)

Lets just see....... failing to follow signs, failing to let some merge as directed, putting someone in the position of possibly having an acident causing all traffic to stop.

Hope your rant made you feel better about your driving skills :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is only BC where people start to merge as soon as they see the sign. Every other place I have lived you merge at the merge point, where the two lanes become one. At this point you take turns. Works like a hot damn. Nobody pissed off. It also doesn't leave a kilometre of open lane backing traffic up even further.
Yup...... So true

Easy Owen.... I have to say its somewhat of true statement.... In Vancouver and other cities you simply go.... Other drivers respond and let you in as you switch lanes construction or not. You simply don't wait you turn in and cars generally let you in.. And there I find no one gets totally pissed off. I do find on Vancouver island that all lot of drivers wont let people in.... Its very strange and its even worse in Victoria. I find anything up island from there a little better but still has its moments. I see what your saying with construction but the problem is when you get guys that floor it and don't let guys in it stops traffic... Its actually better if everyone goes to the end where the construction...But problem is you have people that assume that people are trying to get ahead of anyone/wont let them in..... The other line should let cars in.. If I were to drive like I do in Vancouver the island drivers would give me the finger.... I have to tone it down when I come back here every time a do a trip....

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys who want to get in at the back of the line may be there longer and may get more frustrated that's all I am saying..... :)

Theres more then one way to get things done. That includes getting there :)

Merging at the merge points is one thing. Being a complete douchebag and trying to stuff your way into the front of a lane that is turning left or right from a through lane is completely different. Attempt to do that to me and you WILL have to merge into my quarter panel and then truly suffer the consequences ;)

People who go off the highway at interchanges and back on when the highway is totally gridlocked and crawling at 4mph because of an accident many miles ahead to get ahead by 10 cars. Took me 1 1/2 hours to go 20km on Highway 1 coming home May long weekend 3 years ago because of an accident. Also **** me off that Highways crews didn't change the overhead signs warning driver's at Hope so they could go on the north side of the river. Caused traffic jam for 5 hours.

Stay within the rules of the road and use the signage provide. Just because they say you are going to have to merge in 2km doesn't mean you have to follow the others and merge right then and there. Driving in a open lane to the front of a merge point is legal. That is the point you are need to merge over to allow the construction to take place. What is wrong is trying to stop the person from merging when they have done nothing wrong.

Even if it "frosts your butt" LOL :)

Stay within the rules of the road and use the signage provide. Just because they say you are going to have to merge in 2km doesn't mean you have to follow the others and merge right then and there. Driving in a open lane to the front of a merge point is legal. That is the point you are need to merge over to allow the construction to take place. What is wrong is trying to stop the person from merging when they have done nothing wrong.

Even if it "frosts your butt" LOL :)

agreed - the newest one is heading out of victoria towards goldstream river. They took the lights out at the shell station before the "new" bear mountain exit/interchange - great!
now traffic backs up at the new lights out by sooke lake/shell/tim hortons intersection near goldstream causing massive backups - when it is backed up, many people think that running up through this Bear mtn interchange to merge back onto the island hwy heading north is the slickest thing since sliced bread.

Make sure you understand the difference between a Merge and a Lane Ending! Different rules! Lots of construction areas have a Lane Ends which means the car in that lane is responsible to change lanes without interrupting traffic flow in the continueing lane. This, as opposed to a merge where lanes must alternate and no one has the right of way! Of course a little courtesy never hurts

It also happens on MacKenzie Ave in Victoria. Heading south approaching the island highway. There is a long line of traffic waiting to turn right onto the highway. These same people I'm referring to above will rush to the front of the line in the lane that is carrying on through the highway then try to force into the turn lane. Now when all the unselfish drivers who've been waiting their turn in the turn lane won't let the cheaters merge in, the cheaters now block the through traffic with their selfish act. :)

...same,same...that section is a MAJOR SHITSHOW!!

An accident looking for a place to happen; merging lanes and Galloping Goose commuters;road rage chaos at best or worse death. How is it that Stu can build an overpass to nowhere!

Well given as merge means to blend, you would need to try to blend into the proper lane of traffic. not race up to the end of the lane that is closing then try to force your way in to the open lane.

Should use proper signalling and merge anywhere you are directed to. You should automatically alow others to merge in without interrupting anything at all.

If they wanted you to merge over a mile back that where there merge spot would be :)

What get me is when people speed up just to cut I front of someone, then they hit the brakes and slow down the entire flow of traffic.

My rant on drivers is first the guy who sees I have a little room in front of the truck while towing my boat, changes in to my lane And and then jumps on the brakes to make an off ramp. Or just slows down. Figure I should install a camera system to record them as I run over them. Might save me being sued. Other rant, is the people who decide that the speed limit is whatever and they can camp in the fast lane just below that speed. When I was a youth, a loooong time ago, the signs said "keep right except to pass". Now they state slower traffic keep right. I love driving in Europe! The cops pull over people who decide they want to drive in the passing lanes while not passing.

Road signs don't always indicate what to do, so you should follow everyone else's lead and not dick anyone. The spot mentioned in the first "rant" doesn't have a merge. The right lane is for people turning onto trans canada heading north and theeft lane is for people crossing the highway or heading south on highway. They tried to reduce the number of dick head moves by adding cones halfway up the hill, but people now assume that is where you should merge. Nope! Merging there screws anyone heading west or south. Plenty of room for cars to stay in the right lane and maintain flow of other lanes.

Some people will tell themselves anything to try and rationalize their poor morals and general a$$hole moves on the road, or in life.

Road signs don't always indicate what to do, so you should follow everyone else's lead and not dick anyone. The spot mentioned in the first "rant" doesn't have a merge. The right lane is for people turning onto trans canada heading north and theeft lane is for people crossing the highway or heading south on highway. They tried to reduce the number of dick head moves by adding cones halfway up the hill, but people now assume that is where you should merge. Nope! Merging there screws anyone heading west or south. Plenty of room for cars to stay in the right lane and maintain flow of other lanes.

Some people will tell themselves anything to try and rationalize their poor morals and general a$$hole moves on the road, or in life.

Actually Dave there was no spot mentioned in the first rant :)

You must be reading the second one :)

Not my fault you were ignorant and merged way to early and are now blocking the intersection looking stupid. Life's short, start living it. LOL :) Just Joking

Maybe learn how those signs around construction zones are set up, and what the distances are from the sign to the next one is as well as the distances from the actual construction is. People who don't know merge way to soon and bang there heads on theirs wheels as everyone doing right thing is merging as they should.

You not letting the person merge as the signs indicates is wrong. I'd merge right into your quarter panel :)

Lets just see....... failing to follow signs, failing to let some merge as directed, putting someone in the position of possibly having an acident causing all traffic to stop.

Hope your rant made you feel better about your driving skills :)

Yes, I feel better, thank you for asking.

I hope you feel better too. :)

Was enjoyable, hope theres no hard feelings

It helped passing the time today recovering from surgery, just had my lead foot repaired :)

Take Care,

Back