Project 'Bad Habits' Build

Will start another thread we don't want to hijack FB masterpiece good job you have over 20k views keep it up and let see some more pics!!

Ya I'm getting a little worried with how many people are going to know this boat. I only saw the views a week or so ago and it was around 18.5.....

to call it a masterpiece though...appreciated, but stretching it! haha It has been a really fun build to date. I would definitely do it again. I may build a small boat from scratch to toy around the freshwater as it has been pretty enjoyable doing aluminum fabrication.

Once it's all said and done I'm thinking about a pictorial thread to sum it all up and save people some near 30 pages of reading......

update on the project to get this thread back on track, but no pics because my phone died...

I have hatch for the fish hold now installed and re-inforced. I had to get creative with how it closed flush because I make my fab tolerances more like machining tolerances so everything is a pretty snug fit. But it all worked out.

Started working on the rear facing seats to wrap up the day, and figuring placement of my 3 scotty riggers.

JAC, you are running a forward downriggers right?? How far forward are your riggers from your engines and have you tested them out? I want to add a forward rigger on the starboard side, opposite the kicker, at mid-ship (so it will be within arms reach of the helm seat pretty much).
I think it will be fine but I really have no idea/experience in the matter.

I have only flatline ( buck tailed) on my new boat and I'm around 12 feet forward of the motors. My riggers are now installed and wired but have not tested yet. I would think the riggers will be no worries they are far from the motors so I can't see a problem I ran them anywhere from 2 feet to 6 feet from my kicker on different boats and never had a problem. I fish a lot and I have had one time in the last 7 years where I got my fishing line into my kicker. We were sturgeon fishing near Ladner with the anchor set and the kicker running in reverse to hold us against the tide. I didn't notice and my fishing line got into the yamaha T8 kicker and the reel was screaming!!,! We thought we had the mother of all sturgeon HAHA but we ended up with a big mess! So be careful if you catch a Kicker they can spool you fast!

Cool. I will be about 12' forward of the motor as well, not to mention on the opposite side of the boat as the kicker. I plan on mounting the scottys early next week after another trip to the marine store for some odds n ends.

So, off topic, but are you using a small Plasma?
If so, what one, I'm looking into getting one for home here.

Interesting question and I've never really touched on what tools I've been using to get the job done. As far as a plasma cutter, no I haven't been using one.

Cutting tools:
Circular saw, jig saw, vertical and horizontal band saw, disc grinder with sanding/cutting discs.
Welder:
Miller 180 auto-set with the Spoolmate 100 Mig Gun + accessories
Misc:
Hammer, BFH, hand drill, die grinder (with carbide burr tool), Screw drivers and driver bits, pry bar, heavy and light clamps, vice, and elbow grease.
Shop machines: (not available to the average Joe, some at my shop, some outsourced)
Milling machine, drill press, press brake, shear, waterjet

I'm sure I forgot a few things. And a lot of the tools made the job easier. But in reality, almost 95% of the cutting can be done with a circular saw. You may need 1 other tool, be it a jig saw, router ect to do do rounded corners and larger holes. But it doesn't take much. It may not have the refined edging, and scratch free panelling of an Armstrong, or other professional boat builders. But she will float and do as much as the rest. Add a welder and a solid few hours of practice and you can be well on your way. It's been fun learning as I go.

I finished up the seating I plan to run on the boat. All seats are removable from the tapped floor plates. Here's a few shots of the two seating positions. All seats swivel 360, with sliders. Basic but its functional! The last shots details the location of my forward downrigger mount, within a long arms reach of the captains chair. I may not run it all the time, but it will be nice when fishing solo to have a rod close at hand.
Following are shots of my rear downrigger mounts.

IMAG0199_zpsd4630ecf.jpg

IMAG0200_zps7ce61b79.jpg

IMAG0201_zpsb491da20.jpg

IMAG0198_zps4c293caa.jpg

IMAG0196_zpse49d7232.jpg

I also filled all the many holes from previous downriggers and rod holders down the sides and transom, which can be seen where there is sanded off paint. Working on all the littler things now..

Looks great FB!!!. Remember Ed's motto is chrome don't get ya home lol. Function wins over fashion every time. I like the DR mounts. How skookum are the seat post's? Do they sway at all?

What do you mean sway? I haven't bolted them completely down yet but I'm thinking its going to be pretty rock solid....
Maybe next year I paint it but for this season it will definitely be function over fashion.

More pictures of progress.

#1 mounted rear helm. Mounted it on the starboard side, cuz I am right handed...just infront of the transom where I can use the transom cap cushion as a comfy seat, and the gunnel as a foot rest. I really like its position now. Be curious to see how it feels on the water.

IMAG0211_zps29b25d71.jpg

#2 and #3 I added foot rests, arm rests and grab handles to the captains and passenger chair

IMAG0206_zpsbee457ed.jpg

IMAG0207_zpsccd24eed.jpg

And the triumphant finish for the day...I mounted the freshly powder-coated out board pod, Built by Streamline Boats.

IMAG0214_zps6dbe80a5.jpg

IMAG0213_zpsee7a765d.jpg

IMAG0215_zps71abc5ff.jpg

Thanks for reading, Cheers!

Wow looking good, that pod looks pretty skookum, I'm glad you gave the passenger something to hold on too, that will be a much used accessory.

More pictures of progress.

#1 mounted rear helm. Mounted it on the starboard side, cuz I am right handed...just infront of the transom where I can use the transom cap cushion as a comfy seat, and the gunnel as a foot rest. I really like its position now. Be curious to see how it feels on the water.

IMAG0211_zps29b25d71.jpg

#2 and #3 I added foot rests, arm rests and grab handles to the captains and passenger chair

IMAG0206_zpsbee457ed.jpg

IMAG0207_zpsccd24eed.jpg

And the triumphant finish for the day...I mounted the freshly powder-coated out board pod, Built by Streamline Boats.

IMAG0214_zps6dbe80a5.jpg

IMAG0213_zpsee7a765d.jpg

IMAG0215_zps71abc5ff.jpg

Thanks for reading, Cheers!

Dang looking pretty sweet Bra
The HO will top that cake :p:cool::p................nicely

Last edited by a moderator:
Hellz Yea it will!

If you are in the area next week, give me buzz. I'd love to show you how your "welding 101' course went for me!!

Big Thank You to Trendsetter. Not only did he have a spare rotary helm and cable which he donated to the cause...but he even used his outboard know-how to tune up my kicker so its ready for the water! Awesome stuff, thanks!

2003 9.9 Yamaha

[iO4hZ2TtL3U] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO4hZ2TtL3U

The kicker will be mounted in the "pocket" on the port side of the boat. It is inset into the transom which should give me worry free trolling when the current is ripping or I am making a tight turn. It will be independantly steered from a rear helm, located on the starboard side, a few feet forward of the rear downrigger. Click a page back and all the details are there in picture form.

Installed the front windshield today. The guys at Walnut Grove Glass & Aluminum came to my shop at no charge to put it in. Pretty happy about that as I didn't have to pull it out of the shop to get the window.

IMAG0243_zps1066475e.jpg

IMAG0242_zpsb97bdd5e.jpg

I have had lots of boats with safety glass window with rubber gasket around them. Its best to have the gasket joint at the bottom of the window. these joints can capture salt water and you will get corrosion. It's more a problem on window frames that on painted aluminum boats. If you look at a lot of hewes crafts they put the joints on the side of the window and its hard to drain. Most hewes crafts I see that spend time in saltwater have paint bubbles and corrosion at the gasket joint.

Thanks Fire :) Happy to see a finishing part go on.

JAC, I was planning on trimming the gasket with some silicone to stop any water from getting into the gasket. But it was a pretty tight fit and they did a great job at the joint.

Back