Prawn fishing

Striper Sniper

If my wife has the proper Salt Water fishing license, does she have to be on the boat with me when I set the Prawn traps and pick them up or is the fact that she is licensed sufficient? [?] Thanks, Striper Sniper

I don't know if it would matter if shes there when you set the gear, but for sure I'd say she better be there when you pull it!! If you get checked while pulling a pot without your name in it or when heading back in and are overlimit you could be asking for trouble! You could take your chances but most likely best not to IMO.

She must be on the boat, setting and picking up
if you plan on using max. number of traps and taking
a 2 person limit.

its a fishing licence not a possession licence, one could almost argue that she would have to bait, set and pull her own traps.

Thanks guys, I will make sure that she is with me when I set... and pull..... SS

One other small tidbit to consider. Age does not matter as far as obtaining a licence is concerned but everyone should be aware that to be allowed to "possess" prawns or crabs the person claiming the possession MUST be capable of pulling the traps on their own.
I witnessed such an incident at Rocky Point when a fellow came in with a 2 person limit of crabs and to his dismay he was written up by an RCMP officer and had his catch confiscated. He had his young son with him and the officer said it was obvious that a 40-50 pound boy could not pull a full crab trap up from 60-100 feet.It is written in the regs.

quote:Originally posted by Despy

One other small tidbit to consider. Age does not matter as far as obtaining a licence is concerned but everyone should be aware that to be allowed to "possess" prawns or crabs the person claiming the possession MUST be capable of pulling the traps on their own.
I witnessed such an incident at Rocky Point when a fellow came in with a 2 person limit of crabs and to his dismay he was written up by an RCMP officer and had his catch confiscated. He had his young son with him and the officer said it was obvious that a 40-50 pound boy could not pull a full crab trap up from 60-100 feet.It is written in the regs.

That's a tough law in my opinion. Kind of discourages taking your kids with you.

quote:Originally posted by Despy

Hey Despy, can you please point out where in the regs this is stated...the "pulling the traps on their own" piece. I can't find it.

Thanks in advance.

..... and what if you have a pot puller on board....:D

ya that ones a little weird, what if the boat had a trap puller a fifty pound kid could get that started easy enough

To be honest, I`ve never seen it in the regs either, just stating what I witnessed. Personally, right or wrong, the man was written up and he was not very happy. It would be interesting to know how that one turned out because the RCMP officer was quite sure he was right and conversely, the man written up stated he was going to fight it.

Despy that story just doesn't add up for 2 reasons. First, I don’t think RCMP normally enforce (or are knowledgeable of) the fisheries act especially for such a small issue. I’m not even sure it’s in their mandate. Secondly, the law that you describe to have been broken, doesn’t exist as far as I can tell. Perhaps I’m wrong, but I hope not because the whole thing sounds ridiculous. Better back that up if you put it on the forum….

quote:Originally posted by Slabby20

That's a tough law in my opinion. Kind of discourages taking your kids with you.

I don't understand that Slabby20. Chances are a very young child of 50lbs is only going to watch dad pull the prawn traps and to cheer him on. The youngster can do that and enjoy the experience with or without a license. Some may find such a reg discouraging, however, mostly because it would cut their prawn 'take' in half.

Tom

I see your point Tanglefoot. When I took my son when he was young, granted he didn't pull the trap but once that thing came over the side, he had it open and was pulling prawns out of it as fast as he could. . I think you would have a hard time convincing him him he was only a spectator. However, I can see how it could be abused just to increase the "take".

They can't fine you for having a little one on board with a license, so what the kid can't pull the trap all by their selves, and you have 400 prawns, with a youngster.

What about a situation where you have a mentaly challenged person aboard or an elderly person (that can't set the gear by leaning over the side of the boat), where they can't set the gear for salmon fishing. But sure, they can wind the rod in, and experience the excitement, as say they caught it. (Same IDEA, what are we going to do, fine the elderly, or the mentaly challenged?!)

My kids help me pull the prawn traps up, joint effort, they love it! We're usually not fortunate enough to catch our limits all the time, but hey, they're helping out, grabbing stuff when you ask for it, it's a joint effort. If we catch 400, we deserve it, we're not out *every* day. We repect the stocks, and hope others will too, it's not a race to see who can clean out all the prawns first. Take what you need, enjoy your day.

Maybe catches should be recorded (like springs), I know some people are catching 200 a day *everyday*, come on, who needs that many prawns, sure they're tasty.. but damn, 200 a day, man wastes so much crap in this world, enjoy everything while you can, cause the rate we're going, man is ruining everything! I hope things change in the near future, it's not just the oceans! (That's my two cents!)

Went out today for the first of my one week prawning spree! Lots of med to large prawns. Let them soak overnight and when we were deheading the first pull we let them soak for only about an hour and there was almost as many in the second time! Gotta love a puler makes it nice and easy!!!!!!!!

Back