17 foot tinner salt water fishing

Never fished salt!! Going to try and take my 17 footer out in the salt to fish west van and throughout the howe sound.

How bad can it be ? I have been caught in some pretty nasty fast 4 foot + rollers in the okanagan and my rig handles them fine.

Any other small boat fishermen out there fishing the vancouver salt ?? Let me know some advice!!! Best boat launches to fish from ???

It can get gnarly under the lions gate. But if you go when the forecast is nice, you'll probably have a good day. Just be aware that ocean currents stacked up with tides and winds create a very different sea state than wind waves in a lake. I'd suggest wading in carefully and ensure you have a way to summon help, a properly working bilge pump, a good running engine and a full tank of fuel.

I’m in a 16’ Lifetimer. I like launching from Vanier park as it’s the most protected. If the weather is bad I can usually still fish the harbour. If you launch in Howe Sound, you kinda have nowhere to go if it’s bad and the northerly outflows can be brutal. Launching from McDonald park means you are exposed to the Fraser North Arm which gets ******.

Any winds over 10 kt and I am cautious. Anything over 15 kt and I am going home. Tides and currents have a huge impact. Rising tide flows north, falling tide flows south in the Strait. Wind opposite to currents make things bad. Get a hand held VHF and some flares. Put your lifejacket on when it gets ******. Would also be wise to invest in a PLB (personal location beacon)

It can get gnarly under the lions gate. But if you go when the forecast is nice, you'll probably have a good day. Just be aware that ocean currents stacked up with tides and winds create a very different sea state than wind waves in a lake. I'd suggest wading in carefully and ensure you have a way to summon help, a properly working bilge pump, a good running engine and a full tank of fuel.
Boat is almost brand new, good bilge pump. I shouldn't have any issues mechanically.

I'm curious about the wakes from the freighters too? Do they get large?

Boating on lakes I am only around other tin boats or smaller wake boats. The wake is never a issue. Those freighters though kind of scare the crap out of me.

I’m in a 16’ Lifetimer. I like launching from Vanier park as it’s the most protected. If the weather is bad I can usually still fish the harbour. If you launch in Howe Sound, you kinda have nowhere to go if it’s bad and the northerly outflows can be brutal. Launching from McDonald park means you are exposed to the Fraser North Arm which gets ******.

Any winds over 10 kt and I am cautious. Anything over 15 kt and I am going home. Tides and currents have a huge impact. Rising tide flows north, falling tide flows south in the Strait. Wind opposite to currents make things bad. Get a hand held VHF and some flares. Put your lifejacket on when it gets ******. Would also be wise to invest in a PLB (personal location beacon)
I was thinking Vanier as well. I want to avoid the fraser river arms until I get more familiar with reading tides and wind conditions.

Our boats are similar in specs. I'm curious if you have any issues with freighter wakes? Or just wakes from larger boats in general out there.

When I was 4 years old we used to fish off of areas in Victoria near Esquimalt in a home made 8 foot car topper and a Seagull outboard motor trolling for salmon. 80% of the salmon fishing back then was in smaller less than 17ft. boats for the most part.

Boat is almost brand new, good bilge pump. I shouldn't have any issues mechanically.

I'm curious about the wakes from the freighters too? Do they get large?

Boating on lakes I am only around other tin boats or smaller wake boats. The wake is never a issue. Those freighters though kind of scare the crap out of me.
Keep you distance and don’t run in front of them. Anticipate the wake and try to go over it on a 45° angle facing toward it. I fished a 14’ tinny before out to Bowen, Sandheads etc. Biggest thing is checking the weather often and checking multiple forecasts. The 4 models on Windy.com and the Environment Canada Marine forecast are usually enough. I always check the night before and the morning of. Storms take a while to die down so 0 kt winds after gale force 12 hours before will still be rough.

When I was 4 years old we used to fish off of areas in Victoria near Esquimalt in a home made 8 foot car topper and a Seagull outboard motor trolling for salmon. 80% of the salmon fishing back then was in smaller 17ft. boats for th

When I was 4 years old we used to fish off of areas in Victoria near Esquimalt in a home made 8 foot car topper and a Seagull outboard motor trolling for salmon. 80% of the salmon fishing back then was in smaller less than 17ft. boats for the most part.
Nice. I have done some fishing off spots of nanaimo in a boat smaller then mine. Mind you I was able to hide closer to shore and there wasn't much freighter traffic. I am more so worried about those huge cargo ships and having to cross the Harbour to get to fishing spots.

Ask a friend to join you. Setting gear and driving at the same time can be difficult at times even for experienced fishermen. Build your confidence by staying around the mile markers and bell bouy. A nw wind will be uncomfortable vs a southerly.
Winter fishing can also be very cold, be prepared. Fish the bottom 20 ft.

Keep you distance and don’t run in front of them. Anticipate the wake and try to go over it on a 45° angle facing toward it. I fished a 14’ tinny before out to Bowen, Sandheads etc. Biggest thing is checking the weather often and checking multiple forecasts. The 4 models on Windy.com and the Environment Canada Marine forecast are usually enough. I always check the night before and the morning of. Storms take a while to die down so 0 kt winds after gale force 12 hours before will still be rough.
OK good to here. There not putting off 6 foot tall wakes though right ? I would sh*t myself lol.

Freighter wakes are not what they used to be before all the rules around speed in different locations. We fish out of a 14ft Lund off the Victoria waterfront and freighter wake is not really an issue as you know it is coming and can steer into it. More concerning is the big American power boaters who know how to make the biggest wake possible.

Ask a friend to join you. Setting gear and driving at the same time can be difficult at times even for experienced fishermen. Build your confidence by staying around the mile markers and bell bouy. A nw wind will be uncomfortable vs a southerly.
Winter fishing can also be very cold, be prepared. Fish the bottom 20 ft.
Nice. I am always ready for winter fishing! Fishing the okanagan lake right through the winter for the past couple years. My favorite time of year to fish!

The okanagan is a big lake and quite deep so I am assuming I will be fishing with my riggers and trolling almost the exact same as I would for kokanee.

Freighter wakes are not what they used to be before all the rules around speed in different locations. We fish out of a 14ft Lund off the Victoria waterfront and freighter wake is not really an issue as you know it is coming and can steer into it. More concerning is the big American power boaters who know how to make the biggest wake possible.
Awesome! I want to get my boat out to the island this summer.

I am moving back to vancouver in the next month. I sure am excited to be able to explore and fish that area again.

My boat handles even the biggest wake surfing wake fine. I am not sure what they do get a wake that large but it has taken me by surprise a few times on the larger lakes out here. I'm sure I am worried more then I should be although I will still be cautious.

Awesome! I want to get my boat out to the island this summer.

I am moving back to vancouver in the next month. I sure am excited to be able to explore and fish that area again.

My boat handles even the biggest wake surfing wake fine. I am not sure what they do get a wake that large but it has taken me by surprise a few times on the larger lakes out here. I'm sure I am worried more then I should be although I will still be cautious.
Wait until you experience a big tug wake. Those douchebags could only dream of making a surf wake like that! Lol. Even on the calmest day of the year one of those could surprise you if you're not ready for it.

Last edited:
Wait until you experience a big tug wake. Those douchebags could only dream of making a surf wake like! Lol. Even on the calmest day of the year one of those could surprise you if you're not ready for it.
Great. I'm sure It will be fine haha. I don't mind a bit of an adrenaline rush. Keeps me on point. I'm going to have to hit them to get used to them haha. Hopefully I don't get bucked out of the boat.

You can launch at sunset marina or horseshoe bay if you want to fish Howe sound. Pick a nice day and it’s like a lake out there. Waterfall, grace and tunstall are within 15 mins of the launch. Read back on the Vancouver fishing forum and you can get a pretty good idea at what tide “the bite is on”

That commuter catamaran sure does! Lol
Yeah I think
You can launch at sunset marina or horseshoe bay if you want to fish Howe sound. Pick a nice day and it’s like a lake out there. Waterfall, grace and tunstall are within 15 mins of the launch. Read back on the Vancouver fishing forum and you can get a pretty good idea at what tide “the bite is on”
What do you figure is better to start ? Vanier to west van shoreline and cap mouth. Or horseshoe Bay to bowen tip and Tunstall?

Wich one is more beginner friendly u figure?

Back