AIS Satellite Tracking for personal Boat

Keith Brown

I had an AIS transceiver installed when I bought my boat last year. What I didn't realise was that when I'm out of range of AIS ground station where it is necessary to rely on Satellite Tracking. The rub is the cost of satellite service is prohibitively expensive. I originally thought that my wife would be able to track me while I was fishing up Island but that simply isn't the case without a paid subscription. I'm wondering if anyone has found a service that will satellite track one private boat by one user at a reasonable cost. I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one that has wanted to do this.
Thank You

garmin inreach has tracking. Paid subscription.
Thank You great idea. I have an Iridium Sat phone, but I prefer not to have it with me. I don't like to be bothered well I'm fishing, especially by a text or phone call. I have VHS/DCS to communicate on the water, I am planning on communicating with my wife and the rest of the world Via AIS . LMAO

Failing that, VHF will transmit to other vessels in range. And, many of us hit the boat to escape, find peace and solitude - communicating with the home office is optional.

I had an AIS transceiver installed when I bought my boat last year. What I didn't realise was that when I'm out of range of AIS ground station where it is necessary to rely on Satellite Tracking. The rub is the cost of satellite service is prohibitively expensive. I originally thought that my wife would be able to track me while I was fishing up Island but that simply isn't the case without a paid subscription. I'm wondering if anyone has found a service that will satellite track one private boat by one user at a reasonable cost. I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one that has wanted to do this.
Thank You
I use Zoleo. $25 per month active and $5 per month on suspend in the off-season.

I use Zoleo. $25 per month active and $5 per month on suspend in the off-season.
Vessel Finder and Company very expensive to subscribe for AIS satellite coverage. I was hoping to find an inexpensive way to track my AIS via satellite. Thank You for your suggestion.

Last edited:
Failing that, VHF will transmit to other vessels in range. And, many of us hit the boat to escape, find peace and solitude - communicating with the home office is optional.
I agree with you, Except in my case communication with the home or office is prohibited

Failing that, there is pills your wife can take for anxiety.
Hmm. No Vellum needed in this camp. I spend a ton of my spare time out of cell range. Particularly in July August and September when I'm fishing. I thought it would be nice for my wife to know where we are traveling through AIS instead of emerging from a black hole after a week or ten days. Don't worry as always she will be waiting like she always has, no pill required.

Hmm. No Vellum needed in this camp. I spend a ton of my spare time out of cell range. Particularly in July August and September when I'm fishing. I thought it would be nice for my wife to know where we are traveling through AIS instead of emerging from a black hole after a week or ten days. Don't worry as always she will be waiting like she always has, no pill required.
She can use the Marine Traffic app to look you up.

Here is the link

One of the first days out on our boat we were called by Victoria Coast Guard warning us about a loaded bulk carrier rounding Admiralty Point with some busy tugs managing it's movement.

Our vessel name/info shows up on AIS. We don't pay an annual fee .

Our boat is a Registered Vessel which is a different form of registration.

Doing this gives us legal title to the boat, most recreational boaters don't bother doing this.

What if you went with a class A system? From what I read, shore stations receive AIS class A transmissions with 50-100km range.
Class B transmitter range is more like 10km.

Back