Prawn Traps Stuck on Bottom

Marley

Hi All

I have a couple prawn traps that are stuck on the bottom. I think I made the mistake of using to much sinking line and through a couple of tide changes the rope has wrapped around something on the bottom. I couldn’t pull them in, even tried pulling with the boat and no luck.

Any other strategies to try and recover my gear? Otherwise I am thinking I will just pull in as much line as possible and literally cut my losses.

What size rope and what size boat. If it's 1/4" rope and a decent size boat, you should be able to pull hard enough till something breaks - no? (the rope, not the boat...)

Can you get enough slack rope that you can wrap it around a cleat and just nudge the motor in gear to try to drag it out? Or are you afraid it will rip the harness off of the trap?

It’s that blue lead rope. It’s larger than 1/4” 16 ft boat. I am hoping not to break anything on the boat which would be more expensive than just buying two new traps.

Can you get enough slack rope that you can wrap it around a cleat and just nudge the motor in gear to try to drag it out? Or are you afraid it will rip the harness off of the trap?
I pulled relatively hard already and nothing broke loose so I think the rope is stuck rather than the trap.

Hard to believe pulling right left forward and back will not release. Cleats on the stern of the boats are very strong.
Don't flip your boat!!
Such an adventure...let us know how it turns out

Ya, I guess if you do have a cleat to tie it to and giver donkey and try and pull it / break the rope with the boat... Or better yet, get a buddy with a bigger boat to try the "tie it to a cleat and gun it" method of pulling it up.

But if it were me, i'd cut it and give up. No use having something unpredictable happening or potentially busting something on the boat. At least you get your float back... sucks to lose rope and traps though.

Ok thanks guys. I will give it one more try off the stern cleat without sinking my boat and if that doesn’t work. I’ll cut it. I’ll let you know know it turns out.

I had an anchor line stuck around a rock I guess 1 time. I flipped a coin and decided to go 180 degrees clockwise and try pulling it. It did not move. I went from that location counter clockwise 180 deg. to get to the starting point and then another 180 counter clockwise and it came loose that time. I used a track on my chart reader. You could try 90 pull, another 90 pull and the back and in the other direction. Pull just hard enough to see if it is free not to tip the boat. Just trying to unwrap it from the obstacle

I'd attach to my bow to stern line on the side of the boat before pulling gently.
Attaching to a stern cleat sounds sketchy in a 16' boat. One fat guy standing on the aft corner could dip it and the motor well under likely. Is your prawn line breaking strength more than a fat guy weighs? Probably.

Ok thanks guys. I will give it one more try off the stern cleat without sinking my boat and if that doesn’t work. I’ll cut it. I’ll let you know know it turns out.
Try pulling in a circle-moving and pulling through 360 degrees-then try reversing the turn-it may unwind off a rock or you may find a direction it will pull from.

As many above say... circle the trap one way and if that doesn't work, circle the other way. first you have to drive in one direction until the slack is taken out but not too much pressure on rope. Then start your circles. Been there and this worked. I think I actually had the rope in hand so not too much pressure on it. I wasn't trying to break it free. Just to unwind it. Good luck. What ever you do, do it safe. Have a knife near by and a partner to help.

Back