Plug w/ or w/out flasher?

N

nucklesc

I have been chasing salmon in the salt now for 4-5 years. I have not fished plugs much and would like some input from plug-guys. Have you had better success with or without a flasher? I often run 2 poles per downrigger and would like to start running the top two rods with plugs. Thoughts........

Check the search function.. Lots of stuff there about how far from the clip and doctoring plugs to fish slower so you can use them at the same time as flasher with other gear. Most people I know don't use plugs behind flashers. The Tomic website also has lots of tips.

quote:Originally posted by nucklesc

I have been chasing salmon in the salt now for 4-5 years. I have not fished plugs much and would like some input from plug-guys. Have you had better success with or without a flasher? I often run 2 poles per downrigger and would like to start running the top two rods with plugs. Thoughts........

I generally run them without a flasher, and put them a long way back from the downrigger - as much as 100'. Plugs will dart back and forth and cover a lot of territory this way.

If you feel the need to run a flasher, tie it direct to the downrigger cable/ball and put it about 3 to 6' behind the cable. Then run the plug about 5' above the false flasher. and about 20' to 30' behind the cable.

I sometimes run a plug on the surface without any weight. I put it back about 50' or so behind the boat so that it pops in and out of the water in the wake of the boat - great for Coho.

A few years back, we had the boat just about plugged full of Coho and were trying to get a couple more Chinook. Looking through the tacklebox, I found a 7" Tomic that was old when I was a teenager. My dad had it in his box - I'd never seen it used, never mind fished it myself. I put it on and dragged it behind the boat on the downrigger.

The rod on the other side of the boat got hit, and I brought up both downriggers. The fish was next to the boat and ready to be netted, so I didn't bother to unclip the line with the plug on it. The plug floated up to the surface and was just laying there beside the boat when there was a big splash and the rod doubled over. I grabbed it and set the hook gently and handed it off to a guest.

<center>
2004-08-08-warwick-3.jpg

August 8/'04 - Andrew Warwick with this year's record (to date) 20-3/4 lb Coho, caught at Low Rock while out on a charter with his father and 2 brothers. Beat yesterday's record Coho by 4-1/4 pounds!</center>

This fish set the Coho record at the dock for that day (biggest to date that year), but it got whipped by a 26 pounder the next day. And yes, I got the record the day before, also :D

I'd run plugs without a flasher so they get to wiggle and dart all over the place. As Sushihunter says, run them about 100 feet behind boat. When using a Classic Tomic plug, crank up the speed 3.0 to 4.5 MPH or faster. If you are fishing dead slow, use a Tubby Tyee or Luhr Jensen J-plug. Good basic colours are#500 :), #600, #602 :D, #700, #803, #156, #158, #49X "Plaid" series, #530 UV Purple Glow (!!!![}:)]). Plugs are pricey and to do well you'll need a bunch of them in all sizes and be willing to change colours and sizes until you find the ones that work....don't worry, the plugs that work will soon be covered in teeth marks.

Don,t forget the ever popular 232 6in works everyday of the year on the westcoast.

quote:Originally posted by bananas

Don,t forget the ever popular 232 6in works everyday of the year on the westcoast.

232.jpg

This one?

I've never used that one.

I've always had a fondness for 500 and 602 I also use one that is green with a black racing stripe, but I don't know the number on it and I don't see it listed on the Tomic color chart.

500.jpg

602.jpg

Hey there Bananas. Do you run your plugs with the tow bar? or do you remove them, then rig it up with a leader, red bead, swival and big siwash single. Thanks for the info in advance. Cheers FC

Can't beat the pulled pin method, more action and a chance to get your plug back if you break it off. 50+ feet back from the clip with dummy flashers off your balls if you wish. lots of info on the search function previously discussed.

fah cups both ways seem to fish well for me but pulling the pin you get a chance to get your plug back.I find the biggest things are your speed and plug distance.when you think your going fast enough go faster then keep one plug 15 to 30ft back and the other up to 100.One day the short one will work other days the long one.
Good luck and remember the 232 its magic.

What about the ol louies and lymanns!!!!!!!
lucky louies work well dont they bananas LOL

wolf

So if the fishing seems slow, I guess you could take off the chovies and throw down some spoons and plugs, while increasing the speed to work the gear and cover more ground?

I have'nt fished much with plugs, but this thread raises a couple of questions about plugs, namely:

1) if fishing with a slower plug, say a tomic tubby, is that a compatable speed to also run spoons, hoochies, or bait with?

2) are plugs more of an "offshore" lure where the fish are more aggressive? I fish Nootka, and believe the outside fish behave differently than inside

thanks in advance for your thoughts.

DAJ

As anchovy in a teaser head is usually fished slow, you can get enough action from a Tubby at slow speeds like that.
Remember the Tubby was originally designed for rowboat fishing in the Tyee Pool in Campbell River as a replacement for the discontinued Lucky Louie. The shorter tail allows the Tubby to have more action at no more than at rowing speeds.
As spoons can work better at higher speeds, use a Classic with them.
Hootchies? Use a Classic at high speeds, and a Tubby when going really slow.
While I advocate honking along at high speed on the "outside," inside Nootka Sound when spawners are jumping about at the head of Tlupana Inlet and Moutcha Bay, a five-inch #530 Glow Tubby trolled dead slow with the current will often goad a big spawner into striking.
Offshore, if you have lots of hands to set and bring in lines, run stackers and four lines with 15-pound cannonballs. Deep lines with short 15-foot setbacks: a big 7-inch Classic on one side and a big #6 to #8 spoon (no flasher) on the other. Shallow lines 30 feet higher are set back 75 to 100 feet with a six-inch Classic on the line with the deep spoon, and big spoon on the plug line. Stagger the lines on each side by 15 to 40 feet and be sure to really put pressure on the deep lines (really set the lines deep into the downrigger clip) to minimize the belly in the line. Then really crank up the trolling speed (3.5 to 4.5 mph).
Try and keep up with Mike in the "Codfather"if he's out off Bajo...he honks...and catches loads!
Pulling pins or not? Tom Moss who invented the Tomic plug does not usually pull pins. To get the proper action on a Tomic, it has to swim head down. To do this with pins in, use a Berkley knot on the top part of the tie bar that is really cinched tight (hang the plug off its hook from something really secure that won't pull out, wet the knot — with a little dishwashing soap if you have it, then really draw up on the knot...slowly until you can hardly move it on the tie bar) — if the knot is placed on the correct spot on the tie bar (just behind the curve in the bar) the line and the top of the plug will form a 90° angle...and the plug will swim nose down. Too many anglers claim that plugs don't catch fish because they don't take the time to get the plugs to swim right.

Thanks, Oneway, for the excellent details.

Are you suggesting not to use any flashers with that two spoon, two plug setup?

With all that gear out, you won't need flashers to attract fish.

Oneway is correct on how to fish w pin intact
pulled pins work very well fished next to bait..if you keep it below 3 mph..AND..use a longer leaders w flashers. i use an 8' Fluro leader to the Chovie.

no, do not fish the plug behind the flasher

232 is my #1, then 84FLG tied w 602...match the hatch..U would be suprised how well the 4" will do IF needlefish/candles are around.

Okay, by "Classic" I assume you mean with the pin still in, Oneway?

I sense that folks are suggesting that with the pin pulled there's more action so you can troll it at a slower speed (say 3 mph ), and with the pin still in there's less action so you troll at a faster speed (3.5 to 4.5)?

Back