4 downrigger spacing

One of my buddies sometimes runs three riggers on his 16' Double Eagle. From what I have seen he pulls it off by using side plane pancake weights on the side riggers and not a lot of tight turns to keep the gear away from the center transom mounted rigger. It seems to me if the current in JDF is nasty he limits it to two riggers.

I only run two riggers on my model 2200 Glasply and If I want a third I put a line out the back on a trip planer or stack lines on the riggers. I stack a lot less than I use to. To lazy, and to much hassle I guess. The trip planer line was doing well this year for Ho's with a spoon and no flasher.
The Feds did not give us our once every 4 years, late Sockeye opening, so less need for a lot of lines.

One of my buddies sometimes runs three riggers on his 16' Double Eagle. From what I have seen he pulls it off by using side plane pancake weights on the side riggers and not a lot of tight turns to keep the gear away from the center transom mounted rigger. It seems to me if the current in JDF is nasty he limits it to two riggers.

I only run two riggers on my model 2200 Glasply and If I want a third I put a line out the back on a trip planer or stack lines on the riggers. I stack a lot less than I use to. To lazy, and to much hassle I guess. The trip planer line was doing well this year for Ho's with a spoon and no flasher.
The Feds did not give us our once every 4 years, late Sockeye opening, so less need for a lot of lines.
Yes, I run three downriggers (quite often). I only run 2 downriggers if the weather is bad, or the fish are biting nonstop (not very often). No problem doing tight turns, just speed the motor up to keep the the finned weights separated, and I have the middle set rod up higher than the 2 two side rods to avoid possible tangles. I know two other fishing buddies with the same setup and it works fine for them. You cover a lot more ground with the finned weights.

can't wait to hit the water in the spring with the Berty 15' outriggers and 2' plannar boards out from the fly bridge should get about 60-70' spread only open water and clam days for that playing around

When you say finned downrigger balls. Are you talking about the straight fins or the ones that are bent to make the balls track away from the boat? If they are the tracking ones, do they make them in 15-18lbs? I've only seen them in real light weights.

Yes they make them in 12 and 15 lb sizes
Just give the straight fins a slight bend to the left or right depending which side of the boat.
Don't forget which is which or they will track into each other rather than apart

Last edited:
Back