Adding a Power Socket / Port Plug

Baxter

Not exactly sure what these are called (Power socket? Port Plug?) I have seen a few different names.

Anyways, I have a Guest Charger on the boat. When I get home I always plug the boat in, and let the charger maintain the batteries. Was the first 'upgrade' I did to the boat after I bought it. After 3 years, so far there are zero real issues.

The only issue I do have is a potential one. Currently I run the cord for the charger through either a hatch (but then have to leave the hatch open) or bring it out under the gunnel, and then plug it into the extension cord. The hatch is an issue because then it is left open and water or whatever can get in. If I go under the gunnel there are sharp edges of aluminum that the cord can rub against and eventually cut through the sheathing. (so far it has not done this, but eventually it will).

So I have two solutions. Do something about the sharp edges, or consider adding a plug/socket/receptacle.

I am considering something like this (not necessarily this one in particular, this is just the first example I found)

Does anyone use something like this? Any reason why I should NOT do it? Seems like a good permanent fix to me, Thoughts?

I could not seem to find one made by BlueSea, and considering they seem to be one of the best brands for electrical and they don't sell one it makes me wonder if there is a reason they don't - like maybe they are a bad idea?

boat-plug.jpg

a true shore power plug, does complicate the wiring system, that bulkhead mounted plug may be the ticket

I put an inlet like that on my old boat exactly so I didn’t have to run the cable under my hatch. I also use that same model on my teardrop trailer as I had no need for a larger RV plug. Nothing wrong with using those as long as you don’t somehow exceed the max rated current.

Can you run the charger cord out the rubber boot where all your wires and controls enter into the back of the boat? I ran my solar panel connector wire from the battery out that way and it worked really well. There was lots of room to run one or two more cords through the rubber boot.

Can you run the charger cord out the rubber boot where all your wires and controls enter into the back of the boat? I ran my solar panel connector wire from the battery out that way and it worked really well. There was lots of room to run one or two more cords through the rubber boot.

I could do that, the cord is long enough, but my thoughts about that is that I then have the prongs exposed to salt water often. My only concern with running it through there.

I could do that, the cord is long enough, but my thoughts about that is that I then have the prongs exposed to salt water often. My only concern with running it through there.
Have a dummy plug that you can insert into the exposed and and have some of that electrical grease on it that will protect it, but not interrupt the flow.

I recently installed this exact same plug on my truck for the block heater. It was better quality than I was expecting and works well and exactly what I was looking for.
Sweet, good to know thanks!

I think I may just order that one.

If it corrodes with the salt, its not a big deal as this will not be functional at all when the boat is on the water, only when I am home and its plugged into the house. Maybe I will get some large heatshrink to wrap around where I plug the charger into it just for "$hits & giggles".

Sweet, good to know thanks!

I think I may just order that one.

If it corrodes with the salt, its not a big deal as this will not be functional at all when the boat is on the water, only when I am home and its plugged into the house. Maybe I will get some large heatshrink to wrap around where I plug the charger into it just for "$hits & giggles".

I mounted mine low on the black trim on the front of my truck kind of on a 45 degree angle. You wouldn't know it was there unless you bend down. I think the rubber cover will keep out the road grime and salt from the northern roads. Even if I only get a few years out of it I'll be happy for the cost and just replace it.

I ended up heat shrinking the male and female plug connection to the block heater. It's up high by the battery so should be a dry spot anyways.

Attachments

• RAM2.jpg
    RAM2.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 26
  • RAM3.jpg
    RAM3.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 26
Great addition for a Noco charger,I've bought at least 4 for my boats.
I have one available if anyone is looking! $200
NOCO Genius GENPRO10X2, 2-Bank, 20-Amp (10-Amp Per Bank) Automatic Waterproof Smart Marine Charger, 12V Onboard Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer and Battery Desulfator with Temperature Compensation https://a.co/d/3Cvpxk7

I have that NOCO charger plug extender on my boat, and had the same one on my previous boat. Works great, and no corrosion issues. Just don't forget to put the rubber plug back in when you're done with it.

I have one available if anyone is looking! $200
NOCO Genius GENPRO10X2, 2-Bank, 20-Amp (10-Amp Per Bank) Automatic Waterproof Smart Marine Charger, 12V Onboard Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer and Battery Desulfator with Temperature Compensation https://a.co/d/3Cvpxk7
Hey Rain City……. I’m interested in your charger. Cash is good but I may have a few things you might want in trade.
Wayne

Hey Rain City……. I’m interested in your charger. Cash is good but I may have a few things you might want in trade.
Wayne
I appreciate that, but I'd rather have the cash right now.

Cash it is! No MR3’s or an as new Sage 3113?
please call me to confirm $ transfer.
Thanks
Wayne

Cash it is! No MR3’s or an as new Sage 3113?
please call me to confirm $ transfer.
Thanks
Wayne
Hey Wayne, I would be cautious to enter your phone number on a public forum, with the number of scammers and spam calls that have been going around lately. Just a heads up.

Thanks Alex….. I'm just not that good at BCSF communications.
I'd rather shift to my own phone and email
Appreciated!
W

I installed the same NOCO Power Port and added a 2 bank charger recently, bought them at Canadian Tire as both were in stock and on sale.

Great quality and saved me from leaving my battery compartment open with an extension cord sticking out.

NOCO Plug.jpg

NOCO Plug and Battery Charger.jpg

Last edited:
Back