Pilot boat

Kildonan

So yesterday, from afar, I was watching the pilot boat approach the breakwater from being out in the strait, boats fishing everywhere.

I guess the guy in the pilot boat has had enough of boats in his way of late and layyyyys on the horn and then says into the PA system. "OPEN YOUR EYES!!!"

It's a busy place there at times. When it is I like to stay clear. :)

Um when I fished the waterfront; I thought "some" of those pilots were mean S.O.B, apparently "some" have little patience for sports fisher - ppl. I realize we fish around a working port; but hey even some boaters could learn that might isn't right...:(

Agreed, Sammy. The max wake while tearing through a small fishing pack tactic peeves me. It's easy to go around when there's less than 6 of us boats there.

But they don't all do it. Some purposely avoid the pack and wait a little longer to light up those engines.

The other day my daughter counted 40+ boats when we were out there.

Watched the pilot boat sink a small aluminum one day when me and the missus were taking a stroll on the breakwater.

These two guys were inside the wall jigging.......(last third of the wall)......pilot boat came out,went past them and the wake swamped 'em and in the water they went.

Pilot boat never turned back so I guess he didn't notice what had happened.

I'm nervous of the pilot boats had them bear down on me more then once. They come screaming around the corner of the wall too and when guys are trolling tight it can be close.

It's like they are running to an emergency every time they go out and come in. safety should always come first. I get it too its a working port and can be extremely busy but its also a recreational area for more then just fishermen so you'd think they could take the extra 2 minutes and give us all a bit more room.

Scary about the guys in the tin boat that stuff happens way too fast.

Just to avoid confusion, the guys driving the Pilot boats are not Pilots. Pilots are the passengers.
If a Pilot tells you your doing something wrong, you ARE doing something wrong. Pilot boat wake and speed is a separate matter.
A recreational boater questioning a pilot is equivalent to a junior high school football cheerleader telling Pete Carroll how to manage Russell Wilson.

The pilot boats are more or less a taxi for the pilots. The beef should be with the taxi driver. Anybody can suffer from a fat head, even these guys.

The taxi driver is a wanna be pilot so he has to show-off to the real pilot. You would think the real pilot would give the taxi-driver some advice. Not sure what there big hurry is, they must sit around a lot waiting for a call out, maybe they got the game on TV or playing poker or something. Definitely drink to much coffee.

Crew on Pilot boats are highly trained a lot of them are pilots also. The sea time/hurdles you have to do top get that job or ridiculous as well as certifications. It not easy getting next to a tanker in high seas etc. They have to get up to a ship when the pilot climbs aboard a ladder not easy..And rain/shine/big seas they do it. The guys at the pilotage are pretty cool . A lot of those pilots fish and have there own boats. Why not phone and voice concerns maybe they need a reminder and are unaware. I do know a few of the pilots boats are ex-whale watching guys.... Maybe he was kidding with you? Or maybe not... Maybe open your eyes meant be careful were coming in..... He shoudl know better to slow down...Another route you could go is contact the harbor master with concerns..... He will direct it straight to them that is his job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to avoid confusion, the guys driving the Pilot boats are not Pilots. Pilots are the passengers.
If a Pilot tells you your doing something wrong, you ARE doing something wrong. Pilot boat wake and speed is a separate matter.
A recreational boater questioning a pilot is equivalent to a junior high school football cheerleader telling Pete Carroll how to manage Russell Wilson.

^ Each and every sentence true. Just because we fish doesn't mean we're automatically without flaw. I know most of us have scant regard for jet skis and boats pulling wakeboards or waterskiers because they're preoccupied with their tow and likely to change direction without warning. Ever consider that other waterway users regard fishermen as preoccupied boaters as well? Very common to see boats wandering off line when there's a fish on. Now there is of course some snobbery out there from those who are paid to be on boats regarding recreational folks such as ourselves as tourists and amateurs. None of that makes attitude right.

Haha... Well said.

For the record, I was not the craft being told to "open my eyes". I'm smart enough to stay out of the way. ;)

I was observing the incident from a distance.

The pilot boat had a legitimate beef in this instance so I won't be phoning anybody to complain.

Seems to me most of the people on this forum are the guys doing the right thing. Over and over ones reads about guys talking about preparation, safety and responsibility. Even participating in this forum and sharing experiences, tips and techniques for being on the water leads me to believe its a forum made up mostly of the kind of people who pay attention to their surroundings.
Unfortunately, there are enough people out there with poor judgment doing the wrong things, that force commercial traffic to paint all recreational boaters with the same brush. You know your going to move out of the way, but the pilot bringing 70000 tons of ship on a carefully considered transit doesn't know that. He's thinking of the countless encounters he's had with people who don't seem to see him, don't care they've seen him, or don't realize that it's not that the ship doesn't want to slow down and go around them, but that they can't. The gong show in front of the Capilano river just before first narrows bridge is a perfect example. Lots of fisherman are doing the right thing. Lots aren't. Same with sailboats. There are oodles of excellent sailors on this coast, but unfortunately there are just as many who clearly have no training or aptitude. Commercial traffic HAS to assume the worst for everyone's good.
I agree that's no reason for attitude, hope my Russell Wilson joke didn't ruffle any feathers! At the same time, if commercial traffic has to hail recreational boaters at all, they are already in the way.
So many sail boaters think they have "right of way", forgetting rule 9 and 10 require THEM not to impede power driven vessels in narrow channels or traffic lanes. I've also seen 18' boats keep trolling ahead because the tug towing an 8000 ton barge is on their port side. Common sense dictates that's ridiculous, as well as the fact the tug is avoiding back eddys, fighting tide set, trying to make a tide ect ect ect. English Bay is usually the worst spot, with obviously clueless fishermen who don't even realize there are commercial traffic lanes, much less they are right in the middle of them. It's stressful enough trying to get business done out there, without having to worry about people endangering their families lives right in front of you.
As a fellow fisherman I always try to give fisherman a wide berth when I'm on the tug. Especially one with a fish on! But with thousands of tons on the line, deep sea traffic ahead and behind, and building tides and back eddys to deal with, yes you will get five short on the horn if your in the way. That said, I've also seen the port authority boats sent out by pilots to lay down the law, totally get it wrong and yell at the wrong boats!
Again, huge respect for the fisherman on this forum. I've learned a ton on here about more than just fishing.
Kildonan, meant no attitude your way at all, enjoyed the post.
Can't comment on the pilot boat happenings because I wasn't there, but doesn't sound very cool. I just wanted to point out that pilots are the elite mariners protecting our coast, and were not to blame said happenings.

No offence here either for my earlier comments. One would hope and i am sure all skippers of these pilot boats have been put through rigourous training and need to aquire the required tickets and pass the tests on seamanship and safety. Maybe the are not aware of the wake that follows these boats, they sure kick it up!!

They are pro's of the highest calibre. They should know better.

They do know better than 90% of the rec boaters who do drive with eyes closed alot of the time.
If you are a rec boater fishing in shipping lanes , you better keep eyes WIDE open and get the ##### outta the way of commercial traffic .
Plain and Simple !!!!

pilot boats on this side of the line do pick up and drop offs in a designated rendezvous location. easy enough to avoid the area as there is plenty of water out in the strait. check your chart to see if the same is true up your way.

They do that up here too reelfast. They will change the rendezvous point dependant on weather. It's where they tie up between trips that creates the issue. I've been the only boat out there and they will still buzz you even though it's totally unnecessary. They did it on a lumpy day last winter and made the boat rock so hard we lost our GPS position. There was plenty of room, the dude at the helm appeared to go out of his way to buzz us as he had to alter his course AFTER going by to make the turn in behind the Ogden Point breakwater.

jerks are always jerks no matter what their profession! being a professional and acting professional are very different.

Back