Osprey boats - Any issues?

32Knots

Looking at a 2001 Osprey. Is there anything to know about the hulls or issues?

Google didn't have to much to say. I know now they are built by seasport brand.

I’ve had two friends who have had issues with the exhaust manifolds on their inboard models.

The issue was, when they were traveling fasts and slowed down fast the back splash of water on the back of the boat would flow back up the exhaust manifolds. The problem was the exhaust manifold risers were not high enough.

One friend replaced the risers to higher risers and the back flow water never happened again. I guess the old risers were too close to the water line and they need to be above the water line.

The other friend had the same issue so pulled the engine and podded it.

Other wise both love the boats with no other issues. The new Osprey’s podded, sure looks nice but at a cost of $290K rigged is a lot.

These might be just two odd ball cases. But I saw the same issue on a turbo diesel on another friend boat. The water would run back up the exhaust manifold when stopping fast. After 50+ hours of operating and then sitting at the dock for a week the turbo would seize up. He went thought two warranty turbos and finally another mechanic (80+years old) looked at the issue. He change the risers to higher ones and no more turbo seizing up. I guess that little bite of saltwater was getting to the turbo was the issue.

No substitution for experience and being 80+ he has probably seen everything.

I’ve had two friends who have had issues with the exhaust manifolds on their inboard models.

The issue was, when they were traveling fasts and slowed down fast the back splash of water on the back of the boat would flow back up the exhaust manifolds. The problem was the exhaust manifold risers were not high enough.

One friend replaced the risers to higher risers and the back flow water never happened again. I guess the old risers were too close to the water line and they need to be above the water line.

The other friend had the same issue so pulled the engine and podded it.

Other wise both love the boats with no other issues. The new Osprey’s podded, sure looks nice but at a cost of $290K rigged is a lot.

These might be just two odd ball cases. But I saw the same issue on a turbo diesel on another friend boat. The water would run back up the exhaust manifold when stopping fast. After 50+ hours of operating and then sitting at the dock for a week the turbo would seize up. He went thought two warranty turbos and finally another mechanic (80+years old) looked at the issue. He change the risers to higher ones and no more turbo seizing up. I guess that little bite of saltwater was getting to the turbo was the issue.

No substitution for experience and being 80+ he has probably seen everything. If the engine overheats (usually on muffs) they burn.
There should be an EPDM rubber shutter at the base of the riser to stop the inrush. If the engine overheats (usually on muffs) they burn.

i do love em , but like any 20 year plus boat, fuel tank replacement. my buds got one and had to do it right away. and a small cabin means a bigger deck= awesome. far better than any half window walk around. IMHO.

I have been keeping my eye out for a 26 Long Cabin. IMO it’s the perfect layout for a family of 4 and still adequate dance floor.

All the research I have done and only two major complaints I commonly come across. The older diesel powered 26’ are slightly underpowered especially fully loaded. Most newer ones are outboard powered so this isn’t a problem.

The second complaint are the deck drains hoses have leaking problems and recommended to be changed/inspected right away if buying an older unit.

Great boat if its podded. Inboard not so much. The three I know the owners held onto them breakdown after breakdown with the inboard. Eventually they all podded them.

Last edited:
Old thread, but I'm basically doing a complete overhaul on a 2003 26' short cabin. A lot work, that I felt needed to be, than originally planned. Boat is coming along and all the oddball design issues will be fixed, but definitely a project.

Back