Ogden Point

Back in the late 60's as a kid fishing off the bc packers dock with a heavy handline and 2 herring for bait I caught a 65 lb skate we where fishing for octopus with that older guy with the paper carrier bike the one with the step though and small front wheel and the big carrier on the front he used to hang out with the boy scout guy with what looked like his eyes pinned back they where always there they taught me to fish there and when they caught octopus or skate or anything they would ride there bikes to Chinatown and sell it on the street my other good fishing spot was by the packers and dock under the Johnson street bridge anyone remember those guys.
Terry

My old man had picture of a 100lb skate he got down there and the story was identical to yours.....off to chinatown:D

We used to get some HUGE sea bass of the packers dock when i was a kid ... and off to china town we went ...lol

Maybe what I hooked was a skate then? Whatever it was didn't swim away fast and went in one direction at a steady pace. What kind of fish does that sound like? Whatever it was had to be more than 20lbs, cause that was what test line I was using. The drag was set plenty low, so it must have been a good size.

NautiGirl:- If the "Seabass" you are referring to are the small (up to 4 lbs) dark fish some people catch at Ogden Point in the evenings.....They are not "Seabass'....they are black Rockfish. There are no actual saltwater bass at Ogden Point.

If there is an RCA or a closure......the black Rockfish are included in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Black rock fish commonly called sea bass. Don't get too technical or we might have to call things by their scientific name.

Sort of. If you look at the map there is actually a small area around the breakwater that you can catch them.

I think what Seafever was trying to say was that a seabass is actually a black rockfish which is closed to fishing per the fisheries notice (FN 0849?) that says

Rockfish (Rockfish and Yelloweye Rockfish in the aggregate) will close to fishing in the following areas: Areas: 12 to 19, 20-5 to 20-7 and 29-5.

Good to know. Personally, I did not actually know it was considered a rockfish, but I never targeted them anyway. So Falcon, don't keep those dark grey seabass when shorefishing at this time of year, because they are closed around Victoria. I think they will re-open for one a day around June when the ling cod opening happens again.

Nautigirl: I was looking at a map that showed whih spots are ok for fishing nd which weren't. http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/maps-cartes/rca-acs/index-eng.htm follow the link an click away at the map until you are looking at area 19. The way I understnd it there are some spots you can fish and some you can't. But don't worry, regardless I have no intention of keeping something that small when the populations are in such danger. Also, some rockfi can hit over 100 years of age and the older they get the more fertile. To add to that, some can't ev breed until 18 years of age the way I understand it. So no, rockfish are not on my target list.

BGM: I have never seen a live octopus outside the undersea gardens when I was 5. I doubt what I had was an octopus as it was pulling out line at a steady rate, and much faster than an octopus could pull, though not as fast as say a salmon. It reminded me of the way I have heard stingrays fight. Going at a slow steady rate without stopping. Rays are a smilar shape to halibut and skate, which makes me think it may have been one of those. Who knows? We are all haunted by the one that got away. That would have been the biggest fish I have ever caught by far (previous record for me 15lb chinook). That is why I am so intrigued to what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the Octi was walking away on rock then I would say it could be possible, a good sized one could probably break 50lb if it didn't want to move. Even a smaller skate is capable of good runs on hali gear... So yeah... Who knows?

But that fast??? If I gave you the end of my line and you jogged away at a moderately fast pace, that would be somewhat comparable to the way it ran. I just don't know. It didn't seem like one. It broke the line while running, so it wasn't stuck to a rock or anything.

A walking octi wouldn't be like a person jogging.. Could a have been a larger skate that didn't realize it had a hook in its face?, at the same time they are capable of somewhat explosive runs

Hmm. Guess I'll never know...
I was recently given a massive ocean rod. 9' long (I think) but it looks like it is built to deal punishment. Ultra thick right to the end. Maybe I will get another round with whatever the heck it was.

Its fishing man.... Thats the stuff that keeps us coming back ;)

Back